2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Okafor so far looks like the easy #1 pick. Just an absolutely gorgeous offensive game... Really reminds me of Duncan offensively, but more natural. Duncan knows/knew almost perfect angles to attack, but Okafor just feels offense. He's got as much natural feel around the rim as any collegiate athlete I've ever seen.

He's looked better defensively in the tournament as well. He's not a rim protector necessarily as a "swat" artist, but you change shots with a big body and that can be just as effective.

2. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

I've been on the Towns train but yeah, Okafor looks pretty damn good right now.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    If we have the chance to draft Okafor and don't do it, I will be busting out the powder because the pimp hand slap will be coming to everyone in the FO who thought that was a good idea.

JSM and therealdeal like this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm also really liking what I'm seeing from Winslow.

The team that misses out on Stan Johnson early and ends up with Winslow a few spots later may end up with a comparable player at a lower pick.

Damn I love watching Okafor on offense. I'm an absolute sucker for great post game though.

ElginTheGreat and JSM like this.
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'll be thrilled if we end up with Okafor. He reminds me a bit of Tim Duncan, but without most of Timmy's D.

I still think Towns has more upside though.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

The scary thing this is Okafor with conditioning issues. Imagine what he would be like after Laker trainers get a hold of him. Still not a fan of his defense but he's going to be special. I think he's #1 right now, with Towns/Russell fighting it out for #2, although a strong argument could be made for any of the three to be #1. If Mudiay were in the tournament he could be up there as well.

7. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, Okafor is putting on a clinic in this first half. It's a beauty to watch. His footwork and moves in the post are so smooth. He's so efficient, effective, and decisive with the ball.

He knows how to play. You don't see the mistakes you expect from a player his age. He does a great job of keeping the ball up high.

Love watching him fight his way out of a double. His hands and vision are both fantastic. He also has deceptively good handles. Twice today he's taken the defense out to the 3 point line and then dribbled his way to the basket like a guard.

8. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Just watched the first half of the Duke game and this is my first time watching Okafor other than in some highlights. Damn he's good. He gets double teamed in the post, knows not to force it, pulls out to the three point line, and then easily takes his guy off the dribble for a nice layup. He definitely looked a lot like Anthony Davis. Obviously he's not as athletic, but in terms of his face-up game and mobility.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Was thinking the same. His D and energy looks great. He just doesn't have the build or as much defensive potential as Johnson, I think. Definitely showing that he's the second best SF right now. There's a gap between the two, but I think there's a more significant gap after them and the rest of the SF crop.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

I've been on the edge of picking Towns before Okafor but watching today's game...... I'd take Okafor in a heartbeat.

11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    [​IMG]

12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Was leaning towards Okafor for about the last 3-4 weeks. I'm pretty certain now. If we somehow get the #1 pick, we snag Okafor and hopefully create the best frontline in basketball for the next decade.

13. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

I would like to see Duke vs Kentucky in the tourney. Okafor is impressive (just watched the game), but there he would have a tough matchup whenever he is on the floor - Towns, WCS. Then we could have a better judgment how his offense translates to the pros.

JSM, LaVarBallsDad and Punk-101 like this.
  14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Was impressive with Okafor but dang my guys in SDSU always allowed him to turn to his left shoulder and shoot a hook with his right now. They never made a single adjustment to make him turn the other way and shoot with his left hand.

Either way, he was real impressive but my guys could have made him work a little harder.

15. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

SDSU was undersized. I still think Okafor's lack of lateral quickness and foot speed is his weakness.

I wouldn't put Okafor in with Duncan just yet. Duncan had a face up game that complimented his back to the basket game. Okafor seems to using his size and footwork to get off his shots, but against defenders his size, I don't think he'll be as effective.

He's still more Al Jefferson to me, and Al Ida VERY talented post player. I still prefer the two way ability of Towns, his ceiling is higher even though he needs a little more work. I just think his defense is more what we need in terms of fit, and any development of his offensive game, which has improved with some basic hook shots that very few can get to, is a bonus.

FreeThePeople likes this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

17. LaVarBallsDad

^That doesn't include Arizona.

18. LaVarBallsDad

19. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

Big difference in stats. But i also remembered that before last years draft our FO was inviting Smart-Peyton and Randle-Gordon to workouts. I figure they want to see them go heads up.
    This year they will probably do the same:
    1. Okafor, Towns, WCS
    2. Russell, Mudiay,Grant
    3. Johnson, Winslow, Oubre
    4. Mitch was on scouting trip in EU, please thats for our 2 round picks...

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

It is a big difference; however, as the article pointed out, it could be a 19 year old Freshman adjusting to the NCAA. Imagine him next year as a sophmore if he didn't decide to enter the draft; he'd probably be much improved just having gone through the experience of facing nationally ranked teams. It's a valid point.

I love Russell's game, though. If Towns and Okafor are gone, he's my guy.