2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I would pick Julius, but I'm not sure that's a popular decision around the NBA. Capela is highly efficient, athletic, and can protect the rim. He's a poor man's DeAndre and he does his job well. We've seen those types of players get massive paydays literally forever in the history of the NBA. Undersized Centers/Power Forwards who can't shoot, even ones as talented as Julius, don't typically fetch that kind of payday.

I'd love to keep Julius as our 6th man/small ball 5/lineup of death type of guy. I'd even be fine paying him a big contract after we've added one or two max deals. Unfortunately I'm not sure how viable that is so if there's a way we could dump Deng with Randle while acquiring cap space and a pick or a player worth taking a chance on (I'm not sure honestly if Noel fits that description), I'd have a hard time saying no.

Keep in mind, if you trade Randle you're still looking at a young core built around Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, and Nance with Bryant and Zubac in the wings. That's still a LOT of youth and that's not include Clarkson.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and tada like this.
  2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Julius has the higher ceiling for sure, but Capela fits our needs of an inside scorer and defensive presence.

He’s doing well for himself in Houston and his mobility at his size fits the pace for a small ball Center.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and tada like this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I’d be dead.

Juronimo, Cookie, Toneloc and 3 others like this.
  4. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I know, but It’s better than having to give up one of Ingram, Zo, or Kuz.

At least with getting Nerlens back, as much as he hasn’t shown any promise, he does have a chance to redeem himself on a young team like ours and if he pans out, we own his bird rights. Even if he ends up been like Capela, that would work in our favor.

5. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Randle has shown real progress this season . He's 23 and at 12-15 millions he's a keeper.

You just can't dump him to clear cap space .

As for Capela , he's a good player but how efficient would he be without James Haren and with our poor spacing ? Now imagine how Randle would perform in Capela's current role ... already being one of the best PNR rollers in the league worst offense

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I long for the day for scenarios that get us a final championship piece vs angling to get to .500 or opening cap space for a pipe dream

[​IMG]

OmarE, Cookie, Toneloc and 8 others like this.
  7. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

So do I sirron, so do I!

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I mean, if basketball was like NBA Jam and there were only 2 guys per team, you'd have an argument. But Randle and Clarkson's usage not leading to wins has less to do with them and more to do with them being surrounded by a bunch of 20 year old kids and the Ennis/Caruso's of the world.

9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

10. therealdeal

I think there's room for both sides to have a good point here. No the team isn't tremendous especially without Lonzo on the floor, but if JC and Julius were good enough to lead us to victories it'd probably have shown a little more by now. Julius is by far the closest to being able to do it as we've leaned on him a handful of times to go win us a game, but if he was clearly able to carry us, we wouldn't even contemplate letting him go, right?

It's a brutal conundrum with Ju. Right now I'm on the side of wait unless someone wants to take Deng with him. i'm all for moving Jordan right now when his value is at its highest.

Barnstable and gcclaker like this.
  11. therealdeal

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

why on god's green earth would orlando trade gordon?

13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Lmao why would you trade your best player. I'd look to move Payton before Gordon.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

maybe gordon is gona ask for max? i like the guy too but this season is a big anomaly to his 1st 3yrs, especially 3pt shooting n its declining. i would be very leary of paying Gordon max, i wouldve said same thing bout randle if he was performing like gordon this season

15. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Yet, you bring in 2 max type guys, give them the same usage ratio and surround them with 20 year olds and sim the season. My bet is we have more wins. At the very least, LA would be on fire!

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Julius and Clarkson have been leading us to victories without Lonzo. We just went 8 and 3, most of that without him. Clarkson put up some phenomenal games with 25 plus points scoring plus great assist and rebound numbers. Julius continues to play really well as a starter and is helping us win. Am I missing something here?

tada, SamsonMiodek, Cookie and 3 others like this.
  17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

of course they would, the uncertainty of that happening is what most are concerned with...whats the contingency plan if not even 1 max come and we're 2 less solid players on the team?

18. therealdeal

They've been here for 3 years and I think it's pretty clear which is the norm and which isn't for their ability to carry us. Do you feel comfortable letting them carry us for the future?

Toneloc likes this.
  19. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@Khmrp 2 Max players come to the table and agree to sign...oh s***, Jules and JC are still on the roster. There's some spiteful owners out there so our potential trade partners dwindle if we wait for a free agent commitment. Of course you need a contingency, but you also need to project an unfavorable scenario. We sit on these guys and wait to trade them when FAs agree to commit...however, at that point we're looking at paying a premium to deal those guys away (or even letting them walk away for no assets in return in Jules' case) because opposing GMs will know we are at their mercy and they have the leverage in order to make our 2 max fantasy a reality.

The contingency is you deal those players away right now, in order to prevent the scenario described above from happening.

And again, we're losing with them. So if this same roster is without them next year, then find more stop gaps and go find a star. Those 2 aren't stars and possibly never will be. We need a star. That's blatantly obvious by now. Till then, you can't let them block you from potentially bringing in stars that want to play with each other and you certainly can't let an asset like Jules walk away for nothing in return.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

move clarkson 1st, jr is up to our discretion, he should be the contingency plan...another yr of this bs is another yr us fans have to endure a bad product

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.