2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Assists: 4.8
    Rebounds: 3.5
    FG: 49.0 %
    Games Played: 62
    Minutes: 31.2

Those were D-Wade's numbers last year; if Kobe could give us that next year, on that team you made up or something near it, we're in the PO's.

ElginTheGreat and therealdeal like this.
  2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we're on the same page (and were last year--"luckily?" injuries and the fortunate ping pong balls made the total punt of an offseason a success), but chandler's not coming for 8 million. dallas will pay offer him more than that at an extra year, for sure. if chandler's a target, start talking 12 per minimum, imo. this means the wing probably won't be carroll, but could be afflalo or maybe wes Matthews.

but anyway, I think I want the same basic thing: get two guys on multi-year deals who could figure into the rebuild, making the lakers more competitive this year and keeping some of the pressure off the young players to carry all the weight.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Agreed. Chandler's may even get higher than $12 per million. It's definitely possible.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I am very skeptical he gets more than 27 million guaranteed out of Dallas. From what I've heard Dallas really wants DeAndre Jordan or LaMarcus Aldridge. To get him they're going to have to let Chandler walk.

Chandler is 32 years old and he's missed 10 or more games 5 times in the last 8 years. He's an older injury risk.

Unless Dallas strikes out on the big names, I think Chandler is leaving and even then I think if someone offered Chandler a long-term deal he'd take it. I think you could get Chandler for 4/32 million if he was the first name you called. Maybe as much as 4/40 for him, but certainly in that range is what I'd pay for him.

Otherwise I'd just go for Asik who will come much cheaper.

gcclaker likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

I don't even think asik will come that cheap--he made that before, and Houston had no problem trading him at that price.

and dallas wants Jordan and Aldridge, but I think their best route to Jordan is via s&t using chandler. it would behoove them to talk to chandler early and let him know they'll pay him if he waits to make his choice. then it would take a big offer to force his hand, a la chandler parsons last year.

but hey, if that happened (4/32 for TC), I'd be thrilled. great pickup at that price, even given age and injury history. he was really important for dallas last year, hence the above...

6. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

does anything else think it will even be less likely to get the restricted free agents (middleton, leonard, harris, etc) now since every team is more willing to spend now?

therealdeal and TIME like this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yes. quite. could lead to some of them taking QOs and being unrestricted next year.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I like Chandler and all, but I really don't think our front office would be interested in him at all if we take Towns or Okafor, especially Okafor who may be ready to start on Day one. I think the front office will go all out on Love, and if we miss out, we'll sign Danny Green or Carroll. From all the "smoke" coming out of Lakerdom, that seems to be the logical deduction. (Just my opinion of course) I'm not saying I like this, but it seems likely.

I'd love it if we were able to unload Swaggy somehow and get both Chandler and Carroll, but It just seems unlikely.

9. therealdeal

You know it's strange when the season ended I was seeing articles that put Asik and Chandler at a max of 10 million and now I can't find those.

I'm not sure why they should get much more than 10 million per year. I've seen now articles that estimate Asik at somewhere around 4/45 million so that his 4th year ends at 12 million dollars (he'd be 32 years old).

I just don't see it. Even with the cap going up, we're looking at two aging Centers. If there's no cap increase how much would you be willing to give to Chandler? Oh well. I'll come down off my cloud.

If we strike out on the major players, then I'll go back to my oldie hope:

1. Carroll
    2. Davis
    3. Mo Williams

Gives us depth and veterans still, just not as good as the ones I wanted.

Ryanwestlombardi and lakerjones like this.
  10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Those are actually my first choice guys for the most part. Well, I'd prefer Butler but doubtful Chi Town won't match.

11. therealdeal

Yeah I'm assuming we have no shot at Gasol, Aldridge, Jordan, Dragic, Butler, or Leonard. Harris is a possibility, I think Middleton is up in the air but probably matched, and after those guys Carroll is my first choice. No he's not a superstar, but he's a great fit for us and our needs.

Love and Rondo are the wild cards.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I know most of these guys want to lock up money, but I wonder how many of these guys pull a Lebron type deal doing a 1+Player Option deal in expectations of getting a bigger max contract in 2016?

RFA have no choice, and guys who may be injury prone or are injured may want to take the insurance of a long term deal, but I wouldn't put it out of the question.

13. therealdeal

If I'm Monroe or Jordan or Dragic, then I seriously consider waiting. Guys who are in their mid-20s and are UFAs, I'd definitely consider it. Maybe even Aldridge and Gasol should consider it.

But if I'm Love, I take the money now. His agent would be stupid to do otherwise. He's got a clear injury history and if he takes that chance and blows out his knee, he loses tens of millions of dollars. It's not worth it.

14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Middleton came up in the following chat wrap. This falls in line with pretty much every article I have read on Middleton.

NBA Rumors Chat With Steve Kyler 6/2/15
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-6215/

1. Alex
      Do the Bucks intend to keep Middleton ? They have Po parker Dudley ilyasova Mayo and Henson it seems like their 2-4 positions are pretty crammed. Seems like they should go after a center . If the Bucks don’t keep Middleton where can you see him ending up?

• Steve Kyler
        Yes, was told emphatically no scenario in which Middleton isn’t back with the Bucks. So not sure the next part matters. As for the Center, they are looking at that in Draft.

As for who they have. Having good players is a good thing – see the Warriors – what you have to do is find the right combination of starters to make it work and get guys on the bench to sacrifice little.

Andre Iguodala is a starter anywhere else in the NBA. Who you have is only important if they won’t accept roles.

LTLakerFan and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Asik or Chandler would be viable options IF we end up with Towns IMHO. Otherwise with Okafor? No. I am intrigued by a 3-4-5 combo of Randle, Towns and Chandler. Speed, length and mobility even if Chandler is old yet not decrepit damaged goods. I would think that the youth of Randle and Towns will make Chandler spend less energy on the defensive end plus he brings that playoff experience. I guess the big question is can Randle stick at the SF spot? Tried that experiment before with Odom...

16. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Youre evaluating them by last year. Im evaluating them by their entire career. They are always hurt. Thats not gonna change.
    Rondo was a cancer before the mavs. He played terrible BEFORE the trade. Youre falling in love with big names not the best talent.

17. therealdeal

If we draft Towns, to me it's essential to bring in a veteran Center. Specifically I think it's a must to bring in Chandler. Chandler is a guy who wants to win above all else, he's from LA, and he'd make the perfect mentor to Towns in terms of professionalism and approach. Chandler allows us to bring Towns along slowly and ease his transition.

If it's me and we draft Towns I call Chandler first. Then after that I call maybe Carroll or Mo Williams.

18. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Lmao. And how is it they're big names then and every analyst consider them stars if they weren't talented?

19. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

That would be the right play, I just don't see Chandler in our future. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's Love...then Carroll or Green when we strike out with Rondo being signed to a one year deal for whatever money we have.

I mean, have there been ANY whispers throughout the league of Chandler and the Lakers? All I hear is Dallas or a sign and trade with the Clips that nets the Mavs DeAndre.

therealdeal likes this.
  20. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Okafor and Biyombo and Upshaw. We're set for relatively cheap. Bigger $ to mid level wing. That's what I'm hoping for. Explained the idea pages back and haven't heard anything to move me.

LakersN4 and LTLakerFan like this.