2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

LOL.

2. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

I think if PHI gets the first pick they will attempt to trade down with a team that has 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Last year they traded down 2 spots after drafting Payton and picked up a 1st round pick for it. Could see them going the same route this year if they are locked in on Russell or Mudiay.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

The famous "eye test" ..... you know the saying ..... like *** ***** everyone's got one. [​IMG] After watching his big coordinated body work on offense at his age ..... as other eye tests have said it is Okafor and then everyone else. And Lakers should pick him too if they were that fortunate.

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I want to, but NY, NY, Wild and Hawks for their next 4. That's gonna be a b*****.

I blame RealDeal. He wasn't paying attention earlier in the season. He starts and they win 8 straight. Maybe if Real would have been watching the Kings...the Defending Champions...more instead of Kobe hoisting up 45 shots a game, we'd be a 2 seed. ;)

therealdeal likes this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe I should have never paid attention at all!

6. Savory Griddles

Well, then we'd be in the cellar with no chance. We need you to watch every minute of every game from here on out. No excuses. Go Kings, Go!

therealdeal likes this.
  7. therealdeal

Alright deal! Believe!

Crazy thing is I always feel like the team just needs to get in to the playoffs. Once we're in, I have a completely irrational confidence level.

8. Savory Griddles

As do I. My buddy is a Ducks fan and he is terrified of the Kings getting in and playing the Ducks in the first round.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. therealdeal

As he should be and that would be awesome! I'll get tickets to the Honda Center, find your buddy, and start a good old fashioned heckling battle.

10. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

After watching Okafor in the first couple of tournament games, I really want him! His post game is just so fundamentally sound that it's a beauty to watch. Then I remember he's only 19 and I'm just amazed by how he has a better post game than most centers in the NBA. With all that said, defensively he needs a lot of work. He seems lost defensively when it comes to guarding the PnR and his rebounding is also a bit questionable.

I also wanted to remind everyone that we do have the draft combine and team workouts coming up after the tournament. Regardless of where we end up in the draft I trust management to draft the right player. We just need to keep the pick.

Savory Griddles and therealdeal like this.
  11. Savory Griddles

I'm fine with Okafor, Towns, or Russell. We get any one of three to team with Clarkson and Randle, we'll be off and running. But Okafor is my true love right now. I just love the idea that by not intentionally tanking we could end up with a frontline of Okafor and Randle that is arguably better than Embiid/Noel...with Clarkson to boot. I like Middleton as our free agent acquisition to add to that core. Those 4 moving forward signed to about 20 million total for the next 4 years or so. Kind of sick.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Memphis starts Conley, Lee, Allen, Randolph, Gasol. Although, Allen provides high-level defense, he doesn't provide the ideal spacing within the offense that I like; Randolph and Gasol have jumpers that extend out to the FT line and they make a fairly decent percentage; enough so, that defenses respect it and can't sag off of them. Conley/Lee are also shooting high percentages from the 3-point line. That also provides enough spacing for either Randolph and/or Gasol to operate in the paint. Nevertheless, due to Gasol's ability to operate from the left or right block, the high post, and act as a facilitator for that offense, that helps assist with him working with Randle almost seamlessly. Their 2nd in the entire Western Conference, have one of the best records in the entire league, and will have a good chance to come out of the West this season.

I say all that to say this; that would be kind of how I'd want our team to be molded. I want 3 shooters that will space the floor out to the 3 point line, Randle and Okafor need jumpers that extend out to the FT line, and I want versatility defensively; the ability to switch pick in rolls, blitz pick in rolls, guard their man individually, etc; Middleton would fit a Tony Allen role perfectly. He's an elite muti positional defender who spaces the floor, young, athletic, and would be ideal if you're rolling with a Okafor/Randall front-court. I could get behind something like that...

JSM and TIME like this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

RHJ vs. Russell

Solid breakdown and analysis.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Towns has a jumper that extends out to the FT line, and is a versatile defender.

:wasntme:

15. LaVarBallsDad

Yes, I know. He's also about 2-3 years away from developing post moves like Okafor, and he's very foul prone at the college level. My guess is that foul trouble will continue coming into the NBA level; he's a project and he will take time to develop. Okafor won't, and I like Towns a great deal...

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I would argue that Okafor is just as much of a project as Towns; just on opposite sides of the court. Really comes down to team priorities.

17. LaVarBallsDad

I've seen Okafor play defense. Okafor's biggest problem will be one of Towns biggest strength; that is playing defense out in space i.e. hedging on the pick in roll, recovering, and you don't have the flexibility defensively that say a Cauley-Stein and or Towns give you. I get it. Okafor has a tendency to show a lack of interest playing on the defensive end at times; he also shows a Pau-esque effort when it comes to going after rebounds at times. Nevertheless, every time he misses an assignment a coach needs to bench his rear end; one thing that I'm sure Byron will do will be to hold him accountable on that end to make sure he's working his as* off and getting into the right positions defensively...at least I hope.

18. therealdeal

The priority I'm most worried about is time (no pun intended)

Okafor right now can score at an NBA level and we need that. Towns right now can rim protect, but he'll also foul a bunch and offensively he'll be a work in progress. If we had the time to develop him without pressure to succeed, that's one thing. We don't have that luxury though. We need a kid from this draft that can be a rotation player right now and play at least 25 minutes a game while providing something in the win column. Our best bet (anyone's best bet) is Okafor.

Towns is still very much second to me. Then it's probably still Johnson/Mudiay. Then Russell is a strong 5th to me. Cauley-Stein's name will be in the mix too. He's got a connection to Randle, is a tremendous athlete, and if his head is screwed on right he can be a great piece.

JSM likes this.
  19. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

IMO, many (not all) of Town's foul calls are utter chicken-s***. He picks up some fouls as he goes over the back and gets a little too excited going for rebounds that are out of his grasp, and he isn't always the most disciplined shot blocker. But...those instances have been rare in the 4-5 games that I've watched him play recently. He's been in foul trouble most every game, but 2-3 of the fouls each game were fighting for position or ticky-tack with arms straight up. Anyone else notice this, or do you guys see him picking up legit silly fouls?

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I don't disagree that Okafor can step in tomorrow and make us a much better team. I'm just convinced that with Towns we would immediately be even better. Kobe is still going to score. What he is not going to do is play good D anymore. Towns will make that much less obvious.