2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind that plan at all. In fact, I'd prefer this to the "Sign Love" idea by a country mile. I admit I am not familiar with Biyombo at all. Not sure if him being younger than Davis is necessarily a good thing. The team you created is so ridiculously young, they need someone who is maybe old enough to rent a car for goodness sake. :rofl:

And if we are moving up, Anderson is a better prospect than RHJ (my opinion of course). RHJ can't shoot...at all. Anderson isn't quite the athletic freak RHJ is, but he is still an athletic beast and he shot 46% from downtown last season. And from what I've read, he's a solid character guy as well.

As for Young being traded, I just don't see it. I agree Detroit seems like a nice destination in theory, but I think his stock is really low right now. But if we could unload him, and use the money he frees up to snag Monta Ellis, sign me up. That team would make a run at the playoffs next year for sure. Even if Kobe went down, Clarkson might very well be better than Kobe at this point in their careers. I'm hoping Kobe's abysmal shooting last season was a result of that rotator cuff. If it wasn't, Clarkson is honestly the better player at this point. That's not a knock on Kobe or delusions of grandeur with Clarkson. It's just the way it is. Kobe was flat out bad in his limited time. It was really uncomfortable watching him play at times. Like watching Michael Scott in "The Office" do something horrible that makes you want to cover your eyes.

LakersN4 likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think this one is definitely going to happen.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yup. I do too.

4. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

In the possibility Love is coming... how much money is left to spend?
    Randle at SF seems to me like a horrible idea. especially defensively. I think that any signing that is not a SF is a hugh mistake by the FO. well maybe besides Gasol.

5. Savory Griddles

I'm hoping Love wants to go to NY. NY was rumored to be Tobias Harris' top choice. If Love goes there, Melo and Love are their frontline. We then can swoop in and get Harris. I love Middleton, but Harris is more realistic, and to be honest, may fit better next to Randle. They are both 3/4s who could make a very dynamic, interchangeable forward tandem to buzz around the perimeter while Okafor works inside. Clarkson whipping passes in there, but also creating off the dribble.

Lakersn4 had the idea of somehow unloading Young so we can sign Monta to go with this team. Clarkson then becomes a great 6th man until Kobe gets hurt. If Kobe comes back at even what Pierce did this season for the Wiz, Monta and Harris with Okafor and Randle...Clarkson and Black as our two bench stars. That team probably makes the playoffs and scares people.

6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Strictly with Love and the Lakers from a salary standpoint...

At that point, Love could decide between several options, including (based on the latest salary-cap projections):
    • Signing a five-year contract with the Cavaliers worth about $109.4 million
    • Signing a two-year contract with a player option with the Cavaliers worth about $39.5 million
    • Signing a four-year contract elsewhere worth about $81.2 million
    • Signing a two-year contract with a player option elsewhere worth about $38.9 million

7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I don't like the idea of pushing Randle to SF to make room for Love. But I do love the idea of going after Gasol to make up for some of the defensive deficiencies of our young big men. Add Mo Williams and Danny Green, and I think we have a legitimate contender.

Clarkson / Williams
    Bryant / Ellington
    Green / Young
    Okafor / Randle
    Gasol / Black

We could organize our front court rotation the same way we did with Bynum (Marc), Pau (Okafor), and LO (Randle).

XXIV and ShowTime_IR like this.
  8. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

I like Randle as our first big off the bench if we bring Love in. No to Randle at SF.

9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Love wants to be where his gf is. I'm sure if the FO wants him, he'll be in LA

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I don't thin, we are too concerned with the PF spot out of all of our needs as a team.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    at least we should be.

12. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Signing a two year deal with the next year blowing up is a dangerous move for a dude like Carroll who is already 28 and has had only one great season so far. Still though wouldn't a two year deal in a big market be better for trying to get a max contract than staying in Atlanta?

14. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

This is a very deep & varied Free Agency class.. I think the Lakers chances of acquiring an All Star caliber player or getting 2-3 solid role players is high..
    Really hard to say what my preference is right now, but these are all guys I'd be glad to have on the roster...

A -LIST
    Marc Gasol
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Kevin Love
    Jimmy Butler
    Goran Dragic
    Draymond Green

ROLE PLAYERS
    Monta Ellis
    Khris Middleton
    Jeff Green
    Tobias Harris
    Wesley Matthews? (injury tbd)
    Danny Green
    Eric Gordon
    DeMarre Carroll
    Corey Brewer
    Rodney Stuckey
    Austin Rivers

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2015.htm

15. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don't want Love. Get us a starting level SF, a good backup vet PG, keep Ed Davis with a budget friendly contract, and maybe sign Ellington and Jabari cheap.

That makes:

Clarkson/Mo Williams type
    Kobe/Ellington/Brown
    Starting level SF/Swaggy P
    Randle/Davis/Kelly
    Okafor/Black

Fill in the other couple/few spots with our picks and/or some vets. Go to war. That's a nice core.

therealdeal, shoe, Barnstable and 4 others like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Was thinking of signing implications today regarding the bigs and this is just my educated guess based on the player + what we've heard so far...
    -Marc stays
    -LA goes to Texas
    -DJ? Dallas or stays would be my guess.
    -Monroe is all NY can get

For Love to stay away from LA, SA needs to strike out on Aldridge. Love fits their system. Can't see them make a play for DJ or Monroe, Pop would run for the hills. If Millsap leaves ATL, I could see them push for Love as well. He would solve their dire need for a rebounder even though he doesn't solve their need for a 7 footer. But since he fits SA's system, he'll also fit into Bud's system.

If Cuban got creative and hit the jackpot, he could get DJ and LA.

17. Savory Griddles

Jabari is under contract. We don't have to sign him. So much of what we do could be dependent on us finding a taker for Swaggy P. Some on this board think it's possible. I simply don't. I think we're stuck with him. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you. He is talented and could come back from what was an injury riddled season. But LakersN4 had the idea of going after Monta Ellis AND Harris. We can only do that if we can dump Swaggy on someone. I'd be willing to give up the 34th to dump him on someone and I'd be willing to give up the 27th pick (whoever we take) and even Tarik Black if it kept Orlando from matching on an offer to Tobias Harris. A starting 5 of Ellis/Clarkson/Harris/Randle/Okafor (since Kobe will undoubtedly get hurt) might actually make a run at the playoffs next year, and would only get better and better as they got more experience.

I really wish we would have thrown a 5 million a year contract at Isaiah Thomas instead of Swaggy last offseason. He would be soooo perfect right now for this team. Then again, we probably would have gotten 4-5 more wins and lost our pick had IT been on our squad last season.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

I think Love in NY makes some sense. They might be able to fit both Love AND Monroe.

Carmelo Anthony, Cleanthony Early,Hardaway Jr., Jose Calderon, and Langston Galloway puts them at 33.5 million. If they add 2 million for 4 cap holds and 3.5 million for their #4 pick, they are now at 39 million and 10 players on the roster. That leaves them roughly 28 million to split between Monroe and Love. If they both signed contacts that started at 14 million with a player option after next season, they could then sign the bigger extension under the new huge cap number, essentially giving up a couple million for just next season. Not a huge financial sacrifice for these guys. Maybe Monroe gets an extra million to get to the max since he hasn't had a big payday like Love has. NY then uses their Room Exception to fill in one of their spots.

Monroe/Cap Hold
    Love/Room Exception
    Melo/Early
    Hardaway Jr./Mudiay/Galloway
    Calderon/Mudiay/Galloway

In the East, that's good enough to be a top 4 seed. The wheels are falling off Atlanta and they will likely lose at least one of their main guys (Carroll or Milsap). I think the Cavs are playing a bit over their heads right now, and Lebron will be a year older. Who knows what Chicago will look like next season with Thibs maybe being gone. The Wiz and Toronto? That team could make some serious noise in the joke that is the Eastern conference.

19. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Honestly I think NY is the joke of the NBA right now. In an off season where playoff teams have money to spend, I don't see any top tier talent leaving for NY until Phil steps away from twitter and shows people he knows what he's doing. They can get guys from other bottom feeders (Monroe, Harris) but I think they'll have a tough time getting a playoff guy until next summer and that's if this summer works out for them (which isn't off to a good start with the 4th pick)

20. Savory Griddles

I don't know. If they have Monroe committed along with Anthony, the number 4 pick and a solid pg like Calderon...I could see them luring Love. It's a big market, it's in the East and Love would be the second option on that squad, maybe the first. It doesn't matter what happened in the past in NY. Phil has been there for one season. If by season two he comes to Love with that much talent, I think Love definitely considers it.