2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Solidifies my point even more about all these bs reports that lakers dont think jah can play C that they see him as a pf

So we traded for dwight who was shorter and we wont draft jah cuz he has a pf body what a load of crap

I knew dwight wasnt that tall lol

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Okafor's too small to play center. :D:D:D That's a pretty good one.

TIME, ZenMaster, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  3. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

I'd play him at PF... if we can also get WCS to play center.

ZenMaster likes this.
  4. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Great to see you here. Make it a habit!!!

Aonex, ZenMaster and therealdeal like this.
  5. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

I think thats a risk we gotta take. I'd rather build for a few years and have a stud team that grew together than trade for a player like cousins that comes with baggage and will cost 3x as much and it might blow up in our faces like dwight/nash did.

We already tried trading for veterans to "win now" and it led nowhere now lets try to win with the young guys.

We were hoping for a #4 pick at BEST & we were somehow "gifted" a #2. We have to take advantage this happens once every 2-3 decades for the lakers.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    The critics are fishing for something... anything. If he was going anywhere but LA, they'd be screaming about he's "the next!"

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He'll be fine at center. I'm anxious to see how Randle and Okafor look on both ends; I need to see something's and hopefully my concerns will ease...

jerryr88 likes this.
  8. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

It's true. I feel like the Knicks and Lakers are always going to be criticized because they have to deal with the biggest microscopes that the media has to offer. They want them to succeed only to hate them or they want them to be mediocre so they can say: "see! I told you I was right. They aren't that good."

If Okafor was being vetted by San Antonio everyone would know he'd be a solid star. If he would be going to Chicago or Philly, he'd be a potential savior, in a way. Everyone just loves to hate the Lakers and Knicks. It's part of the fabric of NBA culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Big or small?

It's still being debated within the Lakers organization before Thursday's NBA draft.

Conventional wisdom says they will use the No. 2 overall pick to take Jahlil Okafor, the Duke center who earned Tim Duncan comparisons while leading the Blue Devils to the NCAA championship.

But the NBA's recent shift to a space-and-pace mind-set — thank you, Golden State — is partly why the Lakers are strongly considering Ohio State point guard D'Angelo Russell after he shot extremely well during a workout for the team last weekend.

The Lakers initially had questions about his outside touch after scouting Russell during Ohio State's season but later chalked it up to a coincidental erratic performance while they were in attendance.

Russell shot 41.1% from three-point range at Ohio State while averaging 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and five assists as a freshman. He is 6 feet 5 and sometimes described as a taller version of Chris Paul.

If the Lakers take Russell, they envision moving Jordan Clarkson to shooting guard, perhaps his more natural position, though Clarkson showed some skill at the point, averaging 15.8 points, five assists and 4.2 rebounds in 38 games as a starter.

One person familiar with the Lakers' thinking said Russell could be "something special."

But one person familiar with Okafor said the Lakers shouldn't pass him up, calling him "the best player in the draft."

Read rest at Link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-draft-20150624-story.html

10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Big. Boom. Done. Next up .....SF

11. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I remember watching the Lakers leave timeouts and thinking that Dwight is actually as close to Kobe as he is to Pau.

LTLakerFan and jerryr88 like this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I'm watching that nba draft hq on nbatv, and man, they just sorta bag on okafor whilst pumping up Russell and towns. it's going to be VERY interesting to watch how the media reacts if and when okafor outperforms those two.

the thing that gets me is that okafor's polish is working against him. I mean, he's 19--just like the other two. yet we're imagining them improving by leaps and bounds, and okafor...I guess eating bons bons and laying on the beach? the herd mentality in the media is actually kind of alarming, to be honest. the knee-jerking in response to golden state's guard-centric title (ignoring plenty of seasons of guard-centric lotto appearances for several teams, gs included). the idea that good teams play shooting bigs (complete myth, btw). the idea that big men should be expected to switch pick and rolls in space. all just really lazy thinking, most of it not even remotely based in reality.

13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

^^^This sort of thing happens every season to at least one player before the draft. Odd things start to suddenly go against them that once were big things in their favor. And some players come out of nowhere that get hyped up. I don't know what convinced the Cavs to take Anthony Bennett 1st, for example, but they sure regretted it pretty quick. And every season some player taken in the top 4, if not multiple players, are looked back on as mistakes, and players in the teens, 20's or even 2nd round can be huge surprises. It's so much guessing outside of what can be physically measured, so I don't see why going with what we've seen in high school and college from these players and how polished they already are aren't the biggest factors. Imagine if Tim Duncan's polish coming out of college or that he played 4 years was held against him if he was in this draft, the thought it laughable.

And on the other hand, it's never that easy when picking this high. If Jerry West did say that Russell is the best player in this draft, that has to make you go "oh great", and agonize over this decision.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Dude! Welcome. And bring back Maria avi.

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I'm not saying the other two suck; I'm saying the criticisms of okafor seem more frequent and overly intense. I hear about okafor's d or his supposed no-show in the title game, but not Russell's d or the egg he laid in his team's tournament loss. I don't hear about towns' foul rate and how his limited minutes may allow him to present a better motor than he might have for longer periods.

just seems like unbalanced analysis, aimed at tearing down the pre-season favorite. I wouldn't be shocked if Russell became a star, nor towns. nor okafor. some dufus who looked like john Thompson (and I think was named ron Thompson, so could be another of his sons) scrunched up his face and dismissed the idea that okafor could be an allstar in the nba right after suggesting Russell would be. this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

LTLakerFan, TIME, lakerjones and 4 others like this.
  16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I am going to be so stoked on Okafor balling out of control. Idiots will learn quickly when we set up the dynasty with him and Randle inside.

Barnstable, LTLakerFan, TIME and 4 others like this.
  17. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

Thanks man. What's wrong, Vlade ain't pretty enough for you? =) Crazy, that must have been close to 10 years ago.

ZenMaster likes this.
  18. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Russell does not belong in the same sentence with Kobe. Please do not get me started. I've had enough stress with the Cousins trade talk.

19. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

I feel like it is going to be Okafor, but my excitement is now tempered as he could be traded.

20. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I can't wait for our first summer league game against Minny. Get to see this Match Up all over again but this time when they're pros