2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. JLaker17

JLaker17 - Lakers Starter -

Didn't Ireland just say the other day that he asked like 20 Laker officials and they all said Okafor?...

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I know we agreed. Believe me. I notice when we are on the same page since it's as often as Haley's Comet passing by. :D I just feel like maybe that's what the front office is thinking? (if the Russell rumors are true) Two guards who are around 6'4"-6'5" and an athletic 3/4 hybrid. If anything, we need to take Okafor to exploit the Warriors. He may be our only shot.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

When I see this picture, one thing comes to mind: Okafor needs to moisturize in between his fingers.

Barnstable likes this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I don't buy the scout's assumption that Jah doesn't love the game. Players who don't love the game don't study its history and add things from that to your repertoire. I think this is classic case of the TD stoicism being misinterpreted.

And for the weight, many bigs come into the league not in ideal NBA weight. This is a freshman college kid. Classes, dorm life, freshman 15, games, and practice. You don't have the time for the gym that you have in the NBA and you don't have the strength and conditioning guys who work around the clock for NBA teams who have in a say in everything from meal plans to what/how/when/how much you lift, do cardio, or whatever form of weight training the team wants. The fact that he's already trimmed up during the workout process is reassuring.

5. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Also Larry Brown said Philly was the only team in the top 4 not to speak to him a single time regarding Mudiay. Such idiots for not even doing homework and further suggests Russell to Philly.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

From Ford's chat yesterday

7. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

We should get Jahlil back to El Segundo for a second workout, this time to have him go one on one vs Julius. It'll be interesting to see if his three a day workouts have been paying off on the defensive end.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    A certain Andrew Bynum did not have a deep love of the game, but he was doing ok before his glass knees broke.

I'm 100% confident in Okafor's mindset. You don't say you are looking forward to Kobe yelling at you if you don't love the game and are driven to be the best. Kid is a 19 year old beast who will one day be a 25 year old BEAST. He will destroy a league that went small trying to imitate GSWs.

Give him to me.

9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

It's worth noting that it's been reported that neither Okafor or Russell left the Lakers "blown away" after their first auditions. Okafor struggled with the pace of the workout and Russell was dealing with an illness that eventually forced him to cancel his workout with the Philadelphia 76ers. The NBA Draft is one week out, giving the Lakers a tight timeline to make any final observations.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...hlil-okafor-dangelo-russell-nba-draft-workout

First I've heard of the bolded; well, if he's struggling during that, Byron's going to kill this kid during conditioning drills. :rofl::rofl:

ElginTheGreat, TIME and therealdeal like this.
  10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Better start running, son!

TIME likes this.
  11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Good, a kid like Okafor will take it in stride.

12. LaVarBallsDad

He better or he'll pull a hammy like Ryan...

13. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

Blatt is a good coach. Credit to Bron, but they dont even come close if it wasn't for Blatt's defensive schemes.

Regarding the "wired" segments, you wont hear any coach talking about strategy in those. Simply because they arent allowed to show those on TV for obvious reasons. "Wired" segments for coaches are useless, they all just show motivational speeches.

14. LaVarBallsDad

15. LaVarBallsDad

A lot thinner at the last workout. He looks good.

16. LaVarBallsDad

The Lakers have continuously narrowed their search on who they will consider for their No. 2 pick for the NBA Draft on June 25.
    That has entailed working to bring back prospects for a second look. The Lakers made progress on that front on Thursday by hosting point guard Emmanuel

Mudiay for his second pre-draft workout at the team’s practice facility in El Segundo. The Lakers hope to do the same with Duke center Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State point guard D’Angelo Russell. Mudiay’s individual workout was not open to the media, and the Lakers will follow the same course presuming Okafor and Russell work out again. The Lakers will have open workouts, however, for prospects they will consider with their 27th and 34th picks on Friday.

The Lakers also hosted a private workout on Monday for Kristaps Porzingis and are hoping for a workout for Kentucky center Karl-Anthony Towns. But that might not happen since Minnesota is expected to select Towns with the No. 1 pick.

Mudiay has worked out plenty recently in Los Angeles in which he has offered both glimpses of his athleticism and speed and uncertainty regarding his shooting. Mudiay appeared streaky with his outside shooting both in an individual workout with the Lakers on June 6 and a private workout at an athletic club in Reseda on June 11. But in his private workout open to members of his agency, Rival Sports Group, and a handful of reporters, Mudiay showed more of his speed, dunking and athleticism that has intrigued NBA talent evaluators. Mudiay has also worked out with the New York Knicks, Philadephia 76ers and Minnesota Timberwolves.

Mudiay averaged 17.7 points on 54.5 percent shooting from the field, while averaging 6.0 rebounds and 5.1 assists last year with the Guangdong Southern Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association. But he shot only 37.4 percent from 3-point range and 57.4 percent from the foul line.

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2...manuel-mudiay-has-second-workout-with-lakers/

17. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

He still looks pudgy to me. I dont know why but I just have doubts about his ceiling. He has a high floor though.

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

man, his hands look bizarrely huge even from a distance. not that I think it matters as much as some, it's just freakish.

19. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

20. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -