2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

If our goal is championships, getting really talented players like Kawhi isn't enough. A good mix of superstars + players playing way above their pay grade is how you do it. We have that second part in spades with all these players on rookie contracts. We also have the cap room to straight up sign the stars we need thanks to Rob and Magic making good moves, so I'm not willing to hurt our cheap talent assets unless the trade is a undeniable win for us.

That means SA doesn't get 2 of our young core no matter what they want for Kawhi. They get 1 of the young core+ throw in players+ picks, but that's about it, or we lose that deal.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I'm not counting on George and was right there with you last summer on potentially trading for him.

I think there's a very real possibility we don't get him and I'm even less sold on Lebron coming here. Also, I'm not necessarily against a trade now just got a lot of questions about Kawhi right now.

There's little doubt of his talent when he's on but I'd like to know where his head is at and what's really happening with his injury.

3. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

The only young gun I’d trade for Kawhi is Lonzo. No way am I giving them Lonzo and Kuz. I’d have to find another way to make the salaries match. Ingram has proven he can run point, and with either Lebron or PG the ballhandling is set.

Ingram
    PG13
    Kawhi
    Randle or Kuzma
    Brook

Or

Ingram
    Kawhi
    Lebron
    Randle or Kuzma
    Brook

We also can roll the dice and wait until 2019 and lose nothing in return.

One huge factor that worries me is whether Kawhi is just a product of playing in Pop’s system, or is he a bonafide superstar?

4. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Can we sign PG and Lebron AND trade for kawhi (Ingram and Kuz)?
    Assuming we can unload Deng along with the cle pick, ZU and a future pick and then also let Randle walk.

Lonzo/Vet min ring chaser
    PG/Hart/Andre ingram
    kawhi/Hart
    Lebron/vet min ring chaser
    Brook really cheap/Bryant

Not saying I love this plan. Just throwing out instant contender grand slam swings by management.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Let's say we traded Deng/Cleveland Pick/Zu/2020 1st to Chicago for a 2021 1st. We're now looking at roughly 78.7 million dollars in cap space if we waive our rights to Lopez, Thomas, Wear, Ennis, Frye, Pope, and of course Julius.

You give a max contract to LeBron (35.4) and George (30.3) and we have roughly 14.2 million available.

If you package Ingram and Kuzma you can get to just barely enough room to get Kawhi although there might be some cap trickiness when it comes to trades this tight to the salary cap.

You could plausibly make that team though I believe assuming you took zero salary back in the Deng trade. Sign Lopez to the 4 million room exception. You could even bring back guys like Caruso, Wear, etc. afterwards for the minimum, we just wouldn't have their bird rights anymore.

Punk-101 likes this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    At what point is Kawai Leonard going to start affecting his free agency value? He has basically been out the whole year. What does this say about his durability, and is anyone going to be willing to risk $40 million a year on a guy willing to take a year off?

I’m starting to lean towards damaged goods, and one of those guys that you say “what if” when you think about his career.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I hate the whole conversation of blowing 2 or 3 more guys out to buy a top heavy team with 3 max salaries. And watch our young star potential players that we had for cheap to play alongside the first two superstars planned (LBJ and PG) now go blossom into major stars themselves on other teams. Not how I want to see the talent we have so fortunately acquired get utilized. Am a player fan as well as wanting rings. The ring isn't the only thing. And I think others feel this way. As do those that want to load up just as much as we can as quick as we can at the cost of the elite young talent we have. Two different trains of thought for sure.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

the problem is that the dwight treatment has happened exactly once, like, ever. generally, the team that trades for a star in his last year keeps him past that. else they won't trade for said star.

and again, we don't know what's happening there, and any team trading for leonard would certainly do their due diligence. it's possible that SA let him know a supermax wasn't coming, misdiagnosed his injury, then put pressure via the media to play through it. and he, like a sensible person, said, uh...f you. i'm not going to grant hill/isaiah thomas my way out of my next big payday so you can win a round in the playoffs.

they're only cheap talent assets for a short period of time, unless you plan on just churning them forever.

what if it's two young core and no picks AND they take deng's salary?

this is a reasonable take.

i just can't get behind the "we'll wait for the guy to become available, then offer him the same money to play with a bunch of 20 year olds that he can make playing with other superstars" plan.

tldr: trades are where it's at, bro.

ElginTheGreat and Bryant like this.
  9. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

The tenants will pay that gladly! :Laugh: I saw they were thinking about trading their picks to get Kawhi.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

what are their picks? 11 and 14 or something? given the historical value of those picks, you definitely offer those for leonard. you offer those even if you're not sure he'll return to form.

ElginTheGreat and sirronstuff like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, not much risk there....but can you imagine leaving the Spurs for the Clippers?

:Laugh:

***suddenly reaggravates unknown and undisclosed previous injury***

12. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah I saw that they would offer both of those picks + whatever SAS wants from what talent they have left.

I do agree with you re: Kawhi's situation, no one really knows what's going on with him and the Spurs. I think most would agree it's been handled pretty poorly, they should've put the hammer on the nail and say that he wasn't coming back earlier in the season.

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Once is enough when it happens to you. George Bush knows a great saying in Tennessee, it's in Texas I'm sure it's in Tennessee, that can help analyze the situation. I'm not giving up big assets for a one-year player with his baggage.

I'm not married to the kids we have, but I'm also not giving them away like candy on Halloween. It's not a smart use of our resources. If Kawhi signed an extension, passed a physical, and passed thorough vetting on his complete turnaround on the Spurs then sure let's talk about these kids. Otherwise, I'm not interested in giving away two of the top players from the last two drafts for the chance to get burned again.

14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I'd be too worried about us giving up assets for Leonard. The 76ers and C Bags can put together better packages and they are in the East...and neither of them were the Spurs chief rival for a decade.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  15. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

One young guy for Kawhi? I also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. You’re talking about the best wing defender in the league and a 50/40/90 guy who can score you 25 a night. He is going to win a MVP (health pertaining obviously) and win more rings and FMVPs.

The spurs won’t give him up for a bag of chips, no matter how much we overrate our players. I think even Lonzo, Kuzma and two 1sts might not be enough to get him and unload Deng.

Relying on signing multiple FAs is a once in a generation scenario, not something to bank on. I’d make trades happen.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

A pg/leonard pairing would be sick, adding BI to that pairing would be epic. I down to move ball n change for leonard....pg/ingram can easily initiate n run the O. BI aint no Simmons but he's more than capable of running an O imo, talk bout perimiter defense, those 3 would destroy gsw trio of klay/steph/kd defensively

svtzr likes this.
  17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Because Kawhi is a better player than George. Kawhi is a better defender, better shooter and s better offensive player overall. He doesn’t turn the ball over carelessly like PG, has better decision making and most importantly tries throughout the whole year.

For the last two seasons Kawhi has been top 3 in the league, Curry, Lebron and Kawhi. Followed by Harden, Durant and Westbrook. While there are arguments for PG not being a top 20 player.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Pg is a better 3pt shooter than kawhi imo, leonards 3 has to be wide open n setup unlike pg getting of his 3s on his own

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  19. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Kawhi is the better shooter in 2's, 3's and from the free throw line - PG is very streaky. Not sure why it's a bad thing to take wide open 3's? That comes back to my point on decision making.

Also, PG this season has taken 42.5% of his shots with 0 dribbles in a catch and shoot situation, compared to Kawhi's 33% last season. So Kawhi has to create more for himself and he is a more efficient scorer across the board.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Leonard has only shot 40% from 3s once in his career n on very low volume, pg did it 3x on higher volume (his last yr at indy was 39%, id call it 40 lol)

abeer3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.