2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I wouldn't be as annoyed as I am now if Magic, Rob and Jeanie didn't bend over backwards to sell us on the 2018 plan. Two max contracts! That's what we heard for months even though to get there we would have to get rid of some guys that are currently playing well on the team.

There are ways to save some face here but man it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Like being sold a brand new sports car only to find out it's been around the block several times.

Khmrp and abeer3 like this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I am too. That's why I want(ed) LeBron. :D

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, the russell hate is funny. what did he do? outplay our untouchables. what did we get? cap space we can't use or a center we don't want.

win? nope. terrible asset management born of overconfidence and inexperience.

that's what people are mad about. russell's not a star, but he could have been moved for something that wasn't unusable cap space.

Khmrp likes this.
  4. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

When Johnson and Pelinka took their posts...there was optimism but I had my doubts even before everything played itself out. The pair had a right to put a positive spin on our current situation and the future. George? If he will ever be a Laker, it could be three to four years from now when he's worn out his stay in OKC and will be playing for one last big pay day.

At this point, I would love to see them take a run at Leonard in 2019 even if it is unlikely he'll leave San Antonio but you never know. Thompson? I don't think he'll bail on the Warriors.

Cookie, therealdeal and Khmrp like this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We got Kuzma. I wasn't happy about the Lou trade either but we got Hart and that's all that really matters at this point.

6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Man I feel like I’m in Groundhog Day, reliving the same arguments over and over again since the summer. “We traded Russ for nothing!”. “No, we traded him to shed Mozgov’s contract, for Brook Lopez and a 1st round draft pick that got Kuzma.” “We would have taken Kuzma anyway at 28!”. “But then we wouldn’t have Hart!”. Looking forward to seeing this play out for the 1,000th time. Then I’ll go read how it’s both impossible and pretty much guaranteed that LeBron goes to Houston stated repeatedly.

:Ingramsawinglogs:

Juronimo, Cookie, TIME and 6 others like this.
  7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Agreed. Hindsight is pointless. As is the Dlo talk. I wish it would stop.

Weezy likes this.
  8. therealdeal

Hate? I could have hated on him, but I didn't. I just stated facts. I could have pointed out that he was a locker room distraction.

I could have pointed out that the coaching staff openly said he wasn't focused.

Who would have thought that?

Right?

The kid was great.

The FO has put us in a position where we are 1) better than we were last year, 2) have better youth, 3) have better veterans, 4) are more competitive, and 5) are genuinely improving. But sure. This trade was awful and stupid and Russell deserved better and we could have done more.

Weezy and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Weezy, Real and I can head over to the Star Wars thread and rekindle our argument over The Last Jedi. I'm sure we wouldn't be beating a dead horse. :D

Weezy, therealdeal and alam1108 like this.
  10. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Oh you had issues with that movie did you? News to me.

:Fishwink:

therealdeal likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I'm not one to debate movies and such. But I gotta say that the series Longmire on Netflix with its 5 or 6 seasons that I really liked a great deal .... had the stupidest last 15 minutes of a nonsensical ending in the history of show business.

12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Thank you and I agree whole heatedly agree.

We got rid of moz's deal as well. And as bad as Brook has been this year at time he has been light years better than anything moz gave us last year. Also, does Russell get hurt and miss 2-3 months with us if we had kept him because of his knee surgery? We also don't get Hart and Bryant if we don't make that trade.

I agree with Eric in that the plan of our FO wasn't wrong or faulty, but their messaging has been. I still believe in them but we gotta start building a team and not just kicking the can down the road.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Cookie, Khmrp and therealdeal like this.
  13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Trade deadline is two days away and it seems pretty quiet. Besides the Griffin trade that happened last week, we had a pretty small trade Nets/Bucks trade. A lot of teams gauging value. A lot of playoff teams trying to shore up any weaknesses.

14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Nope. Not after claiming that THEY will get s*** done, unlike their predecessors (again, Magic). You don't get the benefit of the doubt after you've kicked your way in and pounded your chest.

Khmrp likes this.
  15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

oh yeah, everyone piled on russell after he was dumped at his lowest possible value by people with nothing invested in him (you know, like they would have with randle and clarkson earlier in the year had they had any takers).

i said he outplayed our untouchable players. you retort with trashtalk about him after the fact, lowlights, and even some innocuous stuff. not sure what you're proving? i could link to his big scoring games and big shots and quotes from people inside and outside of the organization claiming he'd be a star.

people like to reframe the trade to protect their emotions, but the truth is that had anyone suggested it before it happened 95% of laker fans would have screamed about how insulting it was to even dream of offering such nonsense for a #2 overall pick who--contrary to popular belief--had been not at all disappointing.

now we take credit for kuzma and russell's knee injury (whilst completely dismissing ball's troubling absences, btw).

*shakes head*

anyway, i guess we can talk about preserving some space for 2019 for the next year and a half...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Khmrp likes this.
  16. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Every time I see your AVI guy lurking from the bushes I think of Dudley Moore in the movie 10. The opening scene in this clip at the wedding and then at 1:08 while being a voyeur with the telescope and the fall down the hill. Softens some for me your irrational hate of Jeanie Buss and Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.

:Laugh:

17. therealdeal

Everyone who? There was at least a 50% split in here at the time of people saying this was the dumbest move ever and Russell was the greatest thing to happen. Hell people left this site because of that move. At his lowest possible value we netted a 1st and got rid of an albatross. If anything you've proved it was an excellent move by the FO to get that kind of return at the bottom of his value.
    You know exactly what I'm proving: he was a malcontent. I'm ecstatic to not have that nonsense in our locker room. He had very good moments and moments so bad and embarrassing that I've fought to forget he wore this uniform. I rooted for the kid, but his attitude was always a problem. Hopefully that has improved in Brooklyn with some more perspective. But again, why the adulation for this kid? Why bring him up again? He didn't accomplish anything as a Laker and he's not a Laker anymore.
    Protect my emotions? No. I'm good. I liked the move. The #2 overall pick stuff is all well and good, but when that guy isn't what he should have been, does it matter? We've often had discussions about the crapshoot nature of the draft and how picks are hit and miss. You were adamant pre-draft that Ball wasn't going to be that important and that you'd trade that pick if you could, but now that #2 status is a shield in this discussion preserving some sort of value that Russell had. Yet you also use the "untouchable" tag to disparage Ingram in favor of Russell.
    I never brought up Russell's injury and he's missed more than twice as much time (34 games) than Lonzo has (16 games). And of course we take credit for Kuzma, why wouldn't you? He was obtained with the exact pick we traded for. Is that a stretch?
    *shrugs shoulders*
    Should be fun. :D

18. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers MVP -

Getting Kuzma and Hart is a trade I make 100 times out of 100 at this point for Russell. Hart is a D-Fish impact player for the future. Stats and ability will be secondary, his intangibles are huge on a young team. Kuzma is Kuzma. He looks like he's going to be a superstar.

Juronimo likes this.
  19. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Lol

However, I think I’ve rationalized my hate plenty of time.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

makes no sense. you simply don't move players at their lowest value point.

he played better basketball than our current crop. our current crop has also done absolutely nothing. you down with ingram/deng for an expiring and the 28th pick this summer?

i was in favor of trading the #2 pick for someone proven. russell wasn't traded for someone proven. he was traded for cap space. or a 4rpg center. take your pick.

i'm still all for trading the young players for players who are better. i would have gladly traded russell for a talented veteran. if you'll recall, i was one of his bigger detractors in terms of his demeanor (since pre-draft, i might add!). so this suggestion that i'm in love with russell is preposterous. i just know a lame front office move when i see one, and that one stunk when it wasn't immediately followed by capitalizing on the leverage.

when we had the pick after? absolutely.

and as i said already: russell missed 18 games in two years with the lakers. ball's about to eclipse that in 2/3 of one year.

ball/deng for expiring/28th pick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.