2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think boston was just trying to get george cheap, same as houston. we think it's about the lakers, but to them, it was probably about simply being a FA who would be a bit daffy to extend (actually, i'm still trying to figure out why cp opted in and chose to forego 200 million...shady business in houston, imo). in other words, we're reading it as "george is going to the lakers" whereas ainge was just thinking "there's a chance george doesn't stay here".

most importantly, the other teams were good and will count on more chris paul stuff happening next summer. can't stress enough how problematic our suckiness is for our plan. boston had to finish 1st and 2nd in the conference and have max room just to get second-tier stars to join them. we're trying to get first-tier stars armed with 25 wins.

or this year. still think it might have been possible to be players on the FA market this week with george in hand. who says hayward doesn't take a meeting with us?

would you agree that while this collusion worked to get george out of indy, it actually worked against getting him to the lakers? was it a good strategy then? would it have been better to just ask george to play out the string in okc and you'd prepare the roster as he wanted it?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Hindsight is 20/20 but we dodged a few bullets there with the big name free agents.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, we will see.

4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, melo, monroe...the list is filled with guys you're glad you missed on.

i know i'll get killed for it, but i liked the theory behind mozdeng. the execution was just terrible. unfortunately, our current coach was involved with that part, so it can't just be thrown on mitch and jim like everything else.

5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Verticality!!!

:Waltonfingerwave:

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Is there really a difference? If he's not staying in Boston, where is he going? The only heavily rumored destination for him has been LA. The other ones were good teams trying to get to him without much success (no assets to give up) where he might stay if they win or go to the Finals or something. In the end, the fear is there regardless that he's leaving so he's a rental. Okay, fine, he's a rental: if you're Boston why aren't you selling off your assets and going all in on a rental? If they were able to send just a couple players and a pick to beat the god awful offer from OKC, they could get George, Hayward, and now maybe Marc Gasol all in one off-season. They didn't do it. Why?

As for Chris Paul: he's a sneaky guy. By opting in and taking the trade, he makes sure Houston has his Bird Rights. Now he can get 20 million this summer and still sign the 5/200+ deal next summer if he wants to stay there. Plus he ends up in a city that doesn't have state income tax so he makes even more than he would in LA. He didn't make the Top 15 jersey sales so it's not like his brand was doing fabulous under the Clippers anyway. He got a couple endorsements out of them, but he can probably keep those wherever he goes now. He could also leave and still get a 4/130 if he hates in Houston so he really didn't end up giving up much of anything yet.

Again: how much faith do you have in their collusion? That's what it boils down to. Some don't, some do. I think there's far too much smoke to think we're approaching this the same way Mitch did. It's been spelled out for us by Ding I think that we're not making the same mistakes by connecting dots before FA hits. Mitch wouldn't break any rules or even bend them and that hurt us quite a bit in those meetings.
    Could be. Could be the Lakers are confident there's a better player than Hayward next summer that they're confident in getting along with George.
    It seems like they overplayed their hand a bit by assuming Pritchard would be rational about this. Pritchard took a worse offer on purpose in order to **** us. I don't think they accounted for that in their original plans, no. However, their confidence to not make a move points out to me that they're extraordinarily confident they have George in the bag. Now they'll just make moves so that the transition is easier next summer. Get rid of Deng. Try to find value in Clarkson. Maybe try to move Randle so we don't get Olynyk'd next summer. I think the way they've played it is fine. If Plan A was getting Paul this summer, I think Plan B is okay as long as they keep moving forward.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

If i was hayward id have no 2nd thoughts on leaving utah, theyve let other home grown get away too like Mathews and milsap

9. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we are going to be good this coming season, but I do think a lot of people are going to see Lonzo play and see Ingram's improvement, and change their stance on us having nothing to look forward to this season. I get not being sold on Ball, he hasn't even played a summer league game yet, but as so many have said, his game has the ability to change the culture and feel of our team completely.

sirronstuff, TIME, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I heard this on the radio and could not stop laughing... Oh man.

sirronstuff likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no mid-tier assets? remember that i only wanted to part with #2 if we got to dump salary. they have no bad salary. i'm guessing they would have given this year's #3 and a bad contract if they had one. problem is that almost all of their players are useful, thus making it an even bigger gamble.

he tears that knee up and he loses upward of 150 million. it's why i didn't even entertain the idea of him opting in this summer (or leaving the clippers). he's gambling on his health, which has been shaky over time. i get why lebron does this, but not paul.

sort of a sad commentary on the world, though, right?

they do appear to be a confident bunch...

i think my point was that it's not savvy if it doesn't work. not to read too much into it, but pelinka got agent results (george out of indy), not gm results (george in lakers uniform).

anyway, to bring it back to the central debate: plan b just seems sadly familiar. i feel like we're looking at another wasted year of team building. contrary to what some have suggested, i'm not a "title or bust" type of fan. but at some point, it's fair for fans to demand a competitive product. we're past that point. few teams are this bad this long without being accused of being bad franchises.

12. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    This is totally my point. We add these two pieces together, and we've been in "this plan" for about six seasons now.

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Young gonna get himself a championship, good for him.

tada, sirronstuff, Cookie and 10 others like this.
  14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Dwight I can't stand, but why Aldridge? He was healthy, played better statistically than he did in his time in Portland so far.

432J and ElginTheGreat like this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He's going to do well there. I am happy for him.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I wonder if he'll be able to stay on the court. He's an atrocious defender, despite what some believe.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers Legend -

I doubt they signed him for defense

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

They also signed Casspi, who's gonna be 3/4. Gearing up for a lot of rest time for Klay and Durant.

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Warriors offseason (not done yet) - Curry, Durant, Livingston, Iggy, West, Swaggy P, Casspi, Jordan Bell

These dudes got BETTER. Must. Be. Nice.

Cookie, RushDelivery, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah; no kidding, but that's why I say I wonder if he'll be able to stay on the court. No one signs Nick for defense, but it might be so horrific that he's a net negative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.