2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Has anyone read anything about them even scheduling a meeting or workout with Towns yet? Seems like this is a done deal between the 2 players and MN and the Lakers.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I miss that team. More importantly, I miss winning...

3. LaVarBallsDad

I haven't heard anything, man.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Latest on Towns was from Mitch's mouth after Okafor's workout. They haven't met with him, they've tried...repeatedly, he's hopeful they'll be able to in the next couple weeks and he's optimistic they'll be able to.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree with you two.

It's really not a trend. It's the Lebron era. Just like how Jordan dominated the 90s without a dominant big. By the time we're ready to contend, Lebron will be on his way out and the league will revert back to the bigs dominating.

CarolinaLakerFan likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

That doesn't sound like a guy longing like Okafor to be a Laker, or wanting to waste his time if he already knows he's headed to MN. But maybe they still hook up.

7. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

^Wiggins probably convinced Towns [...and Karlito] while watching Fargo together that they will be in The Twin Cities so they can save the plane fare.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

They were supposed to have a workout either late last week or early this week... So far no updates.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    We walk away from this draft with at MINIMUM after the last two years:

An outstanding young Power Forward in Julius Randle who is a stud / franchise type player potentially
    A young PG in Clarkson who grows with confidence every game, and is a keeper
    A young BIG that essentially seems like a "Can't Miss" prospect

With a few more solid moves, we have a potential dynasty in the making with all of the cap room coming up to add key pieces. Good times to be a Laker when you know that winning will be back on the horizon soon.

10. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I agree. I know its premature to say anything like that...But I think if the Lakers play their cards right we might be in for a great 5-10 years here. Im not saying they are gonna be winning rings left and right, but they could be very competitive for a long time.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, I was reading the latest in a slew of "see, dantoni was right!" articles the other day and just laughed. steph curry is a singular talent: highly unorthodox and very rare. so was young steve nash. it's not like the league is chock full of these types, who can allow you to play a very different style of basketball. there are teams winning consistently playing various styles and teams losing miserably playing varying styles. I think it's sort of embarrassing to read all these supposed basketball geniuses suggesting that we've never seen anything like this before and that the game has changed fundamentally and forever...because two teams opted not to play their centers in the finals.

fun historical sidenote to this: dallas let nash walk for nothing and used his cap savings to bring in a marginal center (they hadn't had one in years). nash won two mvps, but his former team made the finals and won 67 games a couple years later. in a time supposedly dominated by a wizard pg on a fast-paced team, his former team (basically playing without a pg and in a slow and rudimentary offensive system designed to set up a half-court defense) won just as much or more, depending on your measure.

12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree completely. People in the media are making way too much out of "dominating guards" and no inside game. It has nothing to do with an evolution of the game, and everything to do with who the current talented players are. There is one dominant big right now in Anthony Davis. He's it. And he took a team about as talented as the Cavs are right now (without LBJ) to the playoffs in the West. Are people really stupid enough to believe that if you dropped 26 year old Shaq on ANY team in the NBA, they wouldn't be INSTANT contenders? You give me 26-27 year old Shaq right now as a starting point, I could win the East. He would average 45 points a game with the power and small forwards that are passing for centers in this league right now.

trixr4kids, JSM, therealdeal and 2 others like this.
  13. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

In this east conference Shaq and Kobe from 2000-2003 would have to play 70 games to reach the finals, 15 in the playoffs and about 55 to get in with 40-15 record!

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I agree as well. The sport of basketball is no rocket science. The taller you are and closer to the basket you are, the better of you are. The most efficient shot is a dunk. Then a layup. Then a hook shot. Dominant bigs are invaluable, past or present.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The media likes their stories that result in the masses buying their crap which results in a less than educated public which waits for more media nonsense. It's a dog chasing its tail.

The post big man dominates a game because he immediately commands a double-team. It's no different than what Steph Curry or LeBron James does regularly: make defenses adjust. Except that when you have a unique and talented big man it's EASIER. Eventually it'll be impossible for even LeBron to get to the rim let alone a smaller guy like Curry. Curry's ball handling will eventually tail off and his game will become more and more marginalized. When you've got a talented Center who can play with his back to the basket around the rim, half the work is done already. Instead of running pick and rolls all day to get the defense to shift, you're already shifting the defense because they have to double to keep you from scoring.

A post big provides you with a layup threat at all times. The defense moves to double, then you pass the ball around the perimeter and you can get the same open three that Golden State gets with half the work. If they try to go single coverage, the post big man eats up the defense while probably getting his defender in foul trouble. Foul trouble means more free throws means more easy points.

The Lakers have built their franchise around post big men because it's the easiest way to dominate a game. It's hard for a shorter guy to get to the rim constantly. A big guy is literally already there.

16. LaVarBallsDad

KEVIN DING @KevinDing
    Okafor vs. Towns? Lakers vs. Timberwolves on first day of NBA Summer League in Vegas at 5:30 p.m. PT on July 10.

Anybody want to go too Vegas?

17. LaVarBallsDad

18. LaVarBallsDad

19. LaVarBallsDad

RJ Hunter reminds me of Kenyon Martin.

20. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Damn, I'm going the weekend before.