2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Worst case scenario and Russell's athleticism hinders his ceiling in the NBA, couldn't he be a Rubio with a jumpshot, or is Rubio more athletic than he looks? Rubio + money jumper = a really nice PG.

2. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

I don't think he's nearly as natural of a creator as Rubio. I see a homeless man's Harden without some of the physical tools.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Well that's a bad example though because Rubio is always hurt. His smaller frame takes a beating in the NBA. Not to mention I think Rubio is still one of the better passers in the league and Russell just isn't on that level. Russell is a SG with very good PG skills like Ginobili or Harden. Rubio is just a straight PG with almost no SG skills at all.

4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

PLEASE let teams be dumb enough to let him slide to us! And I'm sorry, I get a team like Philly having him ranked 3rd, but the GM for whatever team has him ranked 5th should resign today.

if we pick after Minny, that'd mean Mudiay falls into our laps. Works for me.

Even if we don't land either guy I want us to take, if we're able to walk away with an all star...Mitch did his job.

5. Punk-101

The injury concern of having a smaller frame like Rubio's is valid. I just don't agree with Russell not having good enough PG skills. From what I've seen, and what scouts seem to agree on, is that he has elite court vision, elite passing, and elite understanding of the game-seeing plays 2-3 steps ahead. Having those traits at an elite level at only 19 is special. He may never have the physical tools to finish well at the rim or be an effective penetrator, and he may be an injury risk with his frame...i'll concede those. But I'll insist that he seems to have elite floor general skills and an elite jumpshot at the very least. Those two skills will be his floor, barring injury. Like I said, I may eat big-time crow cause I ain't backing down on this kid.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I think the difference we're having is smaller than you think. I'm not saying he has bad vision. Ginobili and Harden have great vision. Curry is what everyone is hoping from Russell, so you can use that as an example. Curry's vision is great and his development along the PG lines has really grown out of it. The problem is that what opens that vision up is their own ability to get a shot off. My fear in the NBA is that despite having great vision to make a pass, he'll be unable to open things up off the dribble which will limit how much he can do with that great vision. If he can't create for himself, then he's going to have a hard time creating for others.

Rubio also has elite NBA level vision. What Russell showed in college is great, but Rubio is doing the same and better at the next level. Of all the PGs in the league right now I think Rubio's pure passing ability is among the Top 5 in the league. Rubio has almost Steve Nash level vision in getting the ball to his teammates in positions to score. Maybe a better comparison even is Rondo from before his knee injury. Is Russell THAT good? I don't know maybe but that's really expecting a lot from him.

I think Russell's best bet for the pros is as a Ginobili-esque player. That's not an insult at all. Ginobili is cold blooded, has great vision, and has maximized his physical tools for over a dozen years now. What Russell will have to prove to me and the other doubters is that he's going to be strong and quick enough to get open against NBA defenses and either knock down a shot or get fouled. He's got a good first step, but his physical weakness will make it tough once defenses recover. He's got good size, but unless he can show me elite footspeed, smaller guys will be able to guard him effectively.

There's plenty of time to change my mind, but right now I've got other guys ahead of him based really on their physical profiles. He's got fantastic talent and if all breaks perfectly for him he'll be better than Winslow, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, etc. but I don't know if I want to take that chance.

Punk-101 likes this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

8. ElginTheGreat

Okafor won't get past the number two pick unless maybe the 76ers have the 1st or 2nd pick. Even then, they might still grab him. I just don't buy all the talk of him slipping. Sure, some guys may be experimenting with their draft boards, but when its actually time to pull the trigger and make the pick I don't see many teams passing on a guy with his skill level.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  9. ElginTheGreat

Again, you aren't alone in your belief in Russell. He does have elite vision, passing, and understanding of the game. He makes plays that you can't really teach people how to make and that opinion has been echoed by a number of scouts who have evaluated him and spoken on record about his game.

Punk-101 likes this.
  10. Punk-101

Totally fair.

Where I'm more optimistic than you is in two areas:

1. I think he has real potential to be on the Rubio/Rondo level of vision & passing skills...maybe even Nash & Kidd level. He's not there yet, but I see something very special in "the way he seems to see the game" already at only 19.

2 I see him having the handles, intelligence, and craftiness (a la Nash) to make up for a lack of physical athleticism.

I'm not saying he's anything close to Nash, Curry, or Kidd yet. I just see some of their attributes in his bag of tricks that he'll have to continue to hone.

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  11. therealdeal

Which is totally fine. If we end up with him, I won't be upset really. There's a good crop of guys from this draft that can help our franchise right away and he's one of them right now. I just have less faith in him than you do.

Right now for me there's the first tier in Okafor, Mudiay, and Towns who have absolute star potential. Then there's the 2nd tier in Johnson, Winslow, Russell, Cauley-Stein, and maybe Hezonja who can maybe become stars, but should at least be solid starter NBA level contributors. Then there's the rest of guys like Kaminsky, Dekker, Porzingis, Hollis-Jefferson, Turner, etc. that are probably NBA players but even some of these guys could bust rather easily.

I'm really hopeful we end up in the Top 3 and are able to pick from those guys. If not, I'll settle for tier 2 players who have some of that potential as well even if they're a slightly longer shot.

Punk-101 likes this.
  12. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

If Okafor slips to 4-5, and we get him there, we could end up getting Randle and Okafor later in the draft than most people thought they would go, and we steal Clarkson in the second round? I can see a lot of teams scratching their heads in about 3-4 years wondering how the Lakers assembled the best frontcourt in basketball with Clarkson running the show in just two drafts.

13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

There's no way Okafor slips that low. Out of anyone in the draft, he's got the highest floor. At worst, he goes 3rd.

14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, I can't see him slipping past two, actually. lots of jibber jabber heading into the draft, but when the chips are down, teams go for the talented big man. I'm actually going to be surprised if towns goes ahead of him, to be quite honest.

therealdeal likes this.
  15. therealdeal

I could see someone taking the gamble on Mudiay over Okafor or Towns if he blows away some of these workouts... but I'd be shocked if those three aren't the first ones off the board in some order. If Okafor falls to 4 or 5 and we get him there?... Um... Okay thanks! See ya when we collect the ROY trophy and build around the best three players under 25 in the league!

16. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

I don see Okafor slipping that much, but also keep in mind that the amount of misinformation out there is going to go from a trickle to a river soon. Teams will put false info out there to further their own cause, and everyone wants to know what everyone else's draft board looks like.

Just look at what happened to ORL last year at the draft. PHI found out their plan and then made them fork over a first rounder in order to get Elfrid.

So Okafor dropping that low could very well just be teams trying to scare someone in the top 2 from taking him or trying to throw someone off their real big board.

In the end, Okafor and Towns likely go 1-2. Cases can be made for Mudiay and Russell (I actually like Russell a lot in the NBA game) but still, bigs like Towns and Okafor can be tough to find.

17. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

But I didn't say let's draft Upshaw or Johnson & have Davis/Hill/Sacre backing them up. My suggestion was instead of WCS & signing Asik or Koufos, we draft the best Guard or Wing available, grab Upshaw or Johnson later on, & sign Biyombo. Any of WCS/Upshaw/Johnson have long roads ahead of them to become the defender/rebounder that Biyombo already is today, & he's only 22. With a young stud like that, you can afford to use the top 5 pick on a Guard or Wing & gamble on those other C's late 1st/early 2nd.
    He could be behind Clarkson. Either as a pure backup that isn't ready for a big role, or splitting minutes. He could also take the starting job & look like a star right away like Rose, Lillard, & Wall, putting up atleast 16/7 as a rook. These things are kind of unpredictable.

Here's why I go this route instead of WCS/Asik:

- Both Mudiay & Clarkson would be on rookie contracts VS. paying a vet 8-10M per season to come mentor & be an insurance policy like the suggested Asik/WCS situation.
    - If WCS ends up being an immediate impact player, we have Asik making 8-10M to ride the bench & lose any trade value he has. We saw how ugly Houston's attempt at playing Asik at PF next to Dwight was. & with Randle, it doesn't even make sense to attempt Asik at PF.
    - On the other hand, if Mudiay is an immediate impact player, it doesn't kill Jordan's development. JC's more than capable of playing big minutes at both guard spots.
    - Let's accept the painful truth as much as I wish it wasn't true. There are probably going to be plenty of minutes available at SG.The most likely scenario for Kobe is limited minutes & sitting out back to back's to keep him as healthy as possible. Despite this he will still miss some games with minor injuries, & I don't think another season ender would surprise anyone.
    - Drafting WCS over Mudiay leaves us still trying to sign a 5M-MLE level PG. I know many want Mo Williams, but I think they'd first go after Rondo. Between Asik & Rondo or Mo, we're out of the running for those max or near max SF's.
    - Looking beyond next season, Kobe probably retires or even better comes back on the cheap & shocks us all by accepting a 6th man role providing instant offense off the bench. Mudiay & Clarkson could be our starting backcourt for the next decade.
    - I see Biyombo as a better option than Asik right now & a better prospect than WCS. At 22 he's already an elite defender & rebounder. Grantland ran a piece about FA Steals & he was on the list. They said his lack of an offensive game scared teams away & execs think he can be had for a multi year deal starting at 4M. He has a QO of 5.2M. Anywhere from 4-6M I see this as an absolute steal. I think he's worth every bit of 8M but at 4-6, take it & run.
    - A gamble on a guy like Upshaw or Johnson isn't as big of a risk with Biyombo on board.
    - Cheaper starting C, backup prospect via late 1st/early 2nd, & backup PG through lottery pick leaves us with the maximum cap space possible. We can give max offers to Butler/Middleton or a PF like LMA/Love if you're in the Randle at SF crowd. The WCS/Asik/Rondo or Mo route leaves us only able to go after 2nd/3rd tier FA's.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

19. therealdeal

Those are some super friendly stat projections for Towns and Russell. I find it doubtful that Towns scores just as many points as Okafor AND outperforms him on the glass AND blocks more shots... Just seems doubtful. Russell and Mudiay expected to average 10+/5+/5+ right off the bat? Hm. A lot of the second tier guys seem more reasonable assuming they get a lot of regular minutes.

20. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

I really don't know what to think about Towns. I've seen comparisons ranging from AD, Sheed, to Brian Cook. If he's the once in a generation big that many believe he is, it's not farfetched for him to outscore Okafor, & I think it's expected for him to outrebound him & block more shots. The 10+ isn't far fetched for Russell & Mudiay, but the 5+ & 5+ are probably on the high side. I could see the 5+ assists for Mudiay but the rebounds are a reach.