2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

A look at 5 of our options

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

3. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

There's gonna be a lot of good prospects there! There's also not going to be any of the Top 3 there which tells me that Mudiay, Okafor, and Towns are all absolutely certain they're going Top 3 maaaaaaaaybe Top 5 worst case scenario.

5. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    That's like my hand palming a kiddie bball. HUGE

6. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

7. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Nothing really stood out for me here. He has excellent vision, but didn't we see some of that with Kendall Marshall? I mean, what REALLY stands out about D'Angelo here?

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

What lakerfan2 said.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Russell, like ALL the other prospects has to be watched in totality throughout the season. Obviously, we all have our preferences and some will gravitate toward Russell, Winslow, Towns, Mudiay, etc; I've seen Russell the entire season (I have the Big-10 network), so I'm really familiar with his strengths and weaknesses. The video showed a couple of nice plays, but for the most part, it's the simple plays that he makes, the pace that he plays at, the ability to know when to attack recognize the mismatch or pass the ball right in the shooters pocket; all the little details that go into his game that truly make him a unique prospect.

On the other hand, while I do like his length, his lack of explosiveness will be a problem finishing at the rim, getting blitzed on pick in roll, and potentially trying to defend faster more athletic PG's and SG's in the league. Very slight frame, needs to get physically stronger, and attention to detail on defense needs to get better. I think he'll be a better off the ball defender than he is on ball. Still, I am truly excited about him.

OmarE, ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

Actually, more like a lack of burst will be a problem when he's blitzed on pick in roll. He's not as quick as some of the other top-notch PG prospects that got drafted in the past...

11. lakerfan2

I did catch Russell through the season and through the tourney.

The thing he's got going for him is his excellent vision, control, jump shot, and leadership. He's more of a PG than a SG and doesn't seem to have that ability to create for himself say like a Nash or CP3 can around the rim or off the dribble. He needs that to be an effective distributor if that's going to be his calling, or else, people are going to be reading him to pass every single time.

12. LaVarBallsDad

If he has a jump shot, that's the first ingredient. That will mean that his jump shot will open driving lanes for him, allow him to play off the ball, and/or be a spot up shooter and will effectively balance his game. The two things that will translate for Russell are his passing and shooting ability. Not to mention his skill level and IQ level are off the charts...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. therealdeal

I know Curry has just won an MVP while being built similarly (smaller in fact) but he's very unique in what he does. I'm just not sold that Russell will be able to emulate that in the NBA. Then again I was never sold on Curry so I could absolutely be wrong.

I'm not rooting against the guy, but I'd go with a few other guys first. Once I see him in workouts maybe he can change my mind, but right now definitely I'm hesitating.

JSM likes this.
  14. LaVarBallsDad

That's fair. We have to be very careful with this process on whom we select; coming off back-to-back 20 wins seasons, and I feel we need to get our pick on May 19th and hit a home run. Honestly, while I do like Russell, I like other players in this draft. If we get one of these players: Okafor, Towns, Russell, Winslow, WCS, Henzonja I'm going to be very happy.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  15. therealdeal

Precisely. If/when we get our pick, I'll trust that Jim and Mitch know what they're doing. We'll end up with the most talented kid at whatever position we draft in. All we need to know is exactly which pick we're getting.

16. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Here's the thing to remember with Russell: He is the only dude on that OS team. The other top picks have all sorts of talent around them. Russell was getting double and triple teamed a lot. In the pros, they won't be able to do that as much. If he was on the Lakers for instance, are you going to leave Kobe, Randle or Clarkson? Russell isn't my favorite prospect, but once again, anyone of Okafor, Towns, Mudiay, Winslow, Russell, Hezonja or WCS will be fine with me. All of them seem like they will at least be starters in this league. A few of them could be superstars.

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  17. lakerfan2

Not that I saw Curry coming, but going back and watching his college stuff, and that Davidson run he had, you could get a feeling he had that "swagger" about his game you just don't overlook. He was hitting similar shots he's hitting now. Sometimes, you just know about players.

Often when you have debate about a players potential, and IF they'd be able to reach it, it's a tough call. Sure, there are the few that sneak by or just dud out, but for the most part, I think you can tell when a player will be special or not.

18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I'll offer a site avatar bet to anyone here over whether Russell makes 1st team all Rookie team. I say he does, and depending on the team he is drafted by, he may win ROY.

19. therealdeal

Naaaah too easy. The first team all rookies this year aren't that great. I'd take the bet for ROY though.

20. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I'll take a Russell ROY bet. Winning ROY is too lofty. How about finishing top 3 voting for ROY?