2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

From what I've seen from Russel, he doesn't having that imposing physical game that I see from Stanley Johnson.

Yeah, Russel is extremely talented offensively as a PG, but he reminds me of a short Kevin Martin than a Stephen Curry. I don't get that swagger vibe from him as I do with Johnson. Guys like Durant and Curry had that while in college

therealdeal likes this.
  2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Stanley Johnson will never be that sexy pick everyone is looking for or that guy that appears to have the highest ceiling. I do believe though that he will be the safest bet out of the top 5 guys, including Okafor. Johnson much like Leonard and Butler of the pros might not do any one thing extraordinarily well but he'll be great at many different things.

Give me that kind of player any day, and from a perimeter defender standpoint we need someone like Stanley Johnson the most.

PG - Dragic
    SF - Stanley Johnson
    PF- Randle

This is a nice, balanced core right there. PG, perimeter guy (defender), and low/high post guy

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Stanley Johnson will do something at an elite level right off the bat: defend. He's the best perimeter defender in the draft. If we get him a coach like Artest or Cooper this guy could be a DPOY candidate within a few years I'm confident in that.

I don't see the hype around Russell honestly. He's still below Okafor, Towns, Johnson, and Mudiay to me.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

There should be a lot of hype around Russell; he has a lot of translatable things he is going to being to the NBA Level.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  5. therealdeal

I think Johnson is more easily translated. Bigger, stronger, great defender, solid athlete, and winning pedigree.

abeer3 likes this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

Johnson will go top 5. I would not pick him over Russell, though. Agree to disagree.

7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Yeah. I I like Johnson a lot and wouldn't cry any tears if we end up with him.

BUT, I think Russell is being undervalued heavily here. There is a reason he is rocketing up so many draft boards. The kid can ball. He is 6'4." He can score, rebound, and pass.

Man oh man can he pass.

He is a freshman leading a group of upper classmen.

At this point, he has topped Okafor and is averaging the most points for game among freshmen in the country.

He has a .477 fg percentage and .444 3pt shooting percentage.

I haven't seen Johnson come close to dominating a game the way Russell has the last week or so.

Still a long way to go in this season, but I completely understand why Russell is getting so much love right now.

shoe and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I like guys who clearly have nba size and athleticism for the position to which their skills suit them. it's actually less common than one might think in the draft. Johnson is an nba sf, and I think he's one of the safest (if not the safest outside of okafor) picks in the draft.

I haven't seen enough of Russell yet to be able to confidently state the same about him, but it sounds possible based on other comments.

9. LaVarBallsDad

I couldn't respond the way I want it; I was on my phone, watching the game tonight, etc; by the way, I think we should all be ecstatic we're going to potentially have a top 5 pick to begin with adding another potential young stud to our core that we're developing in Tarik, Kelly, Clarkson, Randle, Davis (whom I hope we keep). Also, our scouting department has been really solid...I have no doubt that after all the workouts are in and wherever and whomever we land, they'll (Lakers) \make the right choice.

Now, onto Russell. He has the highest IQ I've seen in a College Basketball player since Anthony Davis; the highest I've seen in a guard since Steph Curry. As Elgin pointed out, he could pass, but not only pass, but pass wit the perfect technique either with a perfect bounce pass in TRANSITION or right into the shooters pocket; he sees those passes 2 or 3 frames ahead as has well; he frequently studies breakdowns of games with other players constantly looking for ways too improve the teams performance...a student of the game. Very, very, good sign.

By the way, Elgin pointed out his shooting which is not an aberration; all of his misses are 'quiet;' meaning they don't bang hard off the rim and are normally straight but just a little long/short. A sign of a good shooter.

By the way, OSU plays man and switches all off ball screens which is true of most NBA teams as well, and he navigated through them very well. He's efficient with dribble and does a great job of using a change of speed to get to the basket.

He's not without his flaws, though. He can get lazy defensively, plays too high up in his stance, and he's the victim of constant back door cuts. He doesn't have elite athleticism; above average, though. He's better suited to play off ball defense; his on the ball defense is not bad, but it could be better.

And this is not too say that Johnson won't make a great pro, I just think Russell is better. Just a matter of opinion.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  10. therealdeal

I agree and that's really all I'm saying. I've seen a lot of Johnson already and what I see is an NBA player. I haven't seen enough of Russell yet and what I've seen shows me potential, but not an NBA player right now. Maybe that changes, there's still plenty of time but right now I'm on the Johnson train.

11. LaVarBallsDad

12. therealdeal

I completely agree with this. If we end up with Russell I'll be far from upset. The kid has plenty of talent, I just prefer other players right now.

We're going to get a Top 5 pick in the draft for the first time since James Worthy. The Lakers have always had an eye for the right guys up in this rarefied air. Here's what our picks have looked like in the last 10 years:

2005: Andrew Bynum (10), Ronny Turiaf (37), Von Wafer (39)
    2006: Jordan Farmar (26), Cheikh Samb (58)
    2007: Javaris Crittenton (19), Sun Yue (40), Marc Gasol (48)
    2008: Joe Crawford (58)
    2009: Toney Douglas (29), Patrick Beverley (49), Chinemelu Elonu (59)
    2010: Devin Ebanks (43), Derrick Caracter (58)
    2011: Darius Morris (41), Andrew Goudelock (46), Chuckwudiebere Maduabum (56), Ater Majok (58)
    2012: Robert Sacre (60)
    2013: Ryan Kelly (48)
    2014: Julius Randle (7), Jordan Clarkson (45)

There's a shocking number of NBA caliber players on there. When you consider teams that have been in the lottery for years and not gotten talented players where they needed them, our scouting department has done a great job. A lot of our 2nd Rounders end up being NBA caliber players when a lot of 2nd Rounders never even make it into an NBA game.

I have faith Mitch and Jim will make the right pick with the slot we're given.

13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

When you list them out like that we drafted some pretty good players. Sucks we didn't hold on to the better players but still, the scouting team have done their jobs.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

Really either the Lakers made use of, or other teams made use of, MOST of those picks. Joe Crawford, Chinemelu Elonu, Sun Yue, and Cheikh Samb were maybe our only stinkers and we even kept Yue on for a bit. Morris and Goudelock started a playoff game for us. We turned Maduabum into Lin/1st Round pick. Majok is still with the D-Fenders I think. Douglas, Crittenton, and Wafer flamed out a bit, but they went on to be rotation players elsewhere and were talented enough just didn't have the smarts (especially Crittenton yikes!). Caracter I think we got about as much juice out of him as we could. Ebanks was given plenty of chances and if he had any brains at all he'd be in the NBA still.

Then there's guys like Farmar, Turiaf, and Beverley that went on to have decent careers. Not to mention Gasol and Bynum both being All-Stars... Kelly and Sacre are NBA talent found in the last dregs of the draft...

Mitch and Jim have been rock solid in the draft.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Well, we did what we needed to get 2009 and 2010. People complain that we "threw away draft picks", but it wasn't like we were in a position to draft high anyway. (Again with the CP3 Veto Reference) If Stern hadn't done so, we would've been fine. We kept the draft pick the year we actually landed in the lottery and probably got a Top 3 talent out of it, despite Randle's injury. Embiid, Wiggins, Gordon, Exum, Smart don't seem much ahead in talent in my opinion.

If one thing that could have changed, would be the protection on this 2015 pick. 1-7 AT LEAST. 1-10 would have been ideal.

We're making good choices with our picks, sure some teams make off with the draft (somehow San Antonio always does), but for the most part, the draft lottery is as much a lottery as getting the pick, as the player you get with the pick. It's not always a sure shot.

16. LaVarBallsDad

17. therealdeal

The protection hurts definitely. Other mistakes in the draft: including our first to get rid of Sasha back in 2010 for those two 2nd round picks and Joe Smith. I didn't like that deal. Not trading Pau for a pick when we had a chance was another mistake.

But all things considered the track record is still very, very strong. And like you said it's not just a gamble of WHERE you pick, but WHO. The Magic took Gordon way too high just last year.

18. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

If we draft Johnson, Okafur, or Towns, targeting a FA Pg is a no brainer. But, suppose we draft either Mudiay or Russsell. What does that mean for our interest in Dragic or Rondo? Has Clarkson earned himself backup PG duty next season, or does he split time between 3rd string PG and backup SG?

In other words, do we gave a PG rotation of:

Dragic or Rondo/Mudiay or Russell/Clarkson
    or
    Mudiay or Russell/Clarkson/VETmin FA or second rounder or Houston pick

If we are happy with Mudiay/Russell + Clarkson in lieu of Dragic or Rondo, where do we spend that $15-20mil? Gasol and Aldridge aren't going anywhere. Do we go after Monroe even if we still keep Davis and Black and Kelly? Maybe we are able to land a really nice wing like Butler (pipe) or maybe spend less for a Matthews?

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  20. therealdeal

The more I think about it, the more I want a PG/SG with all that cash. Even if we draft a PG/SG like Russell or Mudiay I would still spend for Dragic or Rondo. Those guys won't be perfect right away from the draft. Look at the time it's taking to develop Clarkson. We need the veteran presence on the court.

If I were Mitch and/or Jim and I drafted Mudiay or Russell I'd look into Rondo. If he seems unlikely to make the jump, I'd quickly move to Dragic and spend less money to get him. Rondo is a better player, but I want to move quickly. Not to mention Dragic is slightly younger and has a less injury concerns. From there I call Wes Mathews. He's probably out of our price range after Dragic, but it's worth the call anyway. If you can't get Mathews for under 8 million then call Robin Lopez and Ed Davis and offer them each long-term contracts. Robin Lopez for 3/15 and Ed Davis for 4/12 or something like that. Your team might end up looking like:

Dragic/Russell
    Kobe/Clarkson
    Young/Wes Johnson?
    Randle/Kelly
    Lopez/Davis

I like it. The SF spot is still weak as all hell but um... I have a solution for that in 2016.

Punk-101 likes this.