2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

It's a bit different. Barnes might blow up, and in that sense, they're comparable. But Cousins also just flat out stops trying. There are numerous examples of him putting absolutely no effort on defense or offense. At times, he gets in the way of teammates, and at other times, he doesn't even bother to get in position on defense. His body language is poor too.

I've heard/read that Cousins did change earlier this year though. He actually stopped his antics and started putting in some effort until the Kings decided to fire Malone for some unknown/bizarre reason. That at least shows me that he can change. He just needs to be in the right situation.

TIME likes this.
  2. LakersIn4

LakersIn4 - Rookie -

Glad to see so many posters are on the Cousins train. I agree 100%. You give up the pick for him without thinking twice. Some of the best prospects in this drafts best case scenarios would be lucky to become what Cousins already is.

As for Carroll, he along with D. Green scare me. They put up similar numbers, but Green has been doing it in a system ran by Pop. Meanwhile Carroll put up numbers this year in a system ran by Pop's assistant for 17 years. Both systems and coaches are great at getting the absolute most out of role players. I'd be afraid to pay either guy and watch them become the next Roger Mason Jr. or Gary Neil. I'd still stick with the plan to throw a big contract at Middleton. He's been solid under multiple coaches/systems and doesn't seem to need any special environment to help his team.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

difference between those two and mason/neal is size and ability to defend at their position, imo. it's true that other offenses won't produce the same looks from 3, but you can at least expect them to be able to defend anywhere.

4. Nick the Quick

Nick the Quick - Rookie -

if the kings say, 'you get one pitch, make us your best offer for Cousins', what would you offer?

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

None of us possess the magic WAND. Best left to Mitch the Magnificent.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Top 5 pick, Pick 27, Pick 34, and any of our bargain bin players they want: Jordan Hill, Nick Young, Ryan Kelly, Jabari Brown, Tarik Black, and Sacre if they want him. They can have all of those players if they want or take their pick of whomever.

That's probably it. I like Cousins a lot, but if that's not enough then oh well. I'd be more than happy with keeping the pick and building with a fresh young kid.

7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

hill and the top 5 pick, after that, we have to negotiate.

a top 5 pick netted ray allen and elton brand in the past. it's hard to argue that cousins is higher profile than they were at the time of those deals.

thkthebest likes this.
  8. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

If the Cavs crap the bed, there might be a serious chance of Love signing here. Can we fit Love's max + Cousins contract this summer? If so, I'd keep the pick and trade Randle (whom I LOOOOOVE), #27, #34 and a young bargain player or 2 for Cousins.

Clarkson
    Kobe
    Winslow
    Love
    Cousins

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Nope.

10. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

^^
    Salaries too big, huh?

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

Yes. Kobe's specifically. Your best bet for something like that happening the following season when Kobe' contract is off he books...

Punk-101 likes this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Randle isn't going anywhere. After all the anticipation, we owe it to ourselves to witness this kid develop as a Laker.

TIME and Battle Tested20 like this.
  13. LaVarBallsDad

You know, the more I think about it, the more I am in favor of trading our pick. Guys who are locked in to long term contracts right now would be extremely valuable to us, for three reasons:

1) They would provide more immediate production than the rookie would, which would lead to more wins.

2) They would give potential FAs someone to play with, rather than just the hope of cap space, and the aforementioned wins would make LA more attractive as well.

3) Most importantly, unless they're currently on mega-max contracts (like Melo), they'd be making 3rd option money, at best, giving the Lakers the ability to max out two guys.

Posted this weeks back...the potential to add Cousins are anybody making 3rd option money (with cap increasing) is quite intriguing. The following season when Kobe is gone you could add 2 max contracts. So for instance, you could potentially add a Conley/Durant to pair with Cousins.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm definitely open to it if we can get Cousins. But it's got to be somebody like that with incredible ability while still being young. There's not a lot that fits that particular bill.

I am definitely loving the idea of using our assets to go after Cousins though. If we could pull it off where we move the pick for Cousins and still have I believe 10 million or so spend this summer... A starting five of Clarkson/Kobe/Carroll/Randle/Cousins... Yes please!

15. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I am not against trading the pick but I think I still lean toward us keeping it and bringing in some free agents . I've said this a few times, I can't shake the feeling we may end up getting Love. Even if we don't, there are guys we can bring in that can improve the team immediately without making any trades.

16. LaVarBallsDad

There's multiple ways this could go. You just laid out another way; I don't think we should be wedded to any type of rebuild, otherwise, I think we'll be disappointed.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

18. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Sounds like the Pistons are offering Monroe the max. It really comes down to whether he wants to stay or go.

19. OmarE

OmarE - Lakers Starter -

Cousins is the player jahlil okafor compares to the most. So let's say we get into the top 3 and somehow land okafor then I wouldn't trade okafor for cousins + immature attitude. No way, also he's so much cheaper on a rookie deal. I say we build in the Draft and sign fa's this year and next year. Patience my brothers....

20. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Keep in mind, even if Love or Cousins wanted to come here, I wouldn't put it past their agents to manufacture a sign/trade scenario that involves us having to give up our top 5 pick so that they can get the full max.