2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

if there was any way to get both, i'd be pretty interested.

maybe sign love outright and then do a double s&t with lin and hill going to dallas for rondo. wait...that's not fully possible due to lin's massive cap hold...anyway something like that?

rondo/clarkson
    kobe/clarkson
    young/draft pick?
    love/randle/kelly
    black/draft pick?

man, that's still not a playoff team...but it's better!

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Eh... I think if Love comes here it's because Westbrook is on his way in 2017. If we get Love, I think we probably skip getting another PG and roll with Clarkson.

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Maybe we pick up a Mo Williams type...maybe even Jameer Nelson on the cheap.

4. therealdeal

Yeah something like that I think would make more sense, but I think we end up letting Clarkson be the guy and spend the rest of our meager offerings elsewhere.

5. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    I get that feeling as well. I'm not sure how a team featuring Westbrook, Clarkson, Randle, Love and Towns/ #1 pick would fare as a playoff team, but at least they would be a playoff team.

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think that would be a pretty good team. Nice mix of vets and young guys. Certainly end the days of getting blown out by the Clippers.

7. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That team would be awesome, after having one year to gel. You'd have to make Randle a bulky SF, ala Bron... but it would probably work, since he has really good handles for a player his size.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

If we don't land a Center with this pick and/or we lost the pick, I'm all for paying Davis and have him start for us next year. I think he stays for the following reasons if he A.) gets paid B.) he's already expressed a desire to be here long-term C.) He likes playing for Scott. He's been productive, and I have come to admire his competitive drive in this miserable season he's had to endure.

Also, I'm more inclined to go after Love. Give him a max-deal, and you get a name, you add another asset, and Randle gets to ease into his PF role that he'll play next year or even play SF for certain stretches during parts of the game. I'd also start Clarkson next year next to Kobe, and I'd draft Johnson if number 5 is where we land which is higher probability of than landing in the top 4 given where we're currently positioned in our pre-lottery standings: So, next year looks something like this:

2015-2016
    Clarkson/Lin
    Kobe/Ellington
    Johnson/Young
    Love/Randle
    Davis/Black

The following year: Kobe comes off the books you add 1 more max spot

2016-2017
    Conley/Lin
    Clarkson/Ellington
    Johnson/Young
    Love/Randle
    Davis/Black

Projecting, but I'm bored. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. therealdeal

Just wondering but why do you spell Randle right in some spots, but then spell it "Randall" in others?

10. Savory Griddles

I really hope that isn't our team. First off, Randle would be our sf if we signed Love, or we would trade him for another piece if he couldn't cut it there. I honestly think we draft WCS if we keep the pick and land at #5. I could actually see us taking him at #4. Athletic 7 footers that thrive defensively? I think the FO goes in that direction before it takes Johnson. The appeal of possibly having your front court set for a decade is undeniable.

To be honest, if we draft Johnson and still sign Love, we kinda dumb. Johnson I don't think can play sg. He's just too big to stay with some of the smaller dudes. Randle may have problems at the 3 for the same reason.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  11. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That's a different guy. He's hoping we'll draft Randall this year. :p

12. LaVarBallsDad

I don't know why I did that; probably typing in a rush. I didn't even notice until you told me...thanks.

therealdeal likes this.
  13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah, I could see us going after WCS at a later pick (4/5) as well.

And then we go after Love and a PG in free agency and play Randle at SF, which I think he can do just fine. Or at least, there will be an advantage in his favor offensively with his size.

I like

Mo Williams/Clarkson
    Kobe/Ellington
    Randle/Young
    Love/Black/Kelly
    Davis/WCS/Sacre

I wouldn't be too disappointed in a lineup like that to start.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  14. Savory Griddles

Yeah. That wouldn't be too bad. I don't think it makes the playoffs, but at least it'd be fun to watch.

15. therealdeal

I wasn't trying to be a jackrabbit or anything just genuinely curious. :hi:

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  16. LaVarBallsDad

Why would Randle be our SF? He was coming off the bench last year and Boozer got the nod in training camp to start over Randle. Randle still needs to prove himself and next year he's still a rookie. The beauty of adding a Love is if Randle outperforms his contract for the next couple of years, you have two options. You could trade Love and or Randle for a piece that will get you over the top with a transcendent talent.

For example, what if Presti called Mitch in 2016 and said Westbrook is on the market? We'd have a couple of trade assets in Randle, Love, Clarkson, potential top 5 pick (if not traded) and now you're at least coming from a position where you could make a deal like that happen. We had two All-Star starting caliber guards in the 90's. Eddie and Kobe. Ultimately, Eddie was traded. You collect assets and once you collect enough you build your roster out piece by piece.

As for WCS; I love his game. I wouldn't be made if we drafted him, but Gobert and DJ were both drafted at number 27? It's entirely possible that my projected lineup could be amended if we can a raw Center late in the first/second round that we could develop. So, you cut Sacre, keep Black, and find a Center such as a Dakari Johnson from Kentucky that you develop and slowly move into the rotation. Why would Johnson play the 2? He's a 3 and he spaces the floor quite well.

So, maybe amended it looks something like this

2015-2016
    Clarkson/Lin
    Kobe/Ellington
    Johnson/Young
    Love/Randle/Kelly
    Davis/Johnson/Black

Now, you have a roster that could compete next year, and pieces to move in a larger deal down the line in case a superstar becomes available.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

I didn't take it has that at all, man. No worries.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. Savory Griddles

The Eddie Jones example isn't quite the same. We had a 50 win team that season before we drafted Kobe, and we were going after Shaq. We are a 20 win team and need to be playing all our best talent. Randle was going to be starting by the end of the year had he not gotten hurt. Eddie was an All-Star, Boozer was a placeholder until Randle was ready.

If we sign Love, Randle will be the sf or be traded, imo. We just don't have enough NBA players on our roster to be stacking positions.

19. LaVarBallsDad

How do we know Randle will be traded? What if he's outperforming Love? You think the FO is incompetent enough to get rid of Randle when they clearly see a better player? I sure don't. With Eddie, he was an All-Star on a 50 win team, right. However, that didn't stop Jerry from drafting Kobe; he scouted him and went with best player available in the draft then we traded Eddie. If Love is the best player on the market, and he wants to come here, I'd take him. I'll figure out the rest later...

20. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I don't think it's out of the question that Randle plays small forward. He IS only 6'8 with a short wingspan.

He's got a good jumper and can handle the ball. Offensively, he'll probably out muscle everyone in the league. Defensively, he has the footspeed to keep up and the body to body up, and after that, you hope to have your anchor back there.

therealdeal likes this.