2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

LOL, not sure who it is. Someone here will post the info. Unless they just got lucky with finding Clarkson, they'll have my faith until proven otherwise.

2. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

No way. The talent floor of Okafor/Towns is far too high to trade down for a gamble on. Embiid being out for as long as he was is scary. None of Orlando's young players scratch the surface of the impact of what a Okafor/Towns can bring. I like Hezonja too, but I like the other two a lot more.

3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. I agree. Besides, I don't think Philly does this in a million years. They are going after a pg or a wing to team with their "Two Towers" and Orlando's got talent, but none of them are worth giving up #1. Besides, I think there are some talented players we can snag at 27. If we grab Okafor, there's Hollis-Jefferson, Justin Anderson, etc to fill our sf abyss. George Lucas maybe to give us some pg depth. You don't give up a likely minimum 18-9 center for the next 10 years in Okafor for some slightly above average depth.

4. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

Jerry West and Jerry Buss' sons are the ones who convinced them to draft Clarkson. Jesse Buss is the Director of Scouting and Ryan West is the Assistant Director.

5. Savory Griddles

Jerry West? No way hes giving us advise when he works for the Warriors.

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

He said Jerry West's 'son'. Ryan West was very influential in convincing upper management to take a flyer out on Clarkson.

Also, Jesse Buss...

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  7. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah. As between Ryan West and Jesse Buss, I wonder which one is pulling his weight... :think:

8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I think both guys are trying to prove their mettle. Competence rather than nepotism. Clarkson is a nice proof of their work.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I know that there's a younger Buss and one of Jerry West's sons in the scouting department (Ryan West I believe). There's others as well, but I don't know them by name. Also Mitch will go on scouting trips himself occasionally and I believe they have a 4 person team of MIT students that use analytics to help find both players in the NBA and talented youngsters.

fabulus, shoe and D-Fish Man like this.
  10. therealdeal

Yup. I read a great piece by Ryan West about how his father brought him along as a scout and how eager he is to prove his own worth. He's an earnest guy and I think he's doing a great job so far. Just like Jim, Jesse Buss has been quieter but since he's the man on top I think he's doing something right as well.

Our scouting department is top notch. They've been finding valuable pieces for years.

lakerjones and Barnstable like this.
  11. lakerfan2

Interesting combine results for the recent combine.

No "true" 7 footers without shoes on. Even Okafor and Towns aren't 7 footers without shoes though they didn't attend. Closest is Kaminsky at 6'11.75.

12. therealdeal

DE was going nuts over Upshaw's measurements. Physically he profiles as one of the best Center prospects to come through Chicago's combine.

The question was never physical though, it was all mental. His stock is certainly rising and I expect him to go in the teens when draft day rolls around.

13. therealdeal

The buzz I'm picking up is that Philly really likes Russell. Russell and Noel are friends, they feel like Embiid should be ready by then, and then you've got three young cats ready to grow together.

More and more I'm thinking we end up with a good shot at Okafor even if we end up at #4. Towns has the buzz right now, Mudiay has good buzz right now, Philly wants Russell... Okafor is the only one whose stock is slipping. If the draft order doesn't change I could see Minny taking Towns, NY taking Mudiay, and Philly taking Russell which would leave us Okafor.

NY then goes and gets Monroe in FA. Philly and Minny do whatever it is that terrible franchises do. We get Okafor and dance our way into the future. Throw a max at Butler... Bring back Davis and maybe Lin (preferably Mo though). Once Butler gets matched, throw a bunch of cash at Carroll. Roll into the future with a great young trio (Clarkson, Randle, Okafor), solid role players (Davis, Carroll, Young?), and enough room to either get that star player we want or to simply build around the three studs we've got incubating.

God I hope we keep that pick...

lakerjones likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

maybe i'll look stupid later, but russell over okafor seems insane.

lakerjones likes this.
  15. Savory Griddles

All that seems likely, but I still think its rather pointless to throw the max at Butler or Leonard. In those three days it takes for Chicago to match we may lose any shot at Carroll, Harris, Middleton...they all may be on their way. Granted, none of that kills us IMO. If we do snag Okafor to pair with Clarkson and Randle, and maybe find a solid wing at 27, we'll be well on our way.

16. lakerfan2

Do you think NY and one Phil Jackson would really take a player like Mudiay over someone like Okafor? I'm not sure there would be a solid dynamic with Mudiay and Melo. If anything, I think Phil would prefer the predictability and leadership of a player like Russell than Mudiay. Russell is more of triangle guard don't you think? Big PG who can take care of the ball, get the ball where it needs to be, has a good jumper, and is a decent defender. Then they can round out there triangle with said Monroe.

I think Philly is the one who wants Mudiay, which would really make them a dynamic athletic team. I think he possesses the better marketing ability than a Russell would. Make them more exciting.

That would still allow Okafor to fall to us:

1. MIN - Towns
    2. PHI - Mudiay
    3. NY - Russell
    4. LA - Okafor

But who cares, we're getting that first pick anyway. [​IMG]

17. lakerfan2

If RHJ is really predicted to land somewhere in the 20-25, I would hope we would look to package the #27 and #34 to move up and snag him. That would make me quite happy.

18. therealdeal

I agree, but that's what I've been seeing. Philly apparently feels comfortable passing on the bigger guys if they can get Russell.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I can see why Philly would pick one of the PG's over Towns or Okafor, but not NY. A Top 3 pick is a must to land Okafor.

20. therealdeal

Actually I do think Mudiay fits in NY better than Okafor. Okafor on paper fits the Triangle perfectly, but that team is built around Carmelo and the sense is that he and Okafor are ultimately a terrible fit. Okafor needs the ball sometimes on the block and well Carmelo won't let that happen. The sense I've gotten is that they'd prefer a young wing who can defend and will run the offense to get Carmelo the ball in his spots. Russell might be a better fit as far as the Triangle goes, but Mudiay's defensive ability puts him ahead of Russell.

Philly wants Russell but if Mudiay is on the board ahead of him, they would have to think about it at least. Got to take into account Philly loves Noel, they want to build a young core, and Russell and Noel are buddies. Not to mention Russell has already indicated he'd love to play in Philly.

lakerjones likes this.