2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Punk-101 likes this.
  3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

His final game in China

4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

The Russell talk is just getting silly at this point, so I am gonna have to let it go.

He is averaging 19 pts, 5.8 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 1.6 steals but has no strengths. I mean, come on...

Kidd wasn't even close to the scorer Russell is when he was at Cal. His freshman averages were 13 pts, 7.7 assists, 4.9 rebounds, and 3.8 steals. As a freshman Steve Nash torched the stiff competition Santa Clara faced every night for 8.1 pts, 2.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists and .8 steals.

C'mon guys. Just say you don't like him and end it there. Lol

5. ElginTheGreat

Punk-101 likes this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

7. ElginTheGreat

Please keep the Mudiay clips coming as much as possible.

8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

He does have his strengths. Nothing that stands out though (ie Kidd's 7.7 assists 3.8 steals) He just does not possess the typical combination of strengths that leads to success in the NBA. If he does succeed, it goes against the norm.

9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Don't even bother justifying yourself. I've seen enough, and I know enough of what I see to form a very high opinion of Russell. Bottomline, we're all armchair GM's; we all rely on our past experience of watching and or playing this game on a competitive level if anyone has participated recreationally or played in high school or collegiately, right? It's fun to speculate and that's why we're on this board. However, when the rubber meets the road because I realize I could be wrong I rely on the experts in the field to either say what I'm witness is verified or completely out of whack.

When it comes to Russell, the consensus is pretty much the same everywhere besides this board. He's not a perfect draft prospect; who is at this point so young in their careers? Not a one. He doesn't have the 'burst,' he's not an elite-level athlete, he could get careless with the ball at various points, he's not assertive enough, and on and on it goes, right?

However, there are 2 things he will do well that will translate, IMO. Russell's passing ability and his shooting ability. He has NBA level court awareness and his vision at the age of 18 is outstanding. He sees things on the floor that are 2 and or 3 passes ahead and makes passes his teammates don't even see coming at various times. Another thing that will translate his is shooting. He could flat out-shoot. So, he could play off the ball, and defenses will have to respect his jump shot which will open up lanes to him on the next level. The question is for many, can he exploit those lanes against faster, more athletic defenders and finish at the rim? I think so but the concern is fair.

Obviously, I think he's shown to be a great leader, student of the game, and he will continue to get bigger, stronger, and fill out his frame with NBA conditioning. I think he'll be fine.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The Towns to Webber comparison... I'm not sure I like that comparison. I think Towns is more like Noah with a jumper.
    Russell = Ginobili is exactly what I said.
    Okafor = Duncan as a ceiling is one I've seen and agreed with (his floor is probably Al Jefferson).
    Mudiay= John Wall comparisons... I don't see that. He's got better vision than Wall but he's hasn't shown me Wall's elite speed and quickness.
    Stan Johnson =/= Carmelo. What?? Carmelo was born to shoot and is an incredible scoring talent. I don't think Stan's got that in him at all.
    Porzingis I have no interest in. He could turn out good, but I don't feel like waiting to find out. Also he's so skinny if you turn him sideways he might slip through the cracks on the sidewalk.
    Cauley-Stein = Tyson Chandler is 100% accurate if WCS gives full effort all the time.
    Oubre = Rudy Gay seems reasonable.
    Myles Turner is far from Anthony Davis.
    Kaminsky = Okur... Racist. Nah I'm kidding that's a decent comparison.
    I don't care about Booker, I don't know Portis, not interested in Hezonja...
    Winslow = Iguodala is possible.
    Dekker = Deng is a pretty good comparison (I like Dekker a lot).
    Grant = Holiday I can see it.
    Dakari Johnson= Bynum... What??
    Tyus Jones= DJ Augustin... Yeah maybe.
    Jake Layman= Jeff Green... Yeah maybe I don't know that ones tougher.

tada, ElginTheGreat and Punk-101 like this.
  11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I've been on the Kaminsky train for awhile now. I know he'll probably go mid-teens, but he's such an underrated player for the draft.

He's a 7 footer, he's got post moves, he can shoot really well, he's got great basketball IQ, and uses his length on defense. Yeah he's older, but isn't that what teams are complaining about guys being 1 and done.

I would compare him more to Pau, although Pau is bigger I think.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

RandleROFY, your assessment is fair.

Yes, strengths that stand out are his shooting and passing. So his ceiling can be Stephen Curry. But like you mention, he's not as assertive as Curry. As for his passing... again, I think his thin frame can hamper his effectiveness. Hence I feel his floor can be pretty low.... an average role player.

At least with Okafor, Wall, and Johnson, you can see that their floors are borderline all-stars.

So yes, he'll be fine... but not as a 3rd to 5th pick IMO.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. therealdeal

Frank the Tank is going to be a valuable pick-up in the draft. If we end up taking a guard, I'd love for us to try to move up to get Frank too. Good decision maker, good offensive weapon, and a smart guy. Pau is an alright comparison, but I'm not sure he's got Pau's talent level. If we're talking his ceiling, then yeah maybe Pau.

14. ElginTheGreat

Well said

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

16. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Hey, twelve real professional GMs passed on Kobe Bean Bryant for names like Todd Fuller. Thomas Robinson was picked before Lillard and Andre Drummond. Jimmer Fredette went before Klay Thompson. Michael Freaking Jordan was the third pick.

Oh, and Wesley Johnson was picked before Boogie Cousins, Greg Monroe and Paul George. :rock:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  18. therealdeal

Great breakdown. He's now below Stan Johnson on my board again. He was clearly rusty after sitting for 3 months, but a few things stuck out clearly:

1. He's got a great feel already for the pick and roll.
    2. He's going to be able to get to the basket at any level including the NBA.
    3. His shooting mechanics are absolutely terrible.
    4. His decision making needs a lot of work.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

therealdeal likes this.
  20. therealdeal

Another solid piece on him. I think it's easy to forget some of his circumstances. Playing in that CBA League sounds absolutely awful for anyone let alone an 18 year old kid in the midst of a culture shock. Throw in the injury that moved him to the bench for 3 months... It's a wonder he performed even as well as he did those last two games.

Battle Tested20 likes this.