2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Jordan also never played as much as Kobe did. Remember, Kobe started in the NBA at 18. Also, MJ never had the type of injuries Kobe did. Michael's teams were also good enough to keep his minutes and effort consistent, whereas Kobe would usually need to overexert himself.

What's best for Kobe now is 25-30 minutes per game, minimum back to back games, and monitoring of his injuries early and not allowing him to play through them.

EJones06 likes this.
  2. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

I think that's a fair point. Although I would argue that it's likely a combination of both. While it's true that Jordan was able to average 35-37 minutes at age 38, it's the minutes played up to that point that make the difference between he and Kobe's situations. Consider that Kobe came straight out of high school, plus had 2-3 offseasons of playing for Team USA in the latter portion of his career. On top of that, Jordan took some time away from the game following the death of his father. All that considered Kobe's minutes are significantly higher than Jordan's at this point in his career, which I feel in some way had to have contributed to his unfortunate health the past few years.

tada likes this.
  3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think WCS will be a solid NBA player, if you have like the 5th/6th pick and up, but no way at 2. At best I see Tyson Chandler in him, and that's not what we need, we need a potential future all-star at 2.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Small ball was story of Finals, but bigs may own draft night
    [​IMG]
    By TIM REYNOLDS8 hours ago
    [​IMG]
    View gallery

FILE - In this Dec. 15, 2014, file photo, Duke's Jahlil Okafor, top, shoots over Elon's Tony …
    Small ball was the story of the NBA Finals.

It might seem temporarily forgotten at the start of the NBA draft.

The first three players taken Thursday could easily be a trio of big guys. Karl-Anthony Towns seems the likely pick by Minnesota at No. 1, the Los Angeles Lakers would next figure to snare Jahlil Okafor at No. 2 and it wouldn't surprise many onlookers if Philadelphia then took Latvian prospect Kristaps Porzingis with the third pick.

Give or take an inch, they're all 7-footers.

So after a title series where Cleveland's LeBron James and Golden State's Draymond Green — both about 6-foot-8 — spent time at center and where the Warriors swung the series their way by going to a small lineup and forcing the Cavaliers away from what was working, all eyes when the draft starts will be on bigs once again.

"I think big men still run the game," Okafor said after a workout with the Lakers earlier this month. "When you have a dominant big man, that changes the aspects of the game. You can see that now, you can see the Golden State big men and the Cleveland big men doing big things for their teams. So we believe the big men still run it."

Not everyone would agree.

The dearth of the NBA big man has been well-chronicled, although it seems to be making a bit of comeback with Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, LaMarcus Aldridge and Blake Griffin all ranking among the league's top eight scorers this past season. But in today's league, small ball — the type of play where speed and shooting takes precedence over size and power — is clearly en vogue, because it's working.

View gallery
    [​IMG]

FILE - In this March 28, 2015, file photo, Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns (12) shoots over Notre …
    "I understand the small ball," Kentucky coach John Calipari said last week on a teleconference to discuss Towns and the Wildcats' six other draft hopefuls. "Small ball is because a 6-7 guy can move his feet and hands like a guard, but now you've got a 7-footer that can do the same. In three years, if someone has two 7-footers that can move their feet, then we're going back to the twin towers."

What Calipari is basically saying is that big men are trying to keep up with the times.

The notion of tall guys being able to shoot from deep isn't new — Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Channing Frye and Dirk Nowitzki are all serious 3-point threats, and all stand at least 6-foot-10. Towns is working on his range, Okafor has been known to make 3's in practice and Porzingis' outside game is clearly ahead of his post skills.

In the small-ball party right now, the big guys apparently don't like being left out.

"By necessity, the league has gone smaller and more spread," said Fran Fraschilla, a former college coach who now is an ESPN analyst. "You're seeing more, what I would call, small lineups. What we call the stretch four-man. In part, this is because there are just a handful of low-post scorers."

If the draft starts with Towns, Okafor and Porzingis, it would be a rare big-big-big opening.

The last time three guys who were 7-footers led off a draft was 2007, when injury-prone Greg Oden, Kevin Durant and Al Horford went 1-2-3. And the last time more than two true post players — Durant wouldn't count there, of course — led off a draft was 2001, with Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol and Eddy Curry were the first four selections.

Chandler and Gasol have enjoyed great careers, Brown and Curry not so much. It's a reminder that betting the franchise's future on big men is always risky, with the most infamous example coming in 1984 when Hakeem Olajuwon went No. 1, Sam Bowie went No. 2 and the player widely considered to be the best ever in the game was still on the board.

A lesser-known blunder from that draft was that 15 teams passed on John Stockton.

"You go back to the Olajuwon-Bowie-Jordan draft," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "In years past and maybe even today it makes sense to build around a big, but you don't want to take a big because it's a big and pass on the No. 3 pick — which turned out to be Michael Jordan."

Hence, maybe taking a guard the wiser move

"It can be argued in today's game that maybe you should do that," Kupchak said.

Odds are, he won't listen to that argument. Okafor wants to be a Laker and it'll probably work out that way. Small ball isn't everything — and Okafor wants to remind the league that's the case.

"I know what my bread-and-butter is," Okafor said, "and that's down in the post."

http://news.yahoo.com/small-ball-story-finals-bigs-may-own-draft-061524997--spt.html

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I was saying months ago before we got the #2 pick, that if we're at 4 or 5, I take a long hard look at WCS and probably take him.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Everyone wants to talk about small ball, but GS had Bogut in the middle all season long until the finals. Draymond was their pf, a guy who has very similar size to our expected pf in Randle. If Randle is our pf and we sign, say Carroll and then Kobe and Clarkson fill in the back court, we're playing as "small" as GS did the entire season. People are focusing on the last 3 games of the season where a team decided to take advantage of an injury riddled Cavs team with no inside scorers. The unoriginal sheep of the national basketball media are droning on and on about "Small-ball" in the same way a zombie stumbles along and just moans "brains" over and over again. And that national chorus is really only based on the last 3 games of a 7 game series where there was a mismatch.

7. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Small-ball rules! How about just running an efficient offense that attacks seams, moves the ball, runs screen rolls, and takes advantage of maximizing the talent they have on the team? That's how I look at it. However, fans have become so resistant to change, that their idea of pounding the ball into the post is something that is just a lot harder to do In the current rules environment. Sure, you can do that. I just wouldn't do it very much. I'd use it as more of a secondary or tertiary action.

Either way, let's draft Okafor and see how it goes...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. lakerfan2

I don't think it's harder to do, I think it's mostly a lack of skill and development in that area. Players are getting worse and worse at the post entry pass, and players with skills in the post are almost extinct. Played at the highest level, the post is probably some of the most efficient basketball you can get. Getting a player who can score 55-60% for you in the paint is just as effective, if not better, as a player who can shoot 40% from the three point line.

It's just, players don't have a want to learn it. It's too much effort, too much time to invest in something that won't end up on these "highlight reels" ESPN loves putting together. My reasoning for this "small ball" type of movement is because of how players grow up watching ESPN and highlight reels of players dunking, making ridiculous shots, and wild passes. That's what kids get excited about nowadays. Call me old school, but I love watching players in the post. I grew up taller and loved banging inside and getting easy buckets. My favorite players were Cap, Shaq, and Hakeem. That basketball was beautiful to me.

RandleROFY, you are right, you do what you can with maximizing the talent of the team. Whether it is small ball, the triangle, or variations of it, a good coach will utilize it to their advantage.

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Love this quote from Mitch. Thanks for posting LT.

Sure, you don't want to just draft a big man for no reason if Jordan is in the draft... Is D'Angelo Russell or Emmanuel Mudiay equal to Michael Jordan? No? Then let's take Okafor or Towns and be happy about it :)

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Nailed it. All this small ball talk is hilarious when you consider how effective a stiff like Mozgov was in these Finals. If Cleveland had a truly skilled Center, they would have taken this thing to 7 at least.

12. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed with the last part. However, I like Okafor, but he's not Cap, Shaq, or Hakeem. Could he change the direction of the way this league is going? Potentially, but I wouldn't count on it. However, if Randle is in attack mode, I don't Okafor standing around clogging up penetrating lanes standing still; same goes for everybody else on our teams. We get everyone on the move and wreak havoc inside the painted area.

I'll be completely honest, though. As much as I want to see Okafor/Randle work, I have concerns.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. Savory Griddles

Considering the success Mozgov had, Okafor as a rookie would have likely changed the course of that series.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We can talk small ball when we have talent like:

Curry - Thompson - Barnes - Green - Iguodala
    or
    Chalmers - R.Allen - Wade - Lebron - Bosh

Until then, I'll run with my big man, thank you very much.

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  15. therealdeal

Post game to me is the most fun thing to watch in basketball unless your name is Magic Johnson. The skill it takes to score in the post is so underrated it's not even funny. The All-Time leading NBA scorer is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for a reason! He was 7'2" and dominated guys inside with one go-to move and a lot of other options. Hakeem's highlight film leaves me in awe. Shaq wasn't as skilled as those others, but he was still pretty damn skilled and he also was the most dominant player this league has ever seen. Size matters in the NBA and when you've got skill to match, there's nothing opposing teams can do.

Okafor is going to help turn this league around along with Cousins and hopefully Towns as well. All this small ball stuff is born of necessity. Big men don't want to learn post game because post game doesn't get them endorsement deals most of the time. DeAndre Jordan has the post game of a toddler, but he's about to get a max deal this summer from the Clippers. If teams don't demand post game development, why would guys do it? Now all you need is to be a stiff and you're worth two 1st round picks in the NBA (hello Timofey!).

NBA offenses are based on a simple notion: unbalance the defense. Now teams use guards and the high pick-and-roll because a) the rules say you're not allowed to handcheck which makes the guards' job that much easier and b) there's only maybe three low-post scorers right now that demand double teams.

If you've got a low-post scorer that can score at 55% while getting opposing bigs (and therefore the other team) in foul trouble, it's infinitely more valuable to me than a guard who breaks down the defense and shoots maybe 35-40% from deep. First of all, it's easier to do. There's a reason guards like Westbrook, Rose, and even Jennings and Chris Paul are all banged up all the time. It takes a lot of hard work to get into the lane at that size. A big man just gets to go down to the block and set up. Sure he takes a physical beating, but he's running less, he's usually using less explosive movements, he's not trying to dribble through at least 3 guys on the other team. It's an easier job.

Look at the numbers though as a quick example:

Say Okafor makes 53% of his two point shots and he takes 650 shots (roughly what Nerlens Noel took)- that's 344.5 points without counting free throws and getting the opposition in foul trouble.
    Say Russell makes 40% of his threes and takes 500 (somewhere between Marcus Smart and Steph Curry)- that's 200 points. Obviously he can and will score in other ways to get that number closer, but the point stands: a big man who creates offense near the rim is more valuable to me than a guard who creates from the outside.

Steph Curry is ruining the way some fans think about the NBA. Size will always matter and post play will only die when there's no post players in the league. Cousins and Okafor and hopefully Towns in a few years have the talent to show people once again that if you can create out of the post, you've got an immediate edge. Please try putting Draymond Green on Julius Randle in the post and see what happens. Heck, try putting Draymond on Jahlil Okafor right now and see what happens. It's an immediate mismatch and Golden State has to adjust to it by putting in Lee or Bogut and that changes the way their offense runs.

16. therealdeal

Exactly my point. If Golden State had a better Center, one that could create through the post, they'd essentially be a modern day Showtime. It'd do nothing but strengthen their team. Then we wouldn't be talking small ball or suckers like Mozgov being a "good young Center". Lookin' at you Breen and Van Gundy!

17. lakerfan2

I'm not saying Okafor is going to be any of those guys, but he's miles ahead of the competition in terms of bigs with skills in the post.

You also have to realize, Okafor was one of the best offensive rebounders in the game. That type of size kills small ball lineups defensively. When we had Pau and LO playing volleyball in the paint, teams running small ball like the Suns and Nuggets were helpless. He's an intelligent basketball player that will certainly learn to utilize his skills with a player like Randle. I can see the same with Randle as well.

Randle has pretty decent vision when he drives, underrated passer for his size. We saw it in Summer League last year. I can see him drawing doubles on his bully drives and handing it off to Okafor for an easy 2. I can see Okafor commanding a double in the post, and making a nice pass to a cutting Randle, Randle finishing through contact for an And 1.

These are some talented guys here, I don't think there will be that much of a learning curve as you think there will be. These aren't Deandre's and Earl Clark's we're working with here.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. therealdeal

My only concern with Randle/Okafor working is defensively. Neither of them are really shot blockers and while I think rim protection has become overrated, I think it's important to have a guy who at least wants to block shots. I'm not sure either Randle or Okafor have the desire to block a shot most nights, let alone the timing and tenacity it takes to be that guy. Some nights? Sure, but not consistently at this young stage.

Offensively, as long as Randle can hit a mid-range jumper there's really no problem here. Okafor posts up, lets the defensive adjust or he punishes whichever dingaling is defending him. When he doesn't have the ball, he's a fantastic offensive rebounder so he cleans up.

@RandleROFY I'm not sure where you're getting this fear that he's just going to clog the paint and leave the rest of the team useless. Kobe did just fine with Gasol AND Bynum in the paint. They're bigger, longer, and less mobile than Randle and Okafor are.

TIME, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  19. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

20. therealdeal