2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Lamar and Metta were examples in which in did work for a time, when all things became in sync. These type of players need to come into a good situation rather be part of the building process I feel. I think when these type of players get into good situations, they put their ego behind them and actually play ball. Unfortunately, it seems that once things stray off the beaten path, they do so easily as well. It's likely they aren't good long term prospects, but essential pieces to teams when given the right situation.

2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I am definitely still on the Russell train. I like his game and his attitude and think (or perhaps pray is the better word) that he and Clarkson would light it up offensively. He and Winslow actually wowed me in their performances throughout the season.

That said, I definitely have an open mind about Mudiay and Hezonja.

At the end of the day, I am hoping this is our last top five pick for the foreseeable future. So, I want us to maximize the pick and get the best guy available, period. I am pretty confident Russell is one of the best guys out there though.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Real, there is a reason why Russell is anticipated by virtually every mock to go before Winslow and way before Johnson and even before Cauly-Stein.

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You know who I like? Someone who you don't; Oubre. I think he has a good NBA future ahead of him...

5. ElginTheGreat

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

As a fellow Jayhawk, I really want him to be good. But man, he just didn't show me anything all year.

7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Bill Self doesn't really do anything for college players in his system; nevertheless, I think he'll be a better NBA player. I'm high on him. I think a place like Miami would be perfect for him...

8. ElginTheGreat

I could see that. I think Spo and being around a guy like D Wade could really help him.

9. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

10. lakerfan2

These highlights do nothing for me.

Okay, so he's long, athletic, and can hit the occasional jumper. Where's the footwork? Where's the skillset? All I see is a guy who finishes in the pick and roll because of his length.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I know everyone else loves him. I also know it sounds like I hate him, but I honestly wouldn't be upset if we got him. I just like Winslow and Johnson's profile for the NBA better. Those guys project as NBA players even if they don't really pan out as top picks. If Russell isn't Curry-lite... I'm not sure what his comparison ends up being. If he's not strong enough physically to handle the NBA... yikes!

abeer3, lakerjones and fabulus like this.
  12. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Yeah, I hear you. I like Winslow's potential and Johnson could be Artest-lite. The thing with Russell is he MIGHT become a bigger version of Curry. For me, it's hard to pass on that kind of potential. But all these kids have a risk factor.

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  13. lakerfan2

Russell doesn't really possess the same speed that Curry does nor does he have the same shot mechanics that allows him to get the shots off that he does.

From what I've seen D'Angelo, he's a smooth operator. Not athletic, but great vision and handles, and a good stroke, buts a slower stroke meant for spot up shots, not off the dribble like Curry does. I see Russell as more a traditional PG with a SG body than the other way around.

Ryanwestlombardi and abeer3 like this.
  14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

thing with those two is that we were veteran, contending teams with Phil as coach -- if there's anyone who can handle problem stars, it's him. LO and Ron Ron were also vets so that greatly helped. I think we're too young with too headstrong of a coach for someone like Hezonja.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Count me in on the anti Oubre team. Not that we'll be picking in that range, but nothing about him passed the eye test for me in the 6-7 games I watched of his. He would be a late first rounder on my board.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I get it and if we get him I'm going to hope he profiles as a Curry-ish/Harden-ish player... I just don't know if I have a ton of faith in that being the case. We're excellent at developing players so we should be able to do it, but I'd rather have some of the other kids that we know for sure have the strength and size to play.

As for cons on these kids: Okafor-> no defense, Towns->needs time/injury concerns in his knees, Johnson-> explosion and offense, Mudiay-> shooting and exposure, Russell-> thin frame, not strong, Cauley-Stein-> see Russell, Winslow-> doesn't do any one thing great, so what will he rely on in the NBA?

TIME likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

18. ElginTheGreat

TIME likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I said this a while back, but if Russell can't play pg, I'm worried. he's just not strong or very explosive. I suppose a best case if he can't play the pg would be a poor man's ginobili. I don't know; I think he's a risky pick. of course, I thought curry was a risky pick for similar reasons (lack of strength, explosion, questions about his ability to play pg at the nba level).

therealdeal likes this.
  20. lakerfan2

I don't think that Russell is necessarily a risky pick, I'm just not quite sure about his ceiling. I think Manu probably the closest I can think of. He'll definitely be an NBA'er, but I can't gauge where he's gonna be.

I just think there are a few guys ahead of him that have higher ceilings than he does.