2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Ok, that's all I needed to see. Anyone that's going full Mr. T on draft night is my pick. PORZIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Most measurements have Okafor at 6'11" and he has a wingspan of 7'6" which will allow him to play just as big as Gasol who has a 7'3" wingspan. Not to mention his rock-solid frame and huge hands. Thus his size is never mentioned as a weakness.

3. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, he's 19. I grew until I was 22. I read somewhere that he was tested and that he might top out at 7"1'.

LTLakerFan and tada like this.
  4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    TIME likes this.
  5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

TIME and trodgers like this.
  6. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Let me just add that the King of the short, wide base centers, Wes Unseld, was 6"7' and held his own against guys like Kareem and Wilt. With Okafor's body type, skills and intelligence he is going to do well against a MUCH weaker crop of centers in the league today.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Don't fall in love with the dunking highlights! Okafor isn't very explosive, but he's more skilled than any Center coming into the League since Timmy D. All of Porzingis' dunks look great with no one else on the floor. He's going to get absolutely dominated in the NBA for years until he fills out. He's too weak for the NBA right now.

I believe Pincus was the one who did the size comparison, but he said Okafor is huge. He might be shorter than Pau, but he might be bigger framed. Pau is also a legit 7 foot. The Lakers measured Okafor at 6'11" in his shoes. To go with a 270 pound frame that's pretty great.

We do have to temper our expectations though. Okafor will be a beast but he won't be a 20/8/3 guy his rookie season. I expect probably 15/7 with an assist or two and maybe a block a game his rookie year

ElginTheGreat, TIME, tada and 2 others like this.
  8. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

TIME likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, I looked again, and the few measurements available have him 1-2 inches taller than Jefferson with an extra 3-4 inches in wingspan.

i'll take a bigger al Jefferson. and I think okafor is way ahead of Jefferson in terms of passing out of double teams, which was a big problem for al for a long time (may still be, I haven't seen him as much since was banished to basketball nowheresville).

therealdeal, TIME, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Understood. I'll cite this example: Gasol's and Odom's stats during our championship run were never mind boggling. Although, efficient, we come to expect certain numbers they would tend to put up during a game, a season, right?

WTS, the efficiency they did it with, they way they meshed in the triangle system and played with one another outweighed just looking at their stats and actually the impact they were having on the court.

I'm not sure that Pau's career numbers were that much better than Boozer or even Odom for that matter.

What I do know is that while one player may have a similar statistical output to another, there are other factors that supersede stats.

I'd be happy if Randle as the same statistical output as Boozer through out his career; nevertheless, because he has a different skillset than Boozer, I think he could have an impact on the court in a more variety of ways and not top out in the 2nd round which Boozer has done up until this point in his career.

In the end, I expect Okafor/Randle to work hard, put in the effort, and maximize the talent they have.

It will be up to the coaching staff to develop these very talented young men and put them in positions for success. That, I am not so sure with this staff, but that's another topic altogether.

11. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I think Randle and Okafor could be an awesome big combo, honestly. I can't see how teams could guard them both - provided we put another shooter or two on the court. That's why a wing player is so important.

tada, therealdeal, TIME and 5 others like this.
  12. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

What's strange to me is that all measurements have Towns listed at 7'-0" and Okafor either at 6'-10" or 6'-11"..
    However. Every picture I've seen of them together & especially when they were being interviewed together before the Draft Lottery,
    Okafor always seems taller than Towns.. & it's not just the hair..

[​IMG]

13. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. That's why I am favoring Green over any wing right now because of his skillset and experience playing with Duncan.

TIME, SFGOLDRUSHER and trodgers like this.
  14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Okafor is freaking big. Doesn't matter to me whether he's 7 foot technically or not. Dude is big and can play Center - has size and strength to spare, footwork for days and gigantic mitts. He'll be just fine.

15. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Okafor has better posture. That right there can make a difference in 1-1.5", especially if you factor difference in shoes/soles between two people.

16. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Will be cheaper as well, not to mention doesnt need ball in his hands to score. Can start at 2/3 if kobe hangs them up after this year. Which he wont.

TIME likes this.
  17. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Anyone else notice a arm/hand is missing from this picture? And yeah, it is a little strange that Towns is listed as being a bit taller than Okafor, but pictures can be deceiving too. It's possible Towns is just slouching a little.

18. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

19. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

20. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Okafor seems to have his hand behind his back and the angle of the pic makes it seem like its gone.

As for their height even at the draft okafor seems taller than towns, he has good posture and towns seems to slouch a little so that could be the reason but for those worried about his height hes still 19 and can grow a few inches before its all said and done