2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think he'd be getting some of it, but once you attach "Lakers" to a pick, that pick is going to get more hate. Why? Because ESPN sells more when they hate the Lakers. It's the inverse to what happens when they love LeBron.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

That will help. We'll see how he fares in the regular season...

tada likes this.
  3. therealdeal

Yeah I mean I completely understand people who want Towns more than Okafor. All things equal, his ceiling is higher as a player. He's more athletic, a little taller, more defensive minded, capable offensively, can hit a jumper. I totally get it. I understand Russell less, but I think he's capitalizing on Curry's success. I see Russell's talent level but I'm just not sold it translates and I'm definitely not sold that it translates immediately to NBA talent.

Seeing all this negative press though around Okafor is fantastic to me. It's going to only make him better and us better. Bring on the Jah-pocalypse! (I need more coffee...)

4. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Draymond Green clone

5. LaVarBallsDad

If that's all Randle is, I will be completely disappointed.

Kenzo, Savory Griddles and tada like this.
  6. therealdeal

Actually I heard he hasn't necessarily lost much weight, but that he's worked on his body fat percentage which is actually more important. Two quick things though:
    1. I've seen get out and run the floor as well as most bigs when he's got the energy so it's there. He just needs to get in shape and that's definitely something Byron can do for him.

2. Duncan is still effective at 146 years old and he's much slower than Okafor is right now. I'm not too worried about it.

7. LaVarBallsDad

We'll see. In his first year, it will be a struggle. Every rookie in shape or not goes through rookie walls, he'll go through it too if he starts playing at the beginning of the season. That's why I'm more of a fan of bringing him along slowly...

8. therealdeal

Yeah what the heck?? :D

Randle is better RIGHT NOW as a ball handler, rebounder, passer, post-player, and getting into the paint off the dribble. The ONLY things Draymond does better right now is defend and shoot threes, both of which I think Randle can catch up on quickly...

Draymond Green?... Yikes. Randle pooped all over Draymond in the pre-season when they matched up.

9. therealdeal

I completely agree. It's why I still really like picking up Chandler or at least some veteran Center. Even Ed Davis is a perfect fit to bring him along slowly and ease his minutes up as the season progresses. At 19, even IF he starts, he should only really play 25-28 minutes a game tops.

lakerjones likes this.
  10. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Not me, Green is the reason the Warriors had the season they had. Give me that physical play with that heart any day. The best comparison is the way he gets out in transition and can finish or dish.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

Randle is better in transition, a better facilitator, and a better finisher.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

well, you can make the case for curry as well.

curry didn't have elite size, defense, athleticism or anything like that. he had a good quick release shot and a heart of a lion. sometimes, you have to look past the measurements and stats, and sometimes look into the character of a player.

towns is particularly elite at one thing, but he does many things well. and at his size, it's invaluable. imagine him on Warriors? he'd be a perfect fit.

russell to me has one really strong thing going for him, his swagger. he has a good set of skills for a guard, but he does have a lot of confidence and poise that really make him stand out. and i'm sure he's been killing interviews based on the way he's been regarded.

shoe and ElginTheGreat like this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Meh. Nothing there as impressive as the toy basketball in his hands. But far be it from me to be "annoying guy" around here [​IMG] ..... how about this one even with the tips of his freakishly long fingers cut off? Anyone else think maybe the rest of his body has another inch or more of growing to do to catch up to the hands? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lakerjones likes this.
  14. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I still want Okafor above all others, but In Mitch I trust.

If he goes for Russel it means he saw what Jerry West saw in him, and I would end up even more excited by the unexpected pick.

shoe, EJones06 and therealdeal like this.
  15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I understand what you are saying.

And maybe its because I have been following him a while but I've read things about Russell having a high bust potential and a lot about his athletic ability. I think Russell was able to quiet some of the questions about his athleticism in workouts, but I do think that is a weakness.

I definitely haven't read as much about Towns. I think people have just been blown away by his potential and upside. I think every team thinks they can take the tools he has and make him into a big time player.

But you are correct, there is no greater chance that Okafor will fail than these two or any of the other guys.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

The thing with Russell's athleticism is that it's not actually hidden, but there's no measurement for explosion.

His vertical measurements are actually up there with Westbrook's. Randle's was on par with Griffin. But we know both of these guys are not nearly as explosive as the aforementioned. I don't think it's out of the question to say that Russell or Randle CAN'T dunk on someone, but not with the ferocity and power as someone with that explosive step.

abeer3 and shoe like this.
  17. therealdeal

In fact I'd take that a step further: I think there's LESS chance Okafor busts than the rest of the guys in the Top 5.

Why? Because his finished product right now is basically Al Jefferson. Without development he's Al Jefferson. Without development where are Russell and Towns at?

I'm not saying Okafor is guaranteed to be the best out of this draft, but he's guaranteed to be the safest.

alam1108, JSM, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

My case for Russell over Towns has more to do with Towns' uncertainty as a centerpiece player.

First comes the thin legs and the injury concern TRD has pointed out repeatedly. Then his lack of elite skill. Because versatility is not a skill. In fact, is versatility important for a franchise player? For a role player, certainly yes, but how do you build around versatility? Honest question.

Russell has the passing and shooting. That's a great combination to have.

abeer3, LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

You don't need explosiveness or athletism to be a great PG. Magic, Stockton, Nash, and Kidd were all average athletes. Lack of athletism is not something I'd consider a weakness.

20. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

Exactly. Plus you have to figure Ryan West would have had some sort of endorsement on Russell at that point too. Love having him on the front office staff knowing he has to be able go to his dad once in awhile on prospect analysis.