2015 Nba Draft Discussion: Russell, Nance Jr., Brown

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

no one else bothered by Russell never finishing strong with a dunk? seems like a red flag to me. I hear manu comparisons, but when he was young and got a step, he slammed. I also haven't witnessed, first-hand, his amazing court vision. though I do trust fran fraschilla on that.

I like his ballhandling and shooting stroke, and his height if he's going to play point. so maybe all that offsets my concerns. BUT if he projects as a sg, I wouldn't draft him high. in that case, I'd be leaning towards a WCS type in the 4/5 range.

now that we're talking about it, mudiay scares me, too, for opposite reasons: seems like he can't shoot it all.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm very bothered by Russell's lack of explosion AND lack of physicality. The Ginobili comparison is about how he uses his shiftiness to get to the rim. In order to finish he'll have to develop a floater most likely. He's definitely going to be a passing SG at the next level. Not saying he'll be Harden, but in the same vein a guy who can shoot/score but also with the ability to pass the ball.

Mudiay's shot doesn't scare me that much. It's not broken and he'll be able to work on it at the next level. He just needs to find the right spot. Everything I've read says this kid has good, strong character. He'll be alright.

At 4/5 you grab the best talent available though regardless of position. To me that's likely to be Johnson, Winslow, maybe Hezonja, Russell, and Cauley-Stein. If we pick from that litter, we'll end up with a good player.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

see, if that's the case, I don't see even poor man's roy/ginobili, I see rich man's CDR. harden and roy were/are so much more physical than Russell. and ginobili was more athletic.

I don't know, Russell's starting to give me that same feeling i had about vonleh last year. and i may still be wrong about that, but i was hoping the lakers didn't take him, and I'm sort of hoping they don't take Russell. again, in fairness, i haven't seen a whole lot of him (the only full game i managed to catch was the zona game, which probably factors in here).

if all I had to go by was highlight reels, I'd be going nuts about hezonja. on film, there's nothing he can't do offensively; looks like a more athletic klay Thompson. but reading some of the questions about his character/drive was a bit scary.

mudiay, winslow, and Johnson all have nba bodies right now, and i believe all have good reps in terms of on and off court demeanor. all have question marks that might be barriers to stardom (primarily shooting for all three), but i don't see any of the three just completely busting.

WCS just looks like a chandler clone to me, which i think is actually awesome in the modern nba. so few post up threats to kill slightly light centers, as long as you can hold position on the boards and defend the pick and roll, you're good. offensively, just find spaces, catch and finish--if you can do it over the top, all the better. so i also don't see him busting.

JSM likes this.
  4. therealdeal

I don't know what Cauley-Stein is for absolutely certainty because of how light he is. Chandler is stronger than Cauley-Stein, but Willie is more athletic I think. Not just in terms of leaping, but speed and moving side-to-side.

Re: Russell- I've never been 100% convinced man. He's clearly got some talent, but I'm not sure if it'll translate. Same issues I see with Frank Kaminsky. I think at worst though Russell will be a bench scorer type. I suspect he'll be something like Kevin Martin when he finds a role in the NBA. That's not terrible.

5. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

At this point I've posted enough about Russell. I haven't seen him ranked lower than 6 on any draft breakdown I have seen and with good reason. He is one of the best passers to come through the draft in a while, a great shooter, leader, etc etc. Absent some injury he will be a top five pick and I'd be fine if he ended up a Laker. He and Clarkson would be a great back court for years to come.

TIME, LaVarBallsDad and Punk-101 like this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Russell, my man crush; love his game. Disse
    Concurred. Russell is going to be a star at the NBA level. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit it. He's got the 'it.' He'll make any teams that drafts him very happy.

ElginTheGreat and TIME like this.
  7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

FYI, Chandler was 225lb coming into the league, and now he is listed at 240lb, the same weight as present-day WCS. But Chandler has broader shoulders, so I agree that he is probably stronger. I'm sure WCS will hit the weight room and end up both heavier and stronger than Chandler in a couple of years though...

As for Russell, you probably know how I feel. Aside from his shooting, passing and craftiness, he just has 'it.' He's got an unique feel and distinct rhythm to his game that throws an opponent off balance. Mudiay looks like a great pick too, but honestly I want a center or small forward before either of these PG's.

8. therealdeal

It's the frame, just like you pointed out. Cauley-Stein's frame isn't huge and while he may put on some muscle, his slimmer shoulders are just not built for long-term wear and tear. I know Chandler has been around a while, but he's also hurt a lot. Chandler is definitely the best comparison for Cauley-Stein, but it'll take him a minute to get to Tyson's effectiveness AND I'm not sure he has Tyson's heart either. For his limitations, Tyson Chandler is a strong hearted player.

I like Mudiay a lot. I think Russell is interesting, but I'm just not convinced and I'm unlikely to be convinced unless he blows me away in workouts. I agree though, our most pressing needs are at the 3 and the 5. We don't need another guard (although I'll certainly take one if that's where we end up in the draft).

tada likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

again, IF russell can really play pg, then i get it. if not, i stay away. if i'm working him out, i'd have him handle against nba pressure and defend against nba quickness in the pick and roll as often as possible.

tada likes this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

During last years workouts, I remembered they last PG's going up against each other when they came to workout. Obviously, they had shooting, testing vertical, but I don't remember them testing to see if Point Guards run the pick in roll. Then again, I'm not privy to what they do inside those workouts other than what is being reported through the internet and media.

That said, Clarkson didn't have the ability to run the pick in roll at Missouri that he has now. He fine tuned that practicing with Nash throughout workouts, in practices, and applied that in games. He wasn't even necessarily a 'point' guard.' Mitch called him a 'ball-handling guard,' but Clarkson is more of a combo guard, and that's what I think Russell will be; the unique thing is he has more pure point guard instincts than Clarkson and I can see that just by having watched Clarkson all season. He navigates the pick in roll just as well if not better than Clarkson right now. I agree, though; work him out in specific scenarios. Same goes for every other player, too.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  11. therealdeal

-Okafor I want in a 5-on-5 drill where he's captaining a defense. See if he can make adjustments or where his defensive awareness level is.
    -Towns... honestly I just want him in the weight room working out. I'd run normal drills for him but I'd offer him lifting advise just because I don't want him to get hurt. I'd probably call in Kareem and see what Kareem thinks of him.
    -Russell- I'd run a drill with him Winslow, Mudiay, and Johnson and just throw those guys at him over and over and see if he can create. Then when they're done, I'd throw a real NBA defender at him like Ronnie Price. If he can't score on Ronnie Price he's going to have some trouble for a few years at least.
    -Mudiay- I'd have him in a shooting competition with Clarkson or something. See who can rack up the most shots from outside. I want to know how competitive he is and see the mechanics on his shot.
    -Johnson- Almost the same as Mudiay, but I know how competitive he is. I'd give him the same kind of private workout we gave Randle. Sick one of our old timers on him and see how he reacts to a little competition and fire.
    - Winslow- See Johnson.
    -Cauley-Stein- See Johnson again. I've heard this guy isn't a competitor all the time. I'd put him up against Mad Dog and one of the other rookies, probably Okafor. See who shows more fire.
    -Hezonja- I'd challenge this kid a lot. Honestly I'd try to find someone to get under his skin a little and see how he reacts. If he gives us problems, I'm not drafting him. If he responds with fire, maybe I give him a shot. I'd have Kobe there to judge his fire/drive.

Battle Tested20, tada and Punk-101 like this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Pretty much.

But if we break our team down by ability (not position) our most pressing need on the offensive end is perimeter shooting. It's rarely mentioned, but our 3-point shooting really sucks, especially from our projected starters. Clarkson/Kobe are below average, and none (except Kelly) of our bigs can spread the floor.

That's one of the reasons why I like Russell, with how our team is currently constructed.

13. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

You're hired.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. therealdeal

That's a good point. I think Clarkson will do well with just a bit more repetition and practice. He's being asked to do sooo much, next season he'll be able to just focus on some things and one of those will be spacing the floor. Honestly, same with Kobe. We'll probably ask him to do less than he's ever done and one of those things will be spot-up shooting at times. We've seen Randle working on his jumper... Winslow would be a decent fit with his outside shot.

tada likes this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

Actually, I don't think we had bad shooters has much as 3-point shooting was just de-emphasized in an antiquated offense that heavily relied on mid-range jumpers. So, we had an offense that designed pin-downs around mid-range jumpers has well as an offense that didn't create much movement and we didn't get a lot of clean looks at the basket. It's more about changing the scheme than anything else, IMO.

16. ElginTheGreat

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I like Winslow for that reason too, but Johnson's perimeter defense is intriguing as well. Those two are a toss-up.

I'm talking 2016 and beyond.

Two of our starters are Clarkson and Randle. Both are great at taking it to the basket. I'm a firm believer that players should stick to their strengths while broadening their game. Alot of times, players develop so many different skills that they lose sight of what makes them most efficient. I want them attacking the basket. If we can get a couple of great/elite shooters in our starting lineup to keep the defense honest, our offense can transform into something really special, IMO.

18. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Mudiay - based on what I read and seen he's nba ready as far as size and athleticism goes. He's also an above average defender. The only reason why he went to China was to help his family financially, so you could tell he has a good character already. His shooting mechanics is much better than john wall when he came to the league so he'll be fine.

tada likes this.
  19. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

20. ElginTheGreat