2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

My list remains about the same, but Okafor vs. Kaminsky did make me question Okafor's defense even more. If I got the first pick, I probably pick Towns.

1. Towns
    2. Okafor
    3. Russell
    4. Winslow
    5. Mudiay
    6. Cauley-Stein
    7. Hezonja
    8. Johnson
    9. Kaminsky
    10. Dekker

2. ElginTheGreat

I think whoever is sitting in the third spot is gonna have a really tough call to make between Winslow, Russell, and Mudiay.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  3. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

How are you not impressed with Kaminsky?

A guy who was "scouted" to be slow, weak, took it to the likes of Cauley-Stein, Towns, and Okafor. Three of the top center prospect, two in which are the top defenders in the NCAA. He also played solid defense on Okafor, despite Jahlil missing some gimmes, he took a charge, he stripped him, and played him straight up.

He showed an array of offensive moves not many players his size even dream of. A 20-22 foot jumper? Take players off the dribble and spin for a layup? Elite post moves?

And it wasn't like this was just NCAA Tournament thing, Frank the Tank brought this game all season long. Go back in this thread and see that I brought his name up before everyone started noticing him in the tournament.

Kaminsky will go 9-13.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Here's my thing: players like Town come along much more often than a once a decade Okafor. You can teach and coach up Okafor's deficiencies. You can't teach his size or his natural moves to another big. It's also easier to find someone else via FA or future drafts to cover for him until he's turned the corner in those departments.

Not sure Randle can play SF and I'm not sure I want him to, but if you can slide him there and plug a hustle, rebounding, defensive PF (Ed Davis); you're fine.

lakerjones, KareemtheGreat33 and tada like this.
  5. ElginTheGreat

Completely agree. Kaminsky played great. He also showed some really good footwork in his games and made multiple clutch baskets. Kaminsky has definitely showed a lot of skill and I agree that he goes 9 - 13.

lakerjones and Ryanwestlombardi like this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Johnson's man-to-man defense was world's better than Winslows. I watched him a LOT specifically to catch what he looked like defensively and let me tell you that kid is a great defender. He moves his feet, he has active hands, and he's built sturdy like an Amish barn. Winslow was able to have flashier defensive stats because Coach K had him playing free safety to cover for Okafor's lack of lateral movement. Kaminsky would take Okafor out to the three point line then drive right past him. Winslow was waiting for him the paint for the steal or block which boosted his stats. Winslow is no slouch defensively, but Johnson is a great defender. I'd give Winslow an A- and I'd give Johnson an A+.

Winslow has a great Euro-step that I think can translate into the NBA, but he really isn't a great ball handler. He's just able to sneak by his man, then use the Euro-Step to create a little room for himself a la Ginobili or more recently a la James Harden. Stan Johnson isn't a great ball handler either, but he's better than Winslow and he's able to keep defenders back with his strength and footwork. Johnson played as a PF/C in high school at times and you can see it with his post-up ability and footwork. His offense is reminiscent of an older Ron Artest; the Ron Artest that played in Houston and early with the Lakers. Where Winslow is a more explosive athlete he can create contact going up, Johnson really struggles to explode in traffic which leads to a lot of floaters and blocked shots. I give them a push for being able to drive each of them grading out with about a B.

They're about equal on the glass. Winslow uses more athleticism than Johnson, but Stan again has great footwork on box-outs. Stan Johnson is actually great at pinning his man on the weak-side for a rebound. Winslow is better at rising through traffic and grabbing one. Personally I think Stan's will translate better over time, but Winslow's will be better early on. I'd give them both a B.

Shooting isn't Stan's strong suit and honestly it's not Winslow's either. He had a great tournament while Stan struggled with his shot so the gap looks wider than it is. Stan finished this last season as a 37% shooter from deep which is not bad and Winslow finished with nearly 42% which is quite good. They shot nearly the same amount too (Stan with 116, Justice with 110). The edge is definitely Winslow's on this front, but Stan just needs to work on finishing his shots at the proper angle. Shooting is the easiest thing to fix in the pros. Just as a frame of reference Winslow is a 64% free throw shooter and Stan is a 74% free throw shooter. The ability is there. Still I give Justice a B+ and Stan a B-.

Intangibles is a tricky thing. Everyone is quick to point out that Stan didn't step up in big games, but he won 4 State Championships in California as a High School student, shattering records along the way. He didn't shoot well in his last two games, but people are quick to forget that in his first game he went 8/11 from the field, 4/5 from deep, and scored 22 points with 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block in his first game. Despite missing just about every shot against Oklahoma he chipped in 10 rebounds and 2 steals. His game against Xavier he went 4/10 which isn't horrible and had 6 rebounds as well. Really the game that sticks out where he was unimpressive was the game against Wisconsin where he really struggled, got in foul trouble, and had to leave the game. I suspect though that if you ask the Wisconsin players, one of their directions from their coach was to try to draw fouls from the other team's best players. That's why Okafor and Towns had foul issues against them as well. I'm just saying all of this to remind people that Stan Johnson is just as much an intangible guy and a leader as Winslow. Winslow is one of those players that caught fire at the right time so his actions stand out a little more. I will not however take away from Winslow's fantastic tournament. He captured the moment in ways that few can and catapulted his draft stock back even higher than it was when the season started. He showed poise and for the most part good decision making. He was aggressive and strong when his team needed him to be. He was the perfect foil to Okafor's dominating presence inside and Jones' speed outside. I'm going to give him the slight edge over Johnson in intangibles, but it's very, very close. Winslow gets an A and Johnson gets an A-.

I've heard the argument: "I haven't seen Johnson do anything better than Winslow" and I'd have to say go back and watch the tape. At worst they're equals, but they're different players. If you want a boom/bust option with high potential take Winslow. If you want a solid kid who's going to be an NBA player with a low floor and lower ceiling perhaps then take Johnson. I love defense so I want Johnson.

By the way if you give those grades a point value and average them out:
    Winslow: 3.44 (B+)
    Johnson: 3.38 (B+)

Just to show I'm being fair. :)

shoe, lakerjones, TIME and 2 others like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

I don't really disagree with that and again, I have flip flopped between him and Towns about a 100 times and will probably do it 100 more times before the draft.

lakerjones and TIME like this.
  8. ElginTheGreat

Great breakdown. And I have to concede that living in ACC/SEC country I got to see way more of Winslow than I did Johnson.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

Doesn't matter anyway because we are taking D'Angelo Russell with the first pick....

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

11. LaVarBallsDad

12. LaVarBallsDad

Actually, we're picking number 3, and then trading the pick...LOL!

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

easily? the track record of players with that little athleticism/strength is pretty poor. he won't get to operate in the post against smaller guys at the next level, nor will he get 4 dribbles to do so. no way he can face up against nba guys with that slow release, either.

don't see how he's better than olynyk, and i don't think he's that good.

the most favorable comparison i've seen is brad miller, and i think miller was MUCH more physical at the same age.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Great post @realdeal

I don't see the lockdown defensive ability from Windlow either. He's more of a Luol Deng or Ariza-type defender in that he can cover alot of ground with his activity and speed. I also see Winslow having a higher ceiling, but if I can get Artest out of the draft, I'm taking that and won't look back.

lakerjones, JSM and therealdeal like this.
  15. therealdeal

Okafor is my pie in the sky. If we end up with the first or second pick and take Okafor, I honestly think our franchise has found a way to again change the league. Okafor's offensive ability is something I haven't seen from a college kid in a long, long time. His physical profile would have fit in perfectly 20 years ago and I think he's got the kind of talent to make people reconsider the recent NBA model of success.

Randle/Okafor is the best 4/5 punch for the next 10 years if we pull that off (given a couple years to get acclimated of course).

lakerjones, TIME, JSM and 2 others like this.
  16. therealdeal

Thanks!

I see Winslow in two ways: if he ends up in a good program I can see a good, strong SG/SF prospect. If he ends up in a bad program I could see a Chris Douglas-Roberts but with more strength and less speed. It's all about where he lands. If we can get to him and there's no other home-runs on the board (Okafor, Towns, or Mudiay for me) then I could see us taking the shot.

But like you said, if you can leave with a 19 year old version of a veteran Ron Artest, then that's a pretty damn solid pick. He might not be the game changer for us, but he'd be a good player for a long time.

tada likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    My sentiments exactly. Okafor is a 275 BEAST with highly developed offensive skills. It's not potential, it's already there unlike Javale Towns..:hi:

18. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

His athleticism is vastly underrated. If he was that incapable, I highly doubt he would've been able to dribble around most defenders and go over them. You do understand he's a 7 footer right? Most guys will be smaller at the next level. Like I said, he DID go up again NBA level size in Towns, Cauley-Stein, Okafor. Also understand that the college paint is completely packed with the shorter 3 point line and the lack of illegal defense, yet Frank still found a way to be effective and drive. His "slow release" is made up by his ability to take players off the dribble, and most bigs aren't going to come out to no mans land to defend him, so it's a moot point when he has that option.

Brad Miller is close, but Brad never had the ability to put it on the floor and attack. Frank is also a really good shooter, despite his "slow release."

Pau wasn't the strongest or athletic player. You can say Duncan wasn't an elite athlete either or a bully. Yet, guys like DeAndre and Dwight have all the strength and athleticism in the world are not nearly as successful as a either and aren't self sufficient. Those guys are HIGHLY dependent on shots created for them.

I already posted this, but this is why Frank will translate over to the NBA just fine.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/4/6/8348593/frank-kaminsky-nba-draft-status-wisconsin-basketball

TIME and Ryanwestlombardi like this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That 3rd pick is a tricky one. If this was last year, I would pick Russell/Mudiay for sure. But the landscape has changed b/c we lucked out with Clarkson and Randle. I think we should pick a SF or C to fill our needs. But I think the Lakers front office would be under too much pressure to select Johnson with a 3rd pick.

20. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    TIME likes this.