2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I rather have Mo than Rondo. Hes a bit underrated IMO. That team you just listed looks like a competitive fun team to watch.

lakerjones likes this.
  2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I understand wanting Mo more and on some levels I don't disagree. I think Rondo is still a better player and I think he'd be extremely motivated to perform which would give us some on court production. But I would also love for Mo to be on board here too. Solid veteran, good for developing our young guys, good for the locker room. He'd be a good fit and I think if we offered him a long-term deal at his age we might be able to snag him.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    If we traded Randle we better be getting a lot more back than just WCS + Gary Harris or Stauskas. I understand Randle is unproven, but no way in hell would I take that offer. As of now Randle, Kobe, and Clarkson are untradeable in my eyes.

Punk-101 likes this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not too bad. What I'd think about instead though is not taking WCS and instead picking Hezonja, then pick up Upshaw with the 27th pick or trade the 27th pick and our 34th to get into position to grab him. I just have a feeling that the kid can turn it around and he has top 10 pick talent without question.

This way it gives us Upshaw (who potentially could be as good as WCS) and Hezonja who can play either sg or sf. Winslow (my favorite sf) I don't think can play sg. He just doesn't have enough handles. That way we don't have to rely on BOTH DeRozan AND Durant coming to town. Granted, I'm not in love with DeRozan. Kind of a volume shooter who has a green light due to the Raptors not having a ton of offensive weapons.

I'm really looking at our team through the lens of no Durant...ever. I feel like he may be about as out there as LBJ was this offseason. The Wizards will be able to offer Beal, Wall, and Gortat with Humphries as a solid role player. Depending on what the cap actually ends up at that year, they could even sign Horford if they sign Horford and Durant first by using Beal's low cap hold, then resign Beal. The Wizards are in a position to be a BEAST in a couple seasons.

trodgers likes this.
  6. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Gotcha. I just don't want another Larry Sanders situation with Upshaw; there is clearly some character defects there...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree there are some red flags, but the 27th pick in the draft is typically a career backup. The new CBA basically only guarantees those rookie deals for the first two seasons, so the commitment is tiny. Who are we looking at grabbing in that slot? Likely a backup. We are in a position where we might NEED to take a couple chances here and there. Is not taking Hollis-Jefferson going to come back and bite us? Maybe being surrounded by adults will force Upshaw to grow up. I mean, Upshaw could be WCS at 27 if he grows up. The kid is only 21. A lot of people figure it out after they're 21 in life. I take Upshaw without blinking at 27. Imagine if we took Randle and Winslow as our forwards of the future over the last 2 drafts with are scheduled picks, then STOLE Clarkson and a defensive monster in the paint? Sign Middleton in the offseason.

If everything breaks right, a starting five of Clarkson/Middleton/Winslow/Randle/Upshaw could wreak havoc on the league for a decade.

8. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Yes. 27 is a role player. But in Upshaw we have a chance at a double double who might be one of the most prolific shot blockers ever. I roll the dice in that.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    ...or "on that." I'd just woken up when I posted that :)

Barnstable likes this.
  10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

general note: I don't want any one year deals unless the second year is a team option or we're talking vet mins that we don't plan on keeping.

one-year deals are just bad news; no bird rights of any sort. if the player works out, you're bidding with everyone else instead of holding some advantage.

11. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

12. therealdeal

Dallas moves on from the Chandler era? That'd be an interesting move. He's a very good fit next to Dirk, but he's going to have a hard time coming by any offense.

If DeAndre goes to Dallas, where does that leave Tyson? Tyson is a Cali kid I believe. I wouldn't mind him here at the right price. He's a little older and pretty injury prone, but he brings that hard nosed presence inside and would be a good veteran for a young team.

lakerjones likes this.
  13. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

I think Tyson is a great veteran presence too. I just don't know if he would be willing to come to a team that doesn't have the pieces yet to win a championship. If he's willing to come for the right price though, I would definitely like to have a guy like him.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm guessing tyson still wants money, and he'd take the lakers'. good pickup if they can get him. i'm not sure why dallas would take jordan over chandler, assuming that chandler will be cheaper.

15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

@therealdeal I think he'd be fanatic for Randle's growth and maturation. They're nothing alike, but Chandler is a culture changing vet (he's the anti Rondo). Not that Randle is soft, but Chandler could definitely toughen him up and teach him a few things about D and being a professional.

@abeer3 Jordan would be a big get for Cuban giving him a long term piece when the cap spikes and Dirk probably hangs them up. He, Ellis (if they decide to keep him), Parsons, and a marquee FA makes for a strong team with a decent competing window.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Chandler would be a great veteran presence for what can possibly be a very young team. I would welcome him with open arms but I don't think he'd come here, he'd probably be ring chasing.

17. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

If the price is right, I'd jump on this opportunity. He's a fantastic role player and a good veteran presence for this young Lakers team.

lakerjones likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

chandler's got a ring. if he leaves dallas, i'd think the lakers would be very high on his list. he didn't like the knicks, but he seemed to like the big city, and he's a local guy.

lakerjones likes this.
  19. therealdeal

Parsons needs microfracture surgery on his knee... not good news for the kid.

20. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Not good at all. Never seen a successful case where a BBall player came back strong from micro fracture surgery. Examples: Greg oden and Amare

Edit: just searched for this news, but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link??