2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

Before World War II, countries would win wars on the ground and the sea. Then the Germans used air power and it revolutionized the way people would fight. Today we use drones.

I've heard people say things about how they lament the way basketball is these days. Someone said 3,3,3 foul... rinse, repeat.

Well the three point shot is used the way the Nazis used Blitzkrieg... the way we use drones.

It's not fair in some ways... but once you see someone establish superiority with a new tactic... do you just ignore it and keep focusing on the ground game? I'm sure in football when they revolutionized the forward pass, there were some who said... "This isn't football, that's sissy stuff throwing passes instead of fighting it out like men"

Until they change the rules we need to shoot threes more often. The ironic thing is that we signed people who could shoot threes... but because our stars have to eat... we either let them chuck threes or let them take inefficient contested iso two point shots in crunch time.

I spent time researching what we were lacking. I noticed the teams that beat us shot more threes while we were the best team at scoring twos.
    I also noticed almost every team is better than us at shooting free throws which obviously gives you the old fashioned three point play.

It's not rocket science... we need to create more three point opportunities... either by taking more threes or by drawing fouls and converting three point plays using and ones.

Instead I hear people complain about Houston...

Well I get the complaints about Harden, but nearly every other team that beat us uses the same principle.

Three points > two points

And it's better to have KCP, Daniels, Cook shoot them instead of AD, LBJ, Kuzma, and Bradley.

The solution is already on our bench but I'm not optimistic that Vogel will ever use it.

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    You have been bringing up some very interesting points for us to consider

what always seems crazy to me is how do all of the great coaches on our staff not come to the same conclusion? It’s like either we don’t have all of the information that they are making decisions on, or they have blinders on to certain things about their own team.

I always used to think it was just us crazy fans with our “theories”, but then I was introduced to Byron Scott as a coach. And Luke Walton. And Mike Brown. And Mike Dantoni.

now I kind of wish we could whisper some things In their ears whether or not it would make a difference

LTLakerFan and Sentient Meat like this.
  3. Sentient Meat

Sentient Meat - Rookie -

I get the point about being worried we will be overrun defensively if we play some of those guys too long.

But the only thing stupider than playing them, is playing them while not letting them shoot.

How can you create a serious threat when you only have your three point shooters on during garbage time?

Look at the stats... The Rockets, Bucks, Raptors all are among the leaders in three point shots... while we are near the bottom

We are in the middle of the pack in terms of percentage... but we let the wrong people shoot them... and those who can shoot them don't shoot often enough.

If we redistributed those shots to the shooters... we could easily become a top three point shooting team as well as improve our foul shooting.

The trick is to always rotate them in with defenders so we don't give up our good defensive numbers.

This doesn't have to be every game... but it should be used against teams that use this strategy, or it should be used when we fall behind in games.

Nothing frustrates me more than when we are down double digits and start trading two point shots while the other team keeps shooting threes.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  4. sirronstuff

5. KobeJeterKaep

KobeJeterKaep - Rookie -

I agree about the coaching. How is it possible that Kuzma’s D can’t get better? Or Bradley can’t play better without fouling? Or Green isnt using screens more like he did with Pop? Fundamentals of body position, foot work, film study for Kuz and AB. Like Klay did - just made it effective despite not having elite athleticism.

And the Rondo usage is the biggest head scratcher. Just no other playmakers so we must use him? Frankly, if he were not on this team I think the game threads would improve from that alone. His minutes and obvious flaws are all from the coaches enabling him. What is Jason Kidd doing? The assists don’t seem to outweigh the runs other teams go on with him out there.

Anywho. Back on topic. Harkless and Collison make a lot better. Esp with Boogie being able to give some minutes for the playoffs. And man...imagine if they could get Reggie too!!!! ??? I just see us getting one for sure, and the other going to the clips. Sigh.

Collison, Jackson, Rondo
    Green, AB, Caruso
    Bron, KCP, Harkless
    AD, Kuz, Duds
    JM, D12, Boogie

Harsh, waiving Cook and Daniels. And what would that mean about THT?

But that is our best case team, and I would love it - esp with DC and RJ taking over all PG minutes.

johnnyboy, sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

:Shaqlaughing 2:

7. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Bender - @sirronstuff what my first thought was upon seeing that development. Like Shaq and Kobe that sort of stuff... :)

8. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

/\ /\ /\ ..... there’s a back story for newer folks with air ron and this player he just saw waived.

LOL..... spellcheck with “sirron”

9. sirronstuff

The draft pick who got away LOL

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Thankfully.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

MKG bought out likely going to Dallas.

I'm not hating the idea of JR Smith right now

12. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Any word on Jeff Green? I know hes not a spot up shooter but he can score. Decent defender.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

I forgot about him.

I can get with that....

14. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

:LLLLLebronlaughing:

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

LOL. Step your game up. We can do better than Smith.

:Fishwink:

johnnyboy likes this.
  16. Wino

Wino - Lakers Starter -

Retired
    Yeah but people forget that even Kobe and Shaq had some real stinker games. Hell, showtime had some real stinker games. 1981 and 2003 seasons come to mind.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

mkg interested me. odd fit in dallas, imo. i guess with powell out, they'll use him as a pf/c type. i think he could have been the wing bulldog everyone wanted for us. and his lack of shooting is something we've gotten quite accustomed to dealing with (thanks, rondo).

18. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

mkg sucks

collison and harkless would be the best case scenario right now but i could live with green instead of harkless too. collison is essential though

johnnyboy likes this.
  19. Purp n Gold

Purp n Gold - Rookie -

@Sentient Meat I agree with what you say about the Lakers' weaknesses when it comes to shooting 3's. I don't have any problem with any "new" or "old" playing style. If it works, it works. We gotta win.

I am very eager for the Lakers to make these improvements just like any other fan. I just think obsessing over the idea of trading players to the Lakers is not only wasted energy, it's negative energy.

This is not specifically about you Sentient - I just want to finish this rant. We all hate it when Kuzma or Rondo makes a boneheaded play. ALL of us. But there are certain members who have straight up temper tantrums over this. These people channel that negative energy into thinking they're GMs. It kills the mood around here. There's a WMC thread for a reason.

20. LaVarBallsDad

Harkless isn't coming.

Come on down Jeff or JR.

LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.