2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I guess guys.

A seven footer who can defend almost any position on the court? Yeah. I am interested especially if we end up at number 5.

Guys like Cauley-Stein and Russell impress me (and pretty much every professional scout that has watched them) in the most important area - their actual play on the court. The knocks on them compared to the praise for guys like Johnson really has me scratching my head.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

'Very much agreed. WCS is back to #4 for me, because we can take him and go to bed at night knowing that the C position is squared away for the next 5+ years. I have no doubt at all that he'll be a good to great defender on the next level.

I actually think he has an added value that will be more important in the NBA than it is in college. His perimeter defense is so good for a guy his size that you might be able to simply switch on PnRs with him. Or you can blitz pick & rolls, because he's not a liability 25 feet from the hoop. He's a guy you can build your defense around. People keep bringing up Tyson Chandler, but defensively he actually reminds me more of Kevin Garnett.

He's behind Porzingis, Hezonja, & possibly Mudiay in terms of potential, but they're all behind him in terms of their floor. The Lakers are fortunate in that with their FA appeal, they don't need Randle or this pick to develop into being the best player on the team. Of course it would be nice, but it's not a necessity. I'd be perfectly happy with WCS at #4, knowing we're getting a good player.'

Read this from a guy who used to coach at the college level regarding WCS; I'll post some videos for you later of his jump-shot that's he's displayed over the course of the season. Surprisingly, his handles for a man his size have improved has well.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

- contested

Stein shooting jumpers. I had more examples to cite; he's still not consistent, but if he could work at that shot and develop it consistently, that would help.

4. ElginTheGreat

Exactly. If he can knock that down consistently then I think he goes in the top 5. Definitely top 6 or 7.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

My current rankings:
    1) Okafor
    2) Towns
    3) Mudiay

4-6 are interchangeable and I won't be able to lock those down till tourney play and maybe until the workouts begin. Johnson, Russell, and WCS. The biggest difference between the two groups is at 4-6, you are no longer looking at potential franchise players. Career starters? Yes. All Star appearance or two? Sure. But they don't have the ceiling as the first three.

6. LaVarBallsDad

I'm starting to get more intrigued by WCS/Randle pairing. Grab a PG in Free Agency (maybe Dragic) and you might be off and running...

Elgin, have you watched Oubre from Kansas? I think I've seen you mentioning him before...what are your thoughts?

7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Still a little worried about WCS's sickle cell disorder. Over 82 games and playoffs, it may rear its ugly head.

8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

First game back since his injury

therealdeal likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Nasty . . . and technically speaking a travel. That was a discontinued dribble.

11. LaVarBallsDad

What you said reminded me of what Mychal Thomson said a couple of weeks ago; he said 'all these guys carry nowadays which would have been called in the 80's'. LOL. Sick hesitation nonetheless You should see him do that in and out crossover hesitation in transition; oh my word! :)

lakerjones likes this.
  12. LaVarBallsDad

I'd still would want to see him against NBA PG's that are quicker and more athletic; he just doesn't have that 'burst' and I want to see how he responds at the next level...

13. LaVarBallsDad

Larry Brown on Mudiay

"You need a great point guard. First and foremost I think it starts with them defending the ball. Emmanuel's 6-5, he's long, he's athletic. I think he can keep the ball in front of him. He's a pass-first point guard. He's an extra rebounder. He's not a great shooter, but, in the NBA, you have so much time to work on your shot and improve your game, his shot's not broken. I think it'll get there. I think he has it all."

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2015/02/larry_brown_says_sixers_drafting_emmanuel_mudiay_w.html

14. LaVarBallsDad

A couple Mudiay highlights. Not much but it's worth a look nonetheless...

JSM and Battle Tested20 like this.
  15. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    This is the one thing that is keeping me from not completely not wanting the Lakers to draft him. Larry Brown knows his stuff, so I am inclined to believe him. I've been against us thinking about drafting this guy because I think he's too much of a project and plus I just dont know much about him. It's not to say that I want someone ready to compete Day 1 but I think it would be a good 3-4 years at least before we really see if Mudiay is going to do anything in the NBA. I trust our scouting department and FO when it comes to making that big decision. Once a player gets in our facility and we run them through our individual workouts our guys usually have a better indicator. We'll just have to wait and see...

16. ElginTheGreat

Yeah i have seen him. I think he needs another year. Started off slow and still inconsistent but he has improved quite a bit. If he comes out I think he could be a steal if someone grabbed him in the twenties or second round. Definitely wouldnt use a lottery pick on him though.

17. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

With you pretty much 100%. I love Stan Johnson, but only because he's an NBA guy we can plug into the SF spot and never look back. That's rare. For me, he's still above Russell and WCS because of his character and history of winning. Russell to me... I'm still not sold on NBA level stuff there. I know everyone else is gung-ho about him, but I'm really not. I see a decent player, but not a great one. WCS scares me with the way scouts have said he approaches basketball. His on-the-court stuff is great if he wants to be there, but Larry Sanders was great too until he wasn't.

With this pick we need to know this guy wants to be here, wants to be here forever, and wants to be great.

18. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Couldn't agree with this post more

19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree too.

I see Artest (without the headcase) written all over Stan Johnson. Maybe not a superstar, but Artest's defense with superior athletism and a huge heart + work ethic is pretty much guaranteed with this kid. That is a huge asset.

I question Russell's speed/athletism/build. Guys like Nash, Kidd, and Andre Miller were slow too, but they they had big upper bodies and craftiness under defensive pressure that I don't see from Russell. He could end up being very average. And I don't think his ceiling is that high either, especially against the super-athletic PG nowadays.

As for Mudiay, he is a bit more interesting, but I don't see franchise player (Rose, Westbrook, Wade) potential.

Much rather take a Artest Plus before these two unknowns.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. FreeThePeople

FreeThePeople - Rookie -

That and his lack of interest in basketball are as of now the only reasons why I might pick someone else. Other than that, he looks like a phenomenal prospect. He was also teammates with Julius for a year, which is enticing. I think that's an awesome frontcourt duo moving forward, and great frontcourt players are much harder to come by than point guards which seem to be the other best option with a top 5 pick.