2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

This whole "love of the game" criticism about players has always made me chuckle whenever I hear it.

Just ask Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Watching Access Sportsnet, Ding is pretty much convinced that they'll go Okafor and that the Lakers are pretty hyped about building a post-up offense between he and Kobe next season among others.

TIME, lakerjones and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

mudiay's shot mechanics are...not great. don't like the leg kick forward and the lack of elevation. it's a little marcus smart-ish, though, to his credit, the ball has more arc.

I just don't see that motion working in game situations. big and athletic, though. he'd be in my mix if I were at 4 or lower.

4. therealdeal

Yeah but Mudiay is a big, strong dude. If we'd ended up 4th to 5th I'd definitely be interested in Mudiay. He was 3rd or 4th on my list all season long.

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I knew Ding was going to be on tonight, but I missed him; what else did he say?

6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

The way I'd feel considering where we were prior to the lottery.

Okafor --- :party:
    Towns --- :rock:
    Russell --- :clap:
    Mudiay --- :)
    Hezonja --- :cool:
    Porzingis --- :sweating:

Although I have my preferences, I'd honestly be happy with anyone above Mudiay. If we take either of the Euros, it would mean the FO sees superstar potential, and I'd trust their decision, but Porzingis would have me sweating.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but he said a lot of what we've kind of said regarding Okafor. A few highlights:

- Okafor is the guy the Lakers seem to have centered on. He thinks the combination of his great talent and post game along with his clear desire to be here has the Lakers taking him.
    - He thinks Towns goes first and loves his overall talent. Ding fears Towns might not have the same kind of love/obsession with the game that guys like Russell and Okafor have shown. Upside is too high though to pass up on.
    - Likes Porzingis, but he's a less known entity than Okafor. Can Porzingis make the team better? Can he elevate his teammates? Great talent though and sees a difference between him and the other high profile Euros of the last few years.
    - Thinks Russell ultimately ends up in Philadelphia and helps turn them into (in his words) a "good team finally". lol
    - He likes Butler's potential interest, but doesn't find it likely at all and thinks it's potentially hazardous to tie up your cash for three days.
    - He's still really high on trying to get OJ Mayo, but Mayo is more of a trade target so we'd have to eat up his 8 million dollar contract.
    - Thinks it's unlikely they'll be able to move up in the draft. He knows they don't want three rookies with JR and JC. Proposed a draft-n-stash.

abeer3, lakerjones, TIME and 2 others like this.
  8. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^ Interesting that OJ Mayo's name comes up, after the article on Logo saying how selfish he thought he was. Could Mayo and Swaggy P co-exist? I guess a better question is, which one would Kobe kill first?

lakerjones, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Good stuff. Thanks.

therealdeal likes this.
  10. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe that's chalk?

Haven't noticed .... is LeBron still doing his dramatic chalk toss in the air at the start of games?

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Snoozerama with Mudiay in that video. No getting cute with this pick. Take the big man.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  12. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Chad Ford has Russell at 2... Okafor at 3. Russell is smooth and can play but I don't get that at all. It's like preferring a Korgi over a Pit Bull. Seriously... The 25th can come fast enough.

lakerjones likes this.
  13. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Mudiay is athletic, but he doesn't appear to be a Westbrook-level freak athlete. Maybe that changes as he matures and gets into an NBA training program though, it's certainly possible. I think point guards especially need to be seen in real game action, and becaus Mudiay isn't working out against anyone and only played 12 games in China it's tough to really get a feel for what kind of a guard he projects to be. High risk, high reward pick for sure. If the Lakers are going guard though it would appear that Russell is the better fit and likely the better player, although again Mudiay is a wildcard and could be better than people realize.

Right now I think the only way Mudiay ends up in LA is of the Lakers trade down a few picks, like with New York at 4 or Orlando at 5.

14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    We end up with him and I'm gonna be IRATE. What's his ceiling? Nowhere near Okafor's.

15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

You can say that again... Looks like Shumpert 2.0.

ElginTheGreat and Barnstable like this.
  16. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Absolute ceiling is Westbrook, but the more I see the more I like the Tyreke Evans comparisons. I think Mudiay is more athletic, but he's closer to Evans style-wise than Westbrook.

Besides, if the Lakers end up with him it means that 1. They see something that others don't, which is possible. They recognized talent in Bynum and Clarkson that others didn't see, and 2. They likely moved down and picked up an asset. What if Orlando offered Vucevic and 5 for 2 and Nick Young? May or may not be enough to trade down, but IF the Lakers think Mudiay is better than Okafor then they absolutely do it.

Of course all that is incredibly unlikely, just saying Mitch should get the benefit of the doubt. We don't see most of what they do, both in workouts and interviews.

17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    In Mitch We Trust.

18. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Less than a week away...!!!

[​IMG]

19. therealdeal

If we end up with Mudiay it's only in a trade down scenario. There's no chance we take him at #2.

And in that case maybe we end up with Mudiay and another player in which case, I'd be alright doing it (depending on the player of course).

When you've got a shot at the best Center in the game though, you take. Assuming of course that Okafor looks as good up close as he has from afar throughout his college career.

LakerFanIam likes this.
  20. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

^^ If the Lakers truly aren't completely blown away with either Okafor or Russell, I can absolutely see them trading down..

I'm starting to get anxious..