2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

In an ideal world we grab a Top 5 pick, Randle heals, up and the off-season sees us get another good guard option. I've run through the scenarios and my favorite right now is getting Stanley Johnson.

1. Draft Stan Johnson (3.3 million). With Kobe, Randle, Nick, and Kelly that's 35 million. Cap Holds make it 39 million and give us roughly 27 million to spend.
    2. Draft RJ Hunter, Hollis-Jefferson, or Tyron Wallace (1 million). Now that's 36 million and Cap Holds make it 27 million.
    3. Sign Goran Dragic 4/48 million. It'd start at less than 12, but let's use that. Leaves us with 15.5 million.
    4. Sign Robin Lopez 3/18 million. Make it six flat a year. Shouldn't be any more expensive than that. Leaves us with 10 million.
    5. Sign Ed Davis to 4/20 million. Make it five flat. More than fair I think for him. Leaves us with 5.5 million.
    6. Give Clarkson the Kelly deal- 2/3.37 million. First year starts at 1.65 million. Leaves us with 4.35 million.
    7. If Lin is willing to come off the bench, give him a 3/12 million dollar deal. If not, use the rest of the money to bring back guys like Ellington, Wes, and Sacre. There's enough money left to also play with some of those contracts if need be to smooth things over. Roster next season:

Dragic/Lin/Clarkson
    Kobe/Ellington
    Johnson/Young/Hollis-Jefferson
    Randle/Kelly
    Lopez/Davis

Fill the rest in with minimum deals like we've done the last few years. I dig it. Still too young, still growing, but I dig it a lot.

2. therealdeal

Johnson is still raw too, but the kid has a great NBA body. Solid muscle and he's in the 240 range. Good length. Not a great athlete, but an NBA athlete. A lot of room to grow, but reminds me of Artest almost immediately and in the right place I think he could end up with Butler type growth.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

4. therealdeal

Reverse Standings:

1. Knicks 7-36
    2. Wolves 7-34
    3. Sixers 8-34
    4. Lakers 12-31
    5. C Bags 13-26
    6. Jazz 14-28
    7. Magic 15-30
    8. Pacers 15-29
    9. Kings 16-26
    10. Pistons 17-26

Of the teams in the bottom five we're by far the coldest. The Knicks have won two in a row. The Sixers are 4-6 in their last 10 games. The Wolves are 2-8 in their last ten, but are only on a two game losing streak. We are 2-8 in our last 10 games and we've got 6 losses in a row. Kobe is hurt now so he'll take even more time off. I still don't know if we could catch up to any of those bottom three, but I still think our grip on the 4th spot is pretty strong.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Wolves are about to get/ have gotten Martin and Pek back. They will start winning more games.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Of all the teams that really shouldn't be there, it's the Knicks.

7. therealdeal

You're both right. The thing is with Kobe out more or less the rest of the year our roster is as bad as any of theirs. All it takes is some mojo from one of those squads and we'll drop a spot.

Bottom four is "good", but bottom three is "great".

With a bottom four record we get an 82.8% chance at a Top 5 pick.
    With a bottom three record we get a 96% chance at a Top 5 pick.

With a bottom two record we get a 100% chance at a Top 5 pick.
    With the worst record in the NBA we get a 100% chance at a Top 4 pick.

8. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I mean, having Melo alone in the East SHOULD NOT be the bottom of the league. That's just inexplicable as a "franchise player."

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I am still a big fan of Johnson and Winslow and certainly wouldn't mind us grabbing either one of them. I probably lean more toward Winslow right now since I have seen more of him.

But I must say Russell has looked pretty impressive in the games I have seen. I like Cauley-Stein, but his interviews make me wonder if he could handle playing in a city like LA.

10. ElginTheGreat

I think we manage a bottom five record pretty easily. Of all the teams other than the Sixers, I think we are the least likely to put together any kind of late season run.

11. LaVarBallsDad

Boston won. Good deal...

12. LaVarBallsDad

Reverse Standings:

1. Knicks 7-36
    2. Wolves 7-34
    3. Sixers 8-34
    4. Lakers 12-31
    5. Orlando 15-30
    6. Indiana 15-29
    7. Utah 15-28
    8. Boston 14-26
    9. Kings 16-26
    10. Pistons 17-26

I copied and pasted this, Real; I used your format. I switched up some teams since the C Bags won tonight. By the way, thanks for keeping us updated with the 'tank' standings. It is much appreciated. :)

13. LaVarBallsDad

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Wow I knew LA was out for Portland but did not think C Bags would win @POR. Great news for us!!!

15. ElginTheGreat

Russell is getting more and more consistent. If he is there at 4 or 5, I can definitely see us taking him.

16. ElginTheGreat

17. therealdeal

No problemo.

Honestly as much as I hate tanking/having to tank for our pick I think it's the only story-line left with this season that I care about. We're not in a position to trade for big talent. Most of our players won't be here the next two years... That pick is the only reason left to keep track of the Lakers' season.

Ordinarily I'm as against tanking as you can be, but since our pick is so heavily protected we need to do it. Necessary evils and whatnot.

18. therealdeal

I'm not feeling well so I am at home. I saw DraftExpress's New Top 100 Rankings so I decided to look closer at the prospects again. I've got to say I'm not all that high on Russell still even after closer inspection. He doesn't have top shelf athleticism, his decision making still needs work, and his work ethic isn't great. He still takes plays off and I'm not sure I'm seeing a kid with enough talent to off-set lack of focus. I don't see James Harden out there.

After closer inspection my rankings are a little different though:
    1. Okafor. Easily the best player in the draft at this point.
    2. Towns. A little raw, but you can't teach size and athleticism. Already a good shooter/passer/defender.
    3. Johnson. Has the look, has the talent, and he has the tools. Going to be a winner in this draft.
    4. Mudiay. Great, great talent, but he needs more work than people realize.
    5. Russell. Focus isn't always there. Effort isn't always there. Definitely a lot of talent, but is the athleticism on par?
    6. Cauley-Stein. Could be Tyson Chandler, but is he all there mentally?
    7. Oubre. Definitely showing good improvement. At least capable of being an immediate help offensively in the NBA. Needs development as All-Around player.

19. LaVarBallsDad

'Russell, on the other hand, has NBA level court awareness. He's proof that a you don't need a ball-dominant SG to be a playmaker.

He's able to get away with non-elite ball-handling with footwork, being left-handed, and basic hesitation moves. He does a great job of sealing off his defender once he gets ahead of the defender, but forces off-balance shots in no man's land when he does.

He's not Ginobili. He doesn't have that kind of footwork and first step.

He's not Harden. His IQ is MUCH more natural in a half-court set. Better shot selection in terms of context of the offense instead of forcing up absolute garbage.

He's not Curry. Not even close.

He's the closest to Brandon Roy. Roy was really able to explode at the hoop near rim level, and his athleticism was always known for being "deceptive." But, what he got his jumpshot going along with his court vision, he was tough to stop.

One of my concerns is the half set-shot he takes from the three-point line.

Second concern is defensive effort, but I think that's just because he's young.

Third concern is finishing over length. That can improve, but it's not easy. We haven't really seen him explode at the hoop.'

This is a little breakdown that somebody else posted on Russell; I'll post here. I thought it was fairly accurate.

20. therealdeal

Keeping track of the "competition" a bit:

Knicks (7-36) next 10 games: Magic, @Hornets, Kings, Thunder, @Pacers, Lakers, C Bags, @Nets, Warriors, @Heat
    Wolves (7-34) next 10 games: Pelicans, @Hawks, @Thunder, C Bags, @Sixers, Cavaliers, @Mavericks, Heat, Grizzlies
    Sixers (8-34) next 9 games: Raptors, @Grizzlies, @Pelicans, Pistons, Wolves, @Hawks, @Cavaliers, Nuggets, @C Bags
    Lakers (12-31) next 9 games: @Spurs, Rockets, Wizards, Bulls, @Knicks, @Bucks, @ Magic, @Cavaliers, Nuggets

I could see the Knicks moving "down" the rankings because I think the Sixers, Wolves, and Lakers could lose every single one of those next 9-10 games.