2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Thanks, Rock. We'll swing for a trade with Lee. Probably re-sign Davis. Get a swingman...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  2. TheGreatOneKobe

TheGreatOneKobe - Rookie -

I just wanna say that I don't see a lot of good players from small markets in national advertising.

Something to be said about big markets and their overwhelming fan base vs. small markets.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

this trade that agitated me a few days ago makes me smile today

4. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

Yea that sucks

I wish these guys looked up to kobe and jordan but they're more like lebum

They wanna follow in his footsteps and team up instead of aiming to be the best

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i wanted david lee as a safety option when i thought we were drafting okafor. now i think you have to be looking at a center, unless you want to win 20 games again and then give the sixers the 4th pick in the draft.

6. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    This is the reaping of what was sewed over the last decade. We had no value for picks and maintained the team through this type of moves. The spectacular end to that was the flailing Howard and Nash trades. That fly out summer is going to haunt this team for the next 5 years.

Having Max slots is nothing without a team that can benefit from them. Leadership is to blame for getting us here. I'm not sure any leadership changes could sell what we have to sell however now.

I hope these young guys impress next year. If they are not impressive next year we will be trading our cap space for more rentals just to fill a roster.

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

There's plenty to say about it. Monroe isn't a big name, he's not an endorsement guy in small market, he's not going to double his revenue easily in Milwaukee the way he would with the Lakers.

There's something to be said about being the face of the Lakers that for whatever reason isn't hitting home with FAs. That's a sales problem and that's on the FO.

That's my only point right now. We're a bad sales force with a good product.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

A Salesman? A good salesman can maybe sell a less desirable product to moron. But these players, even if they are morons, have agents who are very sharp. You are looking at us through purple color glasses, man. You love the Lakers. Other people do not give a flying you know what. The problem isn't just our inability to "sell." It's all the stuff that crippled us over the last 2-3 years like a revolving door at coach, signing Kobe to what is looking like the worst, most handicapping contract in this team's history. Who knows if our guys can "sell" or not. You can't sell inferior products to smart people.

Jordan grew up in Texas and is best buds with Parsons. That's the appeal of Dallas.

9. TheGreatOneKobe

That's just the new generation of players. No trash talking, no ultra competitive personalities, no "I don't care if you don't like me, I'm here to win and take names"

Sad days

jerryr88 likes this.
  10. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

This David Lee thing is probably going to happen...unless Phil swoops in and gets him.

GSW will unload him basically for nothing so they can sign Draymond

11. TheGreatOneKobe

Totally agree. But I still stand that these players are p****** that don't want the responsibility of being a Laker great

jerryr88 likes this.
  12. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

13. bonk

bonk - Rookie -

Quantitative Analyst
    That's a product. How many large market players on losing teams are in national advertising? People don't buy endorsed stuff from unattractive producers and losing is unattractive.

The Lakers brand isn't going to bring anyone here without a good product that has a future.

Again, do we want a player who's coming here for the "brand" anyway? At Max $$ I'd say no.

14. TheGreatOneKobe

We'll take it!!

Lakers Free Agency grade A+ ;)

jerryr88 likes this.
  15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The fact that GSW is going to give him away with some future crappy pick tells me everything I need to know about the move......

GARBAGE. I'd rather see Hill/Davis back for 15 million than some 1 year rental that leaves us in the same position as we are this year......

Laughing stock of the league.

16. The Rock

Its the direction of the whole team. Their resume looks impressive but what they did in the past does not matter today. They have not made moves or doing things in a manner that significantly improves the team for the near future....everyone on the team is collectively responsible for this...Mitch, Jim, Jeanie, Kobe, Byron.

I don't like Kobe going into meetings. His job is to play basketball. Kobe's pitches sound like he's telling the guys to play for him instead of the other way around.

17. therealdeal

I don't blame them, I blame the FO for not being congnizant of the situation and for not building a better team to attract FAs. They're relying on someone being "man enough" to take up the mantle, but how many guys like that are floating around FA? How many guys want to be Lakers that desperately? Probably none. Guys who are real, fiery winners are usually winning already and don't make it to FA. Guys who are real winners are almost never just out there waiting to go to Los Angeles to be a legacy player.

jerryr88 and Kenzo like this.
  18. therealdeal

Nah, that's the Kings. Ellis just turned down MORE money to play elsewhere. We haven't gotten that one yet.

19. The Rock

Yesterday and today is basically rock bottom for this franchise. We gotta start the turn around now, if it means signing Davis/Hill or bringing in David Lee then so be it. Inactivity and sitting around twiddling their thumbs *hoping* for a break to fall into their laps is not going to work. They have to be proactive. They have to.

20. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

if we sign Lee, can we package him with someone else and try to pry cousins in a trade?