2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

JSM and TIME like this.
  2. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Haven't read all posts so forgive me

I know that the towns/okafor discussion is separate thread so assuming we are still talking about all three picks - id love to see lakers grab Christmas with one of the later picks and sneak up and reach for Joe Young for the second rounder to add backcourt depth.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Karl Towns

-1.857 PPP in Transition (#1 in NCAA, min. 20 possessions)
    -Made 66% of his attempts at the rim
    -4.5 O-Rebs per pace-adjusted 40 mins. (#5 amongst prospects)
    -8.5 D-Rebs per pace-adjusted 40 mins. (#7 amongst prospects)
    -0.92 PPP on Post-Ups
    -46.4% on right-handed jump hooks (28 attempts)
    -77.8% on left-handed jump hooks (9 attempts)
    -2.2 Assists per pace-adjust 40 mins. (#4 amongst big man prospects)

4. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Towns is the blue chip of this draft hope that flip sanders gets stupid and either drafts okafor or trades us the pick

5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I heard Saunders talking on Colin Cowherd this morning. Sounded like a guy who was ok with picking Towns even if he didn't want to go there.

therealdeal and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  6. The Laker Link 3.0

The Laker Link 3.0 - Rookie -

Carvana/ADESA
    I say in this situation, it's ok to let Minnespta decide our fate. Are we really going to hugely complain whether we get Okafor or Towns. I don't think this is like Oden and Durant or Bowie and Jordan.

We all know both will pay off in the end. Both are really good and are getting great comparisons. One will play, sort of, with KG. The other will play with Kobe. I think both will be as good as they say.

We also get to put whichever one we get, with Randle which will be nice.

7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

If Towns pulls a "Francis" he's a Laker. If not, i'll gladly take Okafor :).

8. LaVarBallsDad

Unfortunately, Flip is much like our coach. Although, I think Byron is better and that's not saying much; either way, we might go back to the 90's style of playing basketball. I'm not a fan and don't think the league as been trending that way in awhile now. I think Memphis has peaked with it. I really, really, hope we could use Okafor on the block, n pick in roll, in transition, off cuts, spot-ups (if he develops a jump-shot), becomes a more physical screener, and learns how to box out properly. I don't want to be subjected to pounding the ball, for 18 seconds, dump into Okafor, while we stand around.

Obviously X's and O's are different than developing Okafor; I think he'll work hard and become an All-Star. I really do. I just don't want those X's and O's get into the way of stagnating his game because we can't think of anything more creative on the offensive end in how to utilize him and maximize his talent.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    RasAlgethi and thkthebest like this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

"“I think he’s (Okafor) so much a developing player and he’s still really young and obviously he’s got talent you can’t teach. And those are hands, feet, and really (he’s) an unbelievable kid. He will have to continue to develop an even greater work ethic because he’s gonna be playing against men and a little bit more of being precise.
    I hope he goes into an environment that will teach and not just expect him to be proven already. A good environment is like what Monty Williams has done with Anthony Davis…but Jah’s gonna be special.”

Coach K on Okafor

10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@RandleROFY I think the trend of the league being perimeter-oriented has more to do with the extinction of dominant bigs than the rise of 3-point shooting.

I mean, if we had Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson and Ewing in today's league, there would be no such trend.

11. LaVarBallsDad

I think Okafor could help change that pendulum. Nevertheless, even a team like Memphis has changed up their scheme a bit and focuses less on conventiona post-ups, but more high screen rolls, and playing utilizing Marc from the high post too initiate the offense.

JSM and tada like this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yes, good to have you here CLF!

13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

If make out of the draft with Okafor and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, that would make me incredibly happy.

I REALLY want RHJ too. Even it means trading the 27+34 up to get him. I think he'll be this years Draymond Green.

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Memphis' problem I think is that they can't score enough. Tony Allen is a liability on offense and as great as Randolph/Gasol are, they aren't exactly 'dominant' That's the problem when you focus too much on defense with no #1 option on offense.

15. LaVarBallsDad

They've upraded with Green to apparently help this problem. That didn't help. It could be Green's inconsistency, a lack of offensr, or a combination there of; fact is they rely less each passing year with two of the better post-up bigs in the game.

If we could develop a scheme, that utilizes the right players, I could see us going deep in the playoffs with Okafor as the number 1 option provided he improves on defense. That might be predicated on getting a Small Forward like Winslow that fit perfectly with Okafor in Duke. A guy like Carroll comes to mind. I think all of the better SF's get maxed out or least matched during their restricted free agency period.

lakerjones and tada like this.
  16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@RandleROFY

Yeah, Butler or Leonard would be so awesome but that is so pipe.

I haven't given up on Clarkson and Randle being our 1-2 punch. If both of them can develop into 20+ scorers, Towns may be a better fit. But as it stands, I can't envision that, so I want Okafor.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

The problem with Memphis has been their 3 point shooting. It's non existent. You don't have to rely on it when you have two interior threats like that, but you must have a couple guys to keep the D honest and either prevent guys from swarming them or make them pay for doing so. They've never successfully addressed that issue. Which is why a 3 & D SF is a must. He's not a cure all for that, but a monster step in the right direction.

18. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Great day for Laker fans! There's not much to think/ worry about between Towns and Okafur, The Wolves will have to make that decision. They both could bloom into outstanding players, or worst case scenarios, Towns = Tyson Chandler and Okafur = Al Jefferson, which ain't bad at all considering Randle and Clarkson could both develop into stars as well. The sleepers are the 27th and 34th picks. that's where the scouting dept. and Mitch will earn their money.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

So, if we switch Tony Allen out for Jimmy Butler does Memphis get by GS; I think so. I think you're right. I think they probably win the Finals in that scenario...

LTLakerFan and ElginTheGreat like this.
  20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

When you get right down to it, SUB -20 wind chill factors during the NBA season in the town where you are STUCK ....SUCK the proverbial BIG One.