2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's young, exciting, their best player, and they're terrible. i'd take calls on trades, but i wouldn't make them.

no, but i don't feel comfortable trading them for space and mediocre picks, either.

Cookie and Barnstable like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

at this pt i bet rob/magic wouldnt even put their job on the line for just 1 max fa this off season

3. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I guess I don't understand what we're debating. Right now they have been leading us to victories except for the last loss but both of those guys actually played well in that game. Neither Julius nor Clarkson are top tier level superstar type players. They both play roles and they have proven that they play them extremely well this season. Clarkson doing the sixth man role has been great. He's shooting a high percentage, putting up the second highest points for a bench guy in the league and doing it in short minutes. His D still isn't great, but he's also gone back to setting the table for others lately which is good to see.

Randle we've all talked about a million times, but he's very much improved, he's our best big defensively with his ability to switch on anyone, and his scoring, rebounding and shooting percentage have been solid.

No one is confusing either one of these guys with top level superstars like Cousins, PG, Kawhi, Lebron, Durant, etc. But they have been our best players on the court during this stretch and contributing in a huge way to wins. Not sure how that part is debatable.

Clarkson is on a decent contract for his production. Randle of course we have to figure out in terms of what he is going to cost going forward. We wouldn't even be talking about this if it weren't for the 2 max discussion. I'd still rather keep Randle if possible unless we have to attach him to a Deng dump. I could see moving Clarkson if necessary.

tada, SamsonMiodek, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  4. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

The empire stikes again.

sirronstuff, abeer3 and Barnstable like this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't disagree with any of this.

My point is that knowing they aren't good enough to carry us, I have no problem letting them go for the right price. Randle has played himself into a position of strength. Clarkson has been fine, but if I can clear cap space and get a decent asset in return, I'd rather do that.

gcclaker and lakerjones like this.
  6. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

Well said. And if we can get rid of Deng while doing so, even better.

Randle and Clarkson have pretty much peaked, so we know what we're getting if we hang onto them.

7. lakerjones

I get that. I'm not sure Clarkson is going to net us a first rounder. If he did it might be time. Earlier this year I had my doubts that Hart could replace Clarkson, but at this point I'm fine with it. Hart has improved his shooting a great deal. He won't be as efficient or have as specific a role as sixth man, but I think overall he could be an upgrade over Clarkson because of his great D and the fact that he isn't prone to ball hog or over dribble.

gcclaker likes this.
  8. lakerjones

I don't think Randle has peaked. He's getting better in my opinion and in our system with more minutes I believe he will continue. I only move Randle in a Deng dump and even then I might regret it if we don't bring in 2 top tier FA's. That's why I advocate waiting till summer regarding Randle. We'll see.

tada, Cookie, Kenzo and 4 others like this.
  9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

seriously....we dont know if randle will add a jump shot n 3pt shot yet, a 35% ish 3pt shooting with 45-47% mid range would make randle a totally different beast. jc has peaked but his stats could look better if he got more pt

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Yeah, Randle is the one I can see us kicking ourselves if we let him go for anything less than a home run trade.

I don't think he's peaked at all. I feel like we forget how little playing time hes had to this point. He missed a full year, so hes really only played in the league a few years now.

I see a beast in the making and I really don't want to let him go unless its a no brainer.

11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

dall would eat contracts 4 picks but nobody will give pure expiring for deng/assets...so i suggests this
    deng/2020 1st top 5 protected 1st for Powell/maybe a 2nd rd if rob is good at his job....

this gives us plan A n plan B. Powell makes 9mill less than deng for 18-19 season, so if we move both randle n clarkson we'd have 2 max. BUT if you just move jc n stretch powell, now you have 2 max n some left to offer to randle

thoughts?

12. Toneloc

Toneloc - Rookie -

When is he going to add those elements to his game? Next year? Two years?

Don't get me wrong here... I'm not saying I want them off the team... I just don't expect to see any big leaps in their game moving forward. Yes, Randle has been improving; I just think we should capitalize on that current opinion in order to dump Deng (as unlikely as it seems for any organization to take on his contract).

** Edit: I imagine Randle being very effective when we get a star or two on the team. That goes for a lot of these guys on the roster right now. But what's clear at this point is that they will never be that star to lead the team.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

girffin didnt have a 3pt shot till maybe his 5th yr, love wasnt shooting 3s at high volume till his 4th yr....so i dont know n its not guranteed, thats the risk youd have to take...n randle has those shots just need the % to improve

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah Ramona said the Lakers were getting offers for 1sts but not without cash returning as well. I don't really think that's worth it.

One of my favorite ideas was trading him to Cleveland for Crowder/Frye/CLE first for Clarkson/2nd.

Crowder would be committed salary but in a good role player I can live with that. Frye means 7 or so million off the books. The Lakers get another asset in the 1st that they can use or use to move things around.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i've proposed the bones of this for weeks.

randle/deng for powell/mcroberts/noel

you can sub devin harris for mcbobs (or noel), too.

it's essentially stretch-waiving deng but getting a useful piece (i wouldn't cut powell, he's worth his salary, imo).

i think it works for both teams. dallas doesn't need the cap space right now, and they'd probably like to control randle's RFA.

alam1108 likes this.
  16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I dont want to include Randle, my ver would at least give us the OPT to keep Randle if JC is moved for expiring. I'd cut Powell if Randle could be retained but if Randle is moved in a seperate deal then yes I would keep Powell. I dont see the pt in expanding the trade to include randle, I value him more than the 2020 pick, we have more enough youth to develop...

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm wary of giving away 1sts at this point. at the rate we've been going, that could be another top 10 pick we convey.

also, dallas apparently wants randle.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

increase the protection then, to top 10 and lower as we go. I'm sure at least 1 of these 2 scenario happen by then, either we're middling treadmill team as ball/ingram/kuzma would be 3rd/4th yr players by then and or we have at least 1 max guy thats good on the team by 2020, should at least be bottom half playoff team

19. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

same idea/goal after season is over, if Queen james leaves clev, doesnt have to come to la

deng/2019 top 10 protected 1 with decling for jr smith.

smith had 14mill due next yr n partial gurantee after that (bout 4mill i think) we would stretch out 18mill over 5 season....saves us boat loads of $

20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I like this just because makes sense knowing how much Dal wants Randle. I don't like it cause I still don't know what to do with it he Randle.

We get that back up pg with Harris, Powell is a Nance lone but easier contract to deal with, and maybe Noel gets his head out of his a** and be the perfect C we need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.