2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

:rolleyes: I probably missed the specific post you're replying to here. That notwithstanding...... you take Kobe anyway :rofl: and adjust your last 2 players accordingly. Sure Olajuwon the correct choice but look at my avatar and picture prime Mike and Kobe in the back court "together" with hand checking on perimeter still legal.

:eek::eek:

tada likes this.
  2. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    the fat kid from Xavier was more devastating to Arizona....LMAO!!!

3. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

lakerjones and JSM like this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Punk, I'm with you all the way and have felt these same sentiments even before the Tourney started. I personally just dont trust Okafor.... I don't believe his FT shooting will improve and I don't think he will turn into the type of post defender we'll need. Put all of that aside and this argument is not really about what Okafor won't be able to do but instead its what I believe Towns is going to be able to do and accomplish. Give me Towns #1 and lock it up.

Punk-101 and Ryanwestlombardi like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

people putting a lot of stock into circumstances that don't translate and small samples. okafor is huge, coordinated, super strong, and moderately nimble. you don't see this all that often. but he had a few shots just roll out on him and a couple of dubious whistles, and now he's not that good?

the author of that article is complaining about okafor the freshman versus tim Duncan's 4 year college career.

I've been on the towns train since day one, but I think okafor's more of a sure thing. I wouldn't fault anyone who went either way. these guys' games are just under such a microscope this time of year.

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    WCS+Dekker

Or even better if I could: WCS + Johnson (Would be ideal)

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well said.

8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah why are we even discussing Kaminsky? He's irrelevant to the Lakers. He won't be a Top 5 pick and we don't have a 10-20 pick, where he'll probably land.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Now, we got it. Good segue...

tada likes this.
  10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Heck I'd want to see a MJ-Kobe backcourt too, but no team would be able to resist the Dream. Let me change the question a bit. What if the lineup was Gary Payton, MJ, Pippen, Barkley and Kwame Brown?

Would you still take Kobe and leave that hole at the C spot?

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Man I'm pumped up for this summer. We've got a chance to have a strong young core and build through the draft in a way the Lakers haven't done in decades, maybe ever.

If we jump into the Top 3 and get Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Russell, etc. that could be a truly great base to build around.

Clarkson, Randle, Okafor.
    Clarkson, Randle, Towns.
    Clarkson, Randle, Winslow.
    Clarkson, Randle, Mudiay.
    Clarkson, Randle, Cauley-Stein.
    Clarkson, Randle, ...

Not to mention Black, Kelly, and Brown who all seem like NBA level players on friendly deals. That's not even counting the 20+ million we'll have to spend this summer! The future is finally looking brighter Laker fans!

LaVarBallsDad and tada like this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Those two alone have me pumped. Just the thought of getting a third can put a Laker fan in mental orgasm.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

Well in my defense I did include a roll on ground laughing guy, invoke my avatar and agree Dream would be the "correct" choice.......:happy:

14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I invoke Bobby Knight:

"In 1984, Coach Bobby Knight was coming off a gold-medal Olympic run with Michael Jordan. Knight was friends with then Portland Trailblazer GM, Stu Inman, and called to sell him on Jordan as their first pick in the upcoming NBA draft. With Clyde Drexler already on the team, Inman had other plans.

Inman:
    We need a center.

Bobby Knight:
    Then draft Jordan, and play him at center."

ElginTheGreat, Kenzo and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

:)

Portland totally blew it with Sam Bowie, but I can't fault Houston for taking Olajuwon with that 1st pick. They still ended up with 2 rings.

17. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but Olajuwon also led his team to two straight titles as the unquestioned best player. Like I said, it's not Sam Bowie were talking about here. A lot of people have the Dream in their top ten all time. Jordan/Pippen/Kobe is too much ball handling on the perimeter. Wade and Lebron had trouble at times playing together, and their games are less similar than Kobe and Jordan's. (not comparing player greatness, just comparing two ball dominant wings on the same team, and with Jordan/Kobe/Pippen, you'd have 3). It is Olajuwon we're talking about. Not Sam Bowie, not Alonzo Mourning, not even Patrick Ewing. It's the freaking Dream.

tada likes this.
  18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He keep pt a close eye on the NCAA Tournament, Lakers coach Byron Scott watching a number of players who could accelerate the franchise's rebuilding project.

But Scott downplayed the significance on how those performances will affect which players the Lakers will target in the NBA Draft on June 26, presuming they keep their top-five protected pick. Scott will place higher importance on how those prospects fare in pre-draft workouts.

"That is when I get a real good feel if they can play," Scott said before the Lakers-Clippers game on Tuesday in a designated road contest at Staples Center. "You have a chance to really see if they know how to play basketball."

Scott sometimes experienced that the hard way when he coached the former New Jersey Nets (2000-2004), the former New Orleans Hornets (2004-09) and the Cleveland Cavaliers (2010-13). Scott, who played 11 of his 14 NBA seasons with the Lakers, still felt conditioned enough to participate in two-on-two and three-on-three pre-draft workout drills in New Jersey and New Orleans.

http://www.dailynews.com//sports/20...-chris-paul-beat-him-in-a-pre-draft-workout/1

19. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

go ahead.

20. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I've been on the Russell train for a long time should Towns and Okafor be off the board, but how much do we weigh team need vs best player available? (I think that's the Jordan v Dream argument above, right) Some people here don't see Russell as that special, so this topic is really extra moot and maybe not for them. I'm asking those that see Russell as potentially something really special. I see him as a PG Ginobili with elite (Kidd/Nash) court vision/passing.

Assuming Russell and the other 3-5 pick players (Mudiay, Johnson, Winslow, WCS, Hezonga) all reach their ceilings, what's the best pick considering we have Clarkson.

Ginobili/Nash hybrid (Russell) + Clarkson
    Prime Artest (Joshnson) + Clarkson
    Jimmy Butler (Winslow) + Clarkson
    Tyson Chandler (WCS) + Clarkson
    Euro poor man's kobe (Hezonga) + Clarkson
    John Wall (Mudiay) + Clarkson

tada and LaVarBallsDad like this.