2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

No to Jennings. If you thought Vander Blue was a black hole...

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    weren't they both in NY?

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Jennings isn't any better of a mentor for Lonzo and is a worse player than Rose. By a wide margin. I'd rather have Sessions, Clark, or maybe even Ennis over Jennings.

I'm not a huge Derrick Rose fan, but the guy can still play. He'd improve our roster. It's a legitimate question if he'd be okay as a 6th man being a former MVP and only 28/29 years old, but it seems like he's going to be a 6th man no matter where he goes at this point. Rose last season posted 18/3.8/4.4 in 32 minutes played. Those are solid numbers. It's the best he's played since he was last an All-Star in 2012 actually.

The character issues are real. He's obviously got baggage now, but he was a golden boy early in his career. If he's truly repentant, and all we've seen is "all Derrick wants is to play ball", then he actually would make a good mentor for Lonzo in a "don't follow this path" sort of way. Like @SeasonVet24 posted: they share a similar path to the start of their careers even if they're different players. Rose got hurt and slid HARD to where he is now making poor decisions and getting into trouble off the court. If he comes here, willing to take a backup role, and just "play ball" Lonzo in some ways might honestly be good for Rose. I'm not going to count on that of course, which is why this is a 1-year deal offer, but I don't see the harm at all. If you can bring 18 points per game potentially off the bench, that's a good deal, especially if you can get rid of him easily.

There's also a sub-text benefit of: if the Lakers are strong enough right now to lure Derrick Rose away from Cleveland (a three straight Finals team looking at a probable fourth) while offering the exact same role with only a couple million dollars... That's a hell of a good sign and would be terrific PR for the Lakers FO who can continue to tout the "we're back" horn and continue saying "people want to be with the Lakers now and we're back on the map". It's a great feather in the cap and something they can use next summer as well. Baggage or not, that's a former MVP who is only 28 years old agreeing to come off the bench for a lottery team.

And again: if we pass, I'm okay too. I'm just not writing Rose off early. For what it's worth, I'd rather have Rondo than Rose, but I get both of them. I'd be just fine with Clark, Ennis, or whomever else we go with too.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i didn't expand, but i guess i needed to:

his style of play does not fit with our current philosophy in any way, shape, or form, and the dude is a bona fide headcase. just listen to the weird s*** that comes out of his mouth. keep your distance. there's a reason he's still unsigned after those stats.

TIME likes this.
  5. therealdeal

He's better than the people who do fit what we're doing. By a large margin. I'd have to know how his interview went, but a one-year deal for a guy with his talent isn't something I'm sweating at all. We could waive him if we wanted to and it wouldn't hurt that bad. Hell if he's truly an issue, the Lakers can afford to buy him out and give him his full paycheck and watch him leave meaning we don't even have to stretch him or anything.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

The subtext is the only reason I'd be okay with Rose.

7. sirronstuff

You don't waste 3 hours with someone you don't want on your team. So there's that.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

LTLakerFan, Toneloc and therealdeal like this.
  9. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Neither Rondo or Rose fit this team, but Rondo would be much closer to a fit than Rose.

What is it about a fragile head case ball hogging lead guard who can't hit a three point shot if his life depended on it and has never shown ANY inclination to mentor anyone that says good fit?

What he does have is a huge name. I believe Magic is somewhat enamored with big name players. It's a chink in his armor.

10. sirronstuff

what does this have to do with Chinese dudes?

:Shaqwink:

Purp n Gold and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

werd, time. do not see the logic in either pursuit. add jennings to that list, too.

the rose/rondo pursuit has to simply be muscle-flexing: we can get guys to consider taking less money to play here/we can get guys to consider playing here instead of for a contender.

i sort of get that angle, but my concern is with the on-court product. they jettisoned lou williams and d'angelo russell, but we must pursue rondo and derrick rose?

Weezy, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that's ricist

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

speaking of Chinese dudes, where's Sun Yue when you need him? So we have light skin Magic, how bout we get the Chinese Magic too? :Magic2:

alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

At the same time, Magic and Rob spent 3hr with each Rondo and Rose. They didn't spend that amount of time with anyone else I can remember, so maybe they have the same character reservations we have, and felt they needed some convincing for them to consider either.

Apparently Rondo didn't check off all the boxes of what they wanted financially or character wise because it seems they didn't make him an offer.

It sounds like Rose might have convinced them that he wouldn't have any character issues in LA since it's reported that they made some kind of offer for him.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  15. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

16. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Soooo....he's one of the last PG picked but he's going to be a primodonna with his decision.

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I wonder if Ennis is still working out most every day in the Lakers facility?

18. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

What if we are signing Rose, because magic has a plan to trade jc, Deng and picks to someone for a 1 year vet like Dwyane Wade or x player. Then sign Ennis and Rose to backup sg.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  19. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

20. therealdeal

BLOW THIS UP! :D

How gone is LeBron now??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.