2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

For what it’s worth, Lou and Bradley are expiring contracts, they’re unrestricted free agents this summer. If you want to re-sign Bradley, yeah, trading for him probably helps, but it doesn’t guarantee it. So as far as assets they aren’t bad, but they aren’t going to get something amazing (it took Bradley, Harris, 2 picks to get Griffin), and as far as attracting stars to the roster next season they don’t really count at all.

Barnstable likes this.
  2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Probably a Lopez+Clarkson type of deal might work then. Deandre is looking for an extension and we could give it to him. Perhaps we include Randle as well in Sign and Trade, where we get their or Detroit’s 1st, and DJ is no longer just a rental.

3. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

If DeAndre is in our future Randle is the one that needs to go due to fitment. Kuzma would work much better next to DeAndre.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

jerry west and room to work? people keep selling our young core, but one can still argue that a) none looks to be a franchise player and b) none are within two years of allstar level play. to a player like a lebron, they're trade chips, imo. the clippers could pull the trigger on trades with all the picks with which they'll be armed by the time they're done dumping lou and moving jordan.

am i certain it will happen? absolutely not. lebron's going to houston and george is staying in okc. but don't be surprised if the clippers field a better team than the lakers next year.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

My thing has always been that getting LeBron and PG3 sounds more like a message board fantasy from fans than a true strategy to build a team. It was always going to take several things falling perfectly into place and breaking in our favor. And that’s even if we had an experienced front office.

We’ve watched multiple big name players move for what looked like questionable deals. We can’t get rid of anyone. We wanted Avery Bradley among other people and couldn’t put together a deal for him. Now he’s across the hall playing for the guy who doesn’t bother you all.

I think West is in the middle of doing what he always does - putting together a pretty solid roster that will be ready to at least compete next year.

I think we’re spinning our wheels a bit and praying for home runs / grand slams next year.

I remain hopeful Magic and Co pull this off. But I know West knows how to build a team. Will he pull in the big time free agents? I don’t see how he has less a chance than we do. I just don’t. We’ve played that Laker mystique card and been completely embarrassed more times than I can count at this point. I just don’t think that’s going to work.

We do have good young players. Hopefully that will carry weight and Magic has more juice than I’m giving him credit for.

I need to see it though before I can breathe easy on any of this.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    abeer3 likes this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    if we trade for Deandre Jordan, will our team free throw % actually improve....

:Mindblown:

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The Lakers young core is already today better than what the Clippers will have for Bron/George to play with. Next argument.

All those picks and... nothing to play with. Nobody. The Lakers have assets to move and players to play with. There's no argument there.

There's zero argument for the Clippers over the Lakers besides personal preference and Jerry West. Again, I'll take my chances. There's nothing there and I will be very, very surprised if the Clippers field a better team than the Lakers not just next year, but over the next 3-5 years.

9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I get that technically anything can be called an asset. But typically when someone says assets in terms of basketball, you're referring to something people want. Lou and the picks are the only things that I can see people actually calling about."Serviceable players" are on a lot of rosters. Bradley is more than serviceable, but isn't having a good year at all. Harris? I mean, he's decent stretch 4, but no one is coming to the Clippers to play with Gallinari and Harris. But in a trade, what do you get with two middle to late first rounders and Harris?

They are in a better position now and closer to getting back to the playoffs, but only because they have hit the reset button. Granted, another issue is with Harris and Bradley, they aren't great players, but they are good enough to win some games that will keep their own pick from getting too high. This coming draft will have them picking like 12, 15, and 29.

10. therealdeal

What solid roster is being put together? Please point to the pieces that the Clippers are likely to have for their future that are better than the Lakers' players with the possible exception of Jordan if he stays.

I don't disagree that the LeBron/George sweepstakes is at best a crapshoot, but you still cannot build an argument for the Clippers over the Lakers. All you have is an 80 year old Jerry West and a worse atmosphere, climate, financial situation than the Lakers. You haven't been able to argue against any of my previous points: how do the Clippers build trust into their pitch? Who believes a word they say now after their pitches to Jordan and Griffin? How do they explain Paul, a respected player representative, deciding to leave their organization? How do they argue against the ancillary financial benefits? The legacy (merchandise) benefits?

All you guys have said is "West and cap space" which isn't a strong enough argument to me.

11. Savory Griddles

I have a one word argument that destroys your entire argument: GALLINARI

;)

12. therealdeal

I just realized my posts sound meaner than I mean them...

I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just really honestly looking for a strong argument besides "Jerry West". I would like to see why the Clippers feel confident.

13. Savory Griddles

And I gave you one. GALLINARI!

(I'm actually in total agreement with you though.)

14. lakerfan2

I’d include Randle if DJ agreed to a Sign and Trade. Something like Lopez+Randle+Zu for DJ.

Then we can move Clarkson elsewhere for draft picks or something.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

should still try to trade for bradley, vlipps will need a guard like jc once they move rivers/lou

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm not sure how "a historically great basketball mind with power over personnel decisions" isn't compelling.

it's pretty simple: i trust west more than our management team. if the situation was reversed, and the clippers had a bunch of 20 year-old non-stars and a rookie management team that has looked pretty shaky, you'd be laughing at them for suggesting they were in a great position relative to us.

who's our best player this year? ingram? randle? ball? kuzma? we're laughing at the clippers roster?

subjective variables like climate, branding, etc. aren't compelling to me. as elgin already stated, we've seen how that goes. and if you're suggesting that this is a wonderland now that rob and magic are here, i'll direct your attention to the reports of unrest and dissatisfaction in the locker room due to our management's treatment of players and this season in general.

again, i put the probability of success next year as pretty low for both teams, but to simply dismiss them as a team that might be able to out-maneuver us in terms of trades and FA...that requires some purple and gold goggles, imo.

tada, alam1108 and ElginTheGreat like this.
  17. lakerfan2

I was thinking about that, but the Clips are probably looking for that cap space to go after the big fish too.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

lol, didn't see this!

next argument? hell no. this is what everyone's missing: we're a bad basketball team. we don't have good basketball players. we have a hope that these guys will become good basketball players. i can't stress this enough. FAs don't care about our hopes.

austin rivers is the butt of our jokes but would be one of our best players. as would tobias harris, gallinari, lou williams, and certainly deandre jordan. we couldn't even sign greg monroe in FA! look at the list of available players after lebron/george are off the board.

anyway, i'm not sure what the argument is anymore. if it's who's going to be better for the next three years, i'd put it at fairly even odds with the clips slightly ahead (a lot depends on what happens with jordan, imo, but again: i don't doubt jerry west). if it's about who's attractive to free agents this summer, i'm not sure i care, as the market isn't going to be very good. but i will reiterate that no star has ever jumped to a team of 20 year olds who won 33 games.

19. therealdeal

Yes I am absolutely laughing at the Clippers roster sans Jordan and probably Lou Williams. In fact, they'd better keep those two if they want to have any chance at convincing even a single max deal here.

Austin Rivers. Danilo Gallinari. Tobias Harris. Those guys strike more confidence in you than Ball? Kuzma? Ingram? Not just from a talent perspective, but from a financial impact perspective that's just preposterous. I am absolutely laughing at that roster compared to ours once they've gutted their entire franchise. Now they've role players that they'll have to probably cut. The Clippers with Griffin/Jordan won 6 more games than the Lakers. Hell the Lakers have probably lost 6 games easily that are from young, fixable mistakes. Not a good sign for the rest of their cast.

You're ignoring the damage that the Clippers have done to their own brand. How does trading your superstar sell? How does selling two of your superstars sell? How does Chris Paul leaving you sell?

No the Lakers "mystique" doesn't need to be the end game here, but if/when the Clippers sell off Jordan/Williams, they are in the same position the Lakers were in 2013-2014. Why is that a compelling landing spot? Because of Jerry West? What does Jerry West have to sell?

And if you're easily dismissing everything else, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean Laker fans almost voted Kuzma and Ball into the All-Star game. What does that tell you? Griffin wasn't even voted in this year. Jordan wasn't voted in this year. That doesn't happen if they're Lakers and many of these guys have bonuses for All-Star games, you command more money as an All-Star, let alone player goals for themselves.

Also, my argument isn't necessarily that we are more stable of an organization because we're still clearly rebuilding, but the Clippers just turned over the two best players in their franchise history, there are COUNTLESS takes of Doc Rivers being a massive problem over there and if they fire him/he leaves then there's more turnover for them.

I simply cannot see how the Clippers are an attractive landing spot besides "Jerry West". If that's all you need, that's great, but I'll take my chances. Seems like we're going to have to agree to disagree, but I don't see how the Clippers can be confident in this plan.

20. therealdeal

LeBron literally did that already. Exactly that.

Cavs 2014- 33 wins
    Cavs 2015- signed LeBron James

TIME and wallangong like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.