2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

.... the long way at an angle greater than 45. Don't forget this guy has been training state of the art with body motion suits and analysis and with the best trainers up north (I think) to change him physically and improve him in those same areas since those clips above were captured. Julius the Beast, oh hell yeah. But can it possibly be this good for us? (hell yeah it can) ..... I think and expect we're looking at Jahlil the Beast too. [​IMG]

trodgers likes this.
  2. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

I've been away from the forum for quite a while. Could someone tell me what's the general opinion around here?

Do people here prefer Towns or Okafor? (even though Towns will likely go #1)

Assuming Towns is #1, do people here prefer Okafor or Russell? (I've seen quite a lot of hate for Okafor lately, some people almost talk like if he was a scrub or something)

Am I the only one who's just as excited for finally watching Randle as for the new rookie, or people here suddenly forgot about Randle (I imagine it's not the case, since there's a post about Randle just 3 above this one.

3. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

And don't sleep on Boom Boom (re: beasts)

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  4. LTLakerFan

Top Poster Of Month

I don't think you'll find any Towns vs Okafor discussion here. Too scary.

Are you the only one who's just as excited as Randle about anyone? No. But lots more about that in the Randall thread. [​IMG] Glad to see you've gotten straight with your priorities. [​IMG]

5. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Man in those gifs not only do I love the quickness, but the aggression he has finishing.

6. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I've been focusing on looking at Okafor and what he can do for us. I'm not at all interested in Russell, and Towns won't be an option, it seems. Hezonja is probably the second most interesting player to me, but I wouldn't take him @ 2.

7. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    My thoughts are that we need someone to get the ball to Okafor. Once that's done, he'll either get space (in which case he'll score) or he'll kick, because he'll demand a double.

So we need someone to make those passes and someone to knock down threes. Our role players should all be snipers.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Wait...so are we saying there is some conspiracy against Okafor and that's why he dropped a bit in scout's eyes?

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Welcome back:hi:

We had a poll up of who we prefer and the results were about 6:4 in favor of Okafor. Russell was a distant third.

10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

And defenders. 2-way players get a little expensive, though. :(

trodgers and Magic Skywalker like this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Cue the smoke gifs

LakerFanIam likes this.
  13. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I've wavered here and there, but for the most part I have wanted Okafor since the beginning of April. That was well before the draft lottery and I thought we had no shot at him as I didn't even dream we'd get the #2 pick, I was just hoping to KEEP the pick at all. Since we got 2 I've said I will be happy to get one of Okafor or Towns, but I still prefer Okafor because of that size, and he still reminds me of Tim Duncan in a lot of ways.

As for Randle, heck yeah I'm excited to see him play, getting him back is like getting 2 top 5 picks in this draft. We only got a tiny glimpse of him last season and even that was exciting. He showed flashes of his ball handling ability (along with trying to do too much with it, I know), his fancy moves taking guys in the post, and those crazy finished you don't think he should be able to get to go, but somehow they do. If he can improve his jumper, or has improved it in the time off he's had, we're in for an exciting season watching him.

14. Magic Skywalker

Magic Skywalker - Rookie -

That's something I'm actually always thinking about. I can't just simply forget how I was before the lottery, just hoping we could keep the pick. I didn't have time to be thinking about moving up or something like that. Even going down to fifth would've been fantastic. While sad, I always thought that the most important day for the Lakers this season was the lottery, and I still think it was the most important.

Right now, I feel so blessed to actually be thinking about if I prefer Okafor, Towns, Russell, or heck, even Mudiay or Porzingis (ps: no, I wouldn't take them right now). I just think about the realistic chance we had to lose the pick and pretty much waste a historically horrible year (for our standards) without even developing our top rookie. I mean, it was a hard year. Sure, everyone (non-Lakers) might say that is normal... except it's not for the Lakers. Because of this, I already feel we won the draft. Even if Mitch surprises with a pick I'm not thrilled (let's imagine those Porzingis rumors are true for a moments and it does happen), it would still mean getting a top prospect, actually getting something out of that pick (I'd hate our scouts and Mitch until/unless Porzingis -or whoever were to be an unexpected pick- proves to actually be a correct choice at #2, but I'd still be thankful we actually have something).

I'm definitely in the group of people that'd be happy with either Okafor or Towns, and while part of my head does say Towns, there's also a part that say Okafor. There's a lot of analytics lately showing how Towns was better than Okafor with all thos per minutes stats, but honestly, while those are fine, and I do think you have to take them into account, Okafor was THE man in his team, doesn't need a per minute stat because he actually did his thing with full minutes, while being the main focus of every defense, and still have some fantastic numbers, a great display of skills and actually led his team to the championship (even if he did play bad in the tournament). I can actually agree with Towns probably having more upside, but I think Okafor is almost a sure bet, definitely the most sure bet in this draft, and I agree with the Duncan comparison. He's still no Duncan, specially on defense (though he's not as bad as people make him out to be), but he's freaking 19 years old... and has a 7'5 (or was it 7'6?) wingspan. He can be a great rim protector, but yeah, he won't be stopping John Wall on the perimeter.

I'm also thrilled to see Randle, because he showed some great skills, though still needed to learn to really read the game... but he supposedly spent a lot of time watching videos, which is something I think he really needed, because those kind of things will help him learn when he should dribble and when he shouldn't, when to do what, instead of always trying to do everything. He definitely had a problem there, but he does seem like a hard worker, I don't think he's stupid and, well, he's kinda really, really young. He could be quite a force. I still think we had a lot of luck taking him at #7.

shoe and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  15. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

I prefer Towns, but I won't disappointed at all if Okafor comes here. Either way, we'll be acquiring a talented big on a rookie salary. Bigs cost major $$ on the FA market, so it's a huge break for us.

Randle showed a lot of promise during the preseason. He can pass dribble, drive, and post up smaller players. Hopefully, that can translate into the regular season next year.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I don't think it's a conspiracy. Sometimes scouts see something that they really like. For instance, JaMarcus Russell wasn't in the conversation for first QB in the draft or to be a first round pick even - until he crushed Notre Dame in their bowl game. Suddenly many were in love with him.

17. LaVarBallsDad

Beautiful HORNS sets run under D'Antoni. This is a 5 minute breakdown. It goes through we utilized Pau and Howard in the HORNS set. Maybe we potentially we could adopt some of those same principles, motion concepts, into our offense this year? Just an idea;

shoe, LakerFanIam and Battle Tested20 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not a conspiracy. the effect of having all the attention, both in terms of press and in terms of opposing teams.

this article touched a bit on the idea, i think:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-nba-draft-jahlil-okafor-willie-cauley-stein/

i think the media has enjoyed elevating towns as the no-brainer #1 once the lakers got the second pick, though. also not technically a conspiracy but the product of mass bias.

i had towns and okafor basically neck and neck all year; i don't see it any differently now.

19. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

20. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Is that the LAKERS spreading Towns' #1 status though in an effort to push Okafor to #2? I think that's a legit possibility.