2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

What was our deal? Wasn't it like I thought Philly would win 35 or 40 games, and you thought under?

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

The Curry comparison was beginning to give me a headache. So, for fun I compared Russell's stats against those over players with similar collegiate stats and similar size (all within a 2 inch and 10 lbs margin)...
    Russell's Stat Line
    19 ppg
    44.9 fg%
    41 3 pt%
    75.6 ft%
    5.7 rpg
    5 apg

The other Curry (not in NBA)
    17.5 PPG
    46.5 FG%
    43.8 3PT%
    80.9 FT%
    RPG & APG not worth noting

Elliot Williams (drafted 22nd)
    17.9 ppg
    45.9 fg%
    36.6 3pt%
    75.8 ft%
    4 rpg
    3.8 apg

Juan Dixon (drafted 17th)
    20.4 ppg
    46.9 fg%
    39.7 3pt%
    89.8 ft%
    4.6 rpg
    2.9 apg

Delonte West (drafted 24th)
    18.9 ppg
    51 fg%
    41.2 3pt%
    89.2 ft%
    5.4 rpg
    4.7 apg

Quincy Douby (drafted 19th)
    25.4 ppg
    46.2 fg%
    40.1 3pt%
    84.7 ft%
    4.3 rpg
    3.1 apg

Acie Law (drafted 11th)
    18.1 ppg
    50 fg%
    45.8 3pt%
    77.8 ft%
    3.3 rpg
    5 apg

George Hill (drafted 26th)
    21.5 ppg
    54.5 fg%
    45 3pt%
    81 ft%
    6.8 rpg
    4.3 apg

[​IMG]

abeer3 likes this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

^yeah, it could go that way with him, I think. AGAIN: I thought the same about curry and was obviously stupid.

therealdeal likes this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I think more athletic klay Thompson is the better ceiling projection (I don't think he shows the savvy of a ginobili, who's nash-esque in his hoop iq/craftiness), but I agree with the general sentiment. guy looks like a baller to me.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Something like that. I'll have to hunt it down but it's something in that range for sure.

6. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    My Updated Top 5 Draft Board as of today:

1) Towns
    2) Okafor
    3) Mudiay
    4) Winslow
    5) Russell

7. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Mine would be

Okafor
    Towns
    Hezonja
    if Hezonja is taken then trade the pick.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  8. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Hey fellas, been following up with yall this entire time but figured id stay incognito as long as possible waiting for this darn lottery to finally let us see whats in our destiny lol.

Agree with your top 4, I think #5 seems to be each persons favorite flavor.

With that being said, IF we dont get top 3 picks, I think you run up there and take Winslow. Just showed so darn much&Duke does not win championship without him. He is a Dukie so you know and have seen his smarts as a freshman.I LOVE Jimmy Butler but I think he has an even higher ceiling and IMO, is as close as you could possibly get to the word "safe", when describing taking a high prospect.

Clark
    Kobe
    Winslow
    Randle
    ?

With a boatload of cash to determine a starting center and filling out the rest of team.

I think most would agree if we get the #3 we take Mudiay? Can anybody give input if he can guard SFs? I would think with his length (I wonder official height) and athleticism, we could start Mudiay along with Clark and Kobe. Would definitely give us a lot of versatility on offense and guys that can create and make plays on their own.

Mudiay
    Clark
    Kobe
    Randle
    ?

Both scenarios are missing the same thing but I believe give us the best financial flexibility, not to mention with the ability to possibly/hopefully get a day one starter.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. therealdeal

Mudiay projects as a good defender at the 1 and 2, although probably not great. He definitely won't be guarding many SFs effectively although I'm sure he'd give it his best shot.

My board is still Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Johnson, Winslow but I know I'm one of the few still on the Johnson boat. I think if you miss on the top 3, you definitely take one of Johnson or Winslow. Not just because we need the body at wing, but because those kids are going to be solid NBA players.

Good to see you SF!

lakerjones likes this.
  10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I still like Johnson a lot, too, realdeal.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Id say good to see you too but ive already been stocking everyone, you included lol.

Im down with Stanley too real. He has an even bigger frame/length and even though I havent watched him much, I believe has been labeled more athletic than winslow and remember actually for most the year was ranked ahead of Winslow; also top 5 in most big boards.

I just like Winslow because hes more day one ready and had a great run to finish his stellar freshman season, seeming to get better as each game, even though they got more and more tough. Also can slide over to SG when Kobe hangs them up(Would be perfect for a Durant setup, i do want to get bigger/faster/longer).

Stanley has the better height to match up against Klay/Kawhi but Winslow I just have the feeling is too good to pass up(hopefully he measures higher than 6'7).

I guess I kind of see it as the Okafor/Towns scenario. I think Towns has higher ceiling but to me, especially situatoon we are in, I believe Okafor is more NBA ready right now and more of a safe pick.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    therealdeal likes this.
  12. therealdeal

You know that's a pretty interesting comparison.

I think the thing with Winslow is he's a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. He's able to do a bit of everything: good defender, good at getting to the rim, showed good improvement on his jumper, good rebounder in traffic... But he didn't show me anything great.

Johnson on the other hand doesn't do everything very well. He still struggles with his jumper, he's not very explosive in traffic, and he's not a great ball handler. He is however the best perimeter defender I saw in the NCAA this season. He and Hollis-Jefferson made a ridiculous perimeter defensive duo. I think in Arizona he was asked to be a scoring option AND a defensive stopper and it didn't always work out that way. He's not that capable of creating a shot for himself in the half-court. At the next level I think you could plug Johnson in at either wing spot and tell him to lock-down his opponent and he'd do a pretty damn good job most nights. If/when he can get that outside jumper down he's an immediate 3 & D threat with room to grow in other areas too.

Winslow might not ever develop past where he is which is a solid NBA player or he could find a specialty as a cutter or a shooter or whatever. Right now, I like the guy who has one elite talent and a low floor. That's where I see the Okafor comparison. Okafor might never be a rim protector, but he can create a shot for himself in the post right now in the NBA.

13. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the problem with the draft is that sometimes we all want to believe that there is a franchise cornerstone in every one. This year's draft, given the information we have now and lack of hindsight that will come with time, does not seem to have that. It is the type of draft where you have to throw your expectations of "value" out the window. People will go back and forth about how you cannot take Player X at Pick #Y because of whatever reason that they feel.

Ultimately, the draft is a way to acquire talent to help you win a championship, of course we all want it to be the next. The next Kobe, the next Magic, the next Kareem. But those are not the only players that help you win. Looking realistically I would take Okafor #1 even if you told me that he would never reach his "upside".

Now there is a word I hate come this time of year: "Upside".

It always gets tossed around like this magic elixir, when in reality it is more of a hindrance. Guys like Wes Johnson have "Upside". Bismack Biyombo has "Upside". It is this magical untapped resource that tells you, "They will get better at the game of basketball, despite not showing a great knack for the fundamentals of the game so far." The list goes on and on. Guys who didn't have "Upside"? LeBron, KD. You knew what they were when they walked in. Now, yes, they each got better, but they had some sort of elite talent and foundation to build on. Even if you don't want to look at cornerstone players, JJ Redick didn't have "Upside", you knew what he was, but he can help you win a title.

I would gladly take Okafor #1 in this draft. At worst you are more than likely getting (healthy) Brook Lopez type production. It's not sexy, it's not everything you hoped for in a #1 pick, but it's something that gets you closer to a championship. I would take a guy like Stan Johnson (trying to tie in to realdeal's post above) because, while he may not end up being Jimmy Butler or Kahwi Leonard, if you can get me a young, cheap facsimile of Tony Allen's defensive production, I'm happy. That gets us closer to a title.

These guys with the high floors should always be considered over guys with high ceilings. Not much in the way of headroom, but the fall won't kill you.

14. therealdeal

15. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    You guys have great points. @real, thats what I like about winslow..I think hell end up like a grant hill type player and more ready to contribute day one all around more than Johnson who probably has the bigger ceiling but a better defender though Winslow is also a gritty defender. He already does a lot of things well and youd think continue to improve them. Actually like him at SG in the long run. But with Clark, kobe, randle hopefully a new center, perhaps Johnson is the better option since theres only so man touches to go around.

I can see saying go and lock down so and so, and have him work on 3's to space the floor non stop.

Lets not get it twister, you owe us one NBA! Make things right Mr. Silver and give us the top two picks ;)

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Excellent post, @YoungThundercat

I can't agree more, and I have Okafor at #1. Also prefer Stanley Johnson over Winslow, but I'm just a little concerned that there were reports criticizing Johnson's work ethic.

17. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I've been on the Stanley Johnson train all year, but I'm not sure he's the defender that the last few posts have indicated. his lateral quickness and overall athleticism is not at tony allen's level. I'm not even sure he's got feet as quick as young artest, which allowed him to defend sgs.

I think he's a sf only, in other words. I think he could be a Harrison barnes type. this may not excite people, but I'd take Harrison barnes in FA this year were it possible.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Any starting level SF would be a huge plus for us whether we get him in the draft or FA. For that reason I'd rather have Johnson than a guard and though I like Winslow, he seems to me more of a SG than a SF. Johnson has more size.

JSM likes this.
  20. therealdeal

I disagree. I think he's got the footspeed to handle both the SG and SF spot defensively. I think he can take on PGs on occasion, but not regularly. I think he'd get eaten up by most PFs because while he's built like a tank, he doesn't have the great length.

When I see him I see Artest on the Lakers, not young Artest. Artest circa 2010 though was still a good player and a solid starter for us. If we could have that Artest for 10 years, that's a spot in the lineup we never have to worry about.

JSM and Punk-101 like this.