2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

2. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

If we dont draft Johnson or Winslow,I take RHJ at 27 and hope to get Upshaw at 34. If we miss out on upshaw, so be it. If we draft sf, I take either upshaw or a pg like lucas at 27.

3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't know that RHJ will be there at 27 with the way same some scouts are talking about him.

Punk-101 likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I don't think we'll have a shot at RHJ that late. At 27 I go Luwawu or Lucas for sure, if Upshaw falls to the second round I grab him there. You're going to have the #27 pick for at least 2 years on a guaranteed deal. Instead of guaranteeing money to Upshaw, I need him to earn my trust. I get him early in the 2nd round or I get Dakari Johnson instead.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Also the Russell starting thing:

You're talking about starting Clarkson/Russell/Kobe as our front court? That defense is going to be absolutely and incredibly terrible. I don't care if we've got Bill Russell back there behind Randle, there's going to be a parade to the rim. Not to mention who can be sure Russell's offense will translate to the pros? If he takes time to develop like I suspect he will, then our offense will be spotty AND our defense would be bad.

Russell's best bet is coming off the bench, learning from Kobe, and developing against competition that he should have an advantage against. Harden is a recent example of what Russell should try to be if we end up with him.

Punk-101 likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm still curious about Hezonja.

He does intrigue me a bit. I want to see how workouts go with him if we do land 4-5.

I know the whole Euro thing sounds scary, but Mitch didn't fly all the way to Barcelona for nothing, even though, he did because the Barca coach was being a poor sport and benched him the game where many scouts came to see him play.

It'll be interesting to see how his workouts go.

7. ElginTheGreat

I am not that worried about guys playing with Kobe at this point. Next year is probably his last season and even then I have my doubts about how much he will actually play next season. Just don't know if his body will hold up at this point. Hoping he is able to at least play his last game but I would not pass on a guy in the draft or free agency because of Kobe. If we have to bring Russell off the bench for a bit, then so be it.

8. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Like you mentioned, if we draft Russell he won't start (neither would any other guard in the draft) Clarkson and Kobe will start at the 1 and 2, so we need to sign a starting caliber 3 (ie Middleton)

Our immediate need is a wing, so we need to fill that role through the draft or the offseason, but when Kobe retires we'll need another wing. So I think Russell will be an excellent draft choice for the 2017 season and beyond.

9. lakerfan2

Wings are a dime a dozen. Look at the number of a free agent SF's (restricted and unrestricted) there are next year and available in the draft.

What the Lakers need is an impact big, whether it be offensive or defensive, or even better, the rare two way. Either way, we need someone legitimate on the inside to keep teams honest. Guys like Ed Davis, Tarik Black, Jordan Hill, aren't going to cut it as is. They're decent at what they do, but they aren't game changers. We need a guy who can command double teams on the block, we need a guy who can make players think twice about putting a shot up in the paint and make those easy shots a little tougher around the rim.

Either in the draft of free agency, we need to address the Center situation first. The best result for us is Okafor/Towns and going hard after a stud wing in free agency. After that, it's a toss up between grabbing a young wing like Johnson/Winslow and getting one of Marc Gasol/Jordan/Aldridge or getting Willie Cauley-Stein and maybe going big after Leonard/Butler/Middleton/Carroll.

lakerjones likes this.
  10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Defensive bigs are dime a dozen as well...... if wings are so readily available, how come we had Wesley Johnson starting for us the last couple of years? The fact of the matter is that QUALITY players are scarce, regardless of position.

I do agree that if Okafor/Towns were available, we'd be stupid to pass up on them, but I'm not so sure about your stance of "needing to address the Center situation first" At least we have players that are "decent at what they do" playing the 5. At the SF position we have nothing. NADA. Shouldn't that be our priority? Or do we want Wesley starting for us again?

11. lakerfan2

Right, and those defensive bigs are?

We went after Wesley because of the two things we lacked, $ and draft picks. Money was tied up and we couldn't go after quality wings. We got Nick Young on a great deal for his production. Wesley was young and had the tools, but he doesn't have the mental makeup. We didn't have any draft picks because we either had a late pick or the pick was leveraged for talent needed to be successful.

12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Noah, Gasol, Howard, Davis, Noel, Perkins, Chandler, Horford, Ibaka, Varejao, Splitter, Duncan, Monroe, Bogut, Aldridge, Drummond, Cousins, Asik, Landry, Jordan, Wright, Collison, Garnett, Sanders, Hayes, Gibson ..............etc etc

Pretty much any big that every team has, except for us LOL

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

And I agree with your assessment on Wesley. Still does not change my stance that we need to fill that SF hole asap, as our 1st priority.

14. lakerfan2

I understand the lack of a quality SF, but to what sort of impact are you expecting this player to bring? Offensively/defensively? From a big point of view, you know what holes you are trying to fill, a defensive presence or a interior scorer. Two things we need desperately 1. defense 2. someone who can score at a high FG%.

15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

In terms of defense, I feel we have a greater need for perimeter defense over interior defense. Because, quite frankly, Kobe is now a liability on defense. We need a wing that can cover his own man while helping out on Kobe as well. As for the frontcourt, Black, Davis, and Randle gives us effort and they can become decent defenders. Hence, at least for the upcoming season, I prioritize a defensive wing over a defensive center.

In terms of offense, an interior scorer would be nice, but Randle is known to score inside. Davis/Black can score in P&R situations and they give us hussle on offensive boards and second chance points. We do not have any shooters. Kobe and Clarkson are below average. Hence I prioritize a shooter over a inside presence, to keep the opponent's defense honest.

Of course, it all depends on talent level, but I believe our perimeter situation sucks.

16. ElginTheGreat

Most of us (or at least me) are basing our picks on who would likely be available at the 4 or 5 spot. I think pretty much everyone would draft Towns or Okafor if we have a top two pick. After that, I still feel like you draft the best guy available. Bottom line is that we just had the worst team in our history. I like some of our guys and think guys like Clarkson, Randle, etc have a ton of potential. But, I'm not sure I would go as far to say we have any position absolutely covered at this point.

At the end of the day, we struggled to get to even 20 wins. Kobe is literally on his last leg. We have a questionable coach.

We can use help in a lot of areas.

I really hope the front office doesn't overthink this. There are several guys who can come in and help us rebuild our team. No need to get cute. If we land in the top two, grab Okafor or Towns. If we aren't in the top 2, grab the highest guy on our board that's still there whether its Mudiay, Russell, or Winslow. Address other needs later in the draft and in free agency.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    therealdeal, fabulus and tada like this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah I kind of feel the same way... The only position I wouldn't draft is PF, and fortunately there aren't any top prospects at that position.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  18. escobar8

escobar8 - Rookie -

Teacher
    I can tell you hezonja is one of the kind talent that you dont see very often.
    He has great combination of skills and athletic abilities.
    Plus he has good attitude and he is cocky in good way ala kobe...his coment on lionel messi just shows how good could he become...i dont know where he should go...couse i never saw neither towns,okafor or anybody else...so i cant measure him with other guys from ncaa...but now doubt he has potentional to develope in great nba player...

Barnstable and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

The problem is we need both - we need a starting level SF desperately, and we could really use a C as well. Personally I don't want a combo guard or PG in the draft because I think Clarkson showed us a lot this season and he can do both things. To me bringing in either Mudiay or Russell might result in muddying things up a bit. If we land one or two or one of the teams above us chooses Mudiay or Russell or both and we have a shot at say Towns then I hope we go for that. If we end up at 5 and we're left with WCS or Winslow or Johnson I'm totally cool with that too. Get one position player SF or C in the draft, get the other one in free agency.

Then groom Clarkson for the future at the one, get a decent vet PG to pick up the slack, and sign up Brown or Ellington cheap at the backup 2. Seems pretty simple to me. No to Rondo and Dragic. We don't need the PG spot eating up that much cap when it's not our highest priority.

20. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

A couple months ago, I was on the Russell train. But Clarkson just kept getting better and better. The most impressive part was when he had a bad game, he bounced back with a strong game which is very atypical of rookies. He never hit the wall, and was playing his best ball at the end. Because of his ascension, I do not want to use a pick on Mudiay or Russell. Our gaping holes at sf and c are too big to ignore. So unless of front office sees something in Mudiay or Russell that SCREAMS superstar, I don't think we should call either one on draft night. Neither one seems to be that much better (if at all) than WCS, Winslow or Johnson which are huge positions of need.

There are some that believe that Mudiay is a transcendent talent. The nice thing about Clarkson is he can move to sg and be our 2 of the future. So if our front office believes Mudiay can be John Wall or Westbrook, I am OK. but the way things stack up right now, I take Winslow or WCS...unless of course Okafor or Towns is available.

lakerjones likes this.