2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

On CL weren't you known as the voice of reason? If so, that is a very appropriate moniker. This is an excellent post.

It is not surprising to me that we aren't able to land any of these FAs and frankly there are many I wouldn't want because of poor fit, attitude, etc. If we don't get anyone this offseason that is noteworthy I'm fine with that. I actually think the FO is doing a great job. Don't spend the money on something you don't really want just because you have the money. I tell my kids that all of the time.

These Lakers kids are going to turn some heads and we will find FAs that want to play for the Lakers. At this point, there is no indication the Lakers wouldn't suck again his year. What FA wants to come here to lose? I wouldn't no matter the franchise's allure. Stay the course Mitch.

Lakerman JSJ, gill and J9 like this.
  2. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

david lee is intriguing good mentor for randle but who do we trade ? we have no assets

im not about to trade one of our young guys for him

as for roy hibbert :envy:

3. gill

gill - Rookie -

We'll be providing cap relief for those teams. Total salary dump for Indy and GS right into our cap room... especially Indy if they're still rumored to be going after Monta hard.

Now that I think about it... that wouldn't be a bad haul at all. Like others said, those two are on expiring K's. Better than giving one year deals again to Hill, Davis and / or Boozer.

4. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

got it that makes sense i was under the impression that we'd have to send players back but i guess in this case a trade exception would work

but its still a no on hibbert, id rather pay davis or biyombo

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Russell (4.2) / Clarkson (845k)
    Ellis (12) / Dorell Wright (Room) / Brown (845k)
    Kobe (25) / Young (5.2) / Brown (500k)
    Randle (3.1) / Kelly (1.7) / Nance (1)
    RoLo (11) / Black (845k) / Sacre (1)

Drop Sacre before the season for Upshaw
    Try and dump Kelly and bring in vet backup PF

Screw it. That's probably the best we can do, but here we sit waiting to be told no.

6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Hibbert would be nice because we could go into 2016 with A LOT of cash. If Randle, Russell, and Clarkson pan out well this year, then that's a good young core to build with.

You could get two max players to collude to play with each other.

7. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

I'd take em if it was just a salary dump and we'd only have to send scrubs and 2nd round picks.

8. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If Hibbert is on the block, and I think he might be, I would absolutely take him. A big dude, hard worker, and a rim protector? Who wouldn't want that? He has worked with Kareem and not too long ago he single-handedly kept Indiana in a series against LeBron and the Heat.

I'd absolutely take Hibbert. He's better than Ed Davis and Jordan Hill who are basically the only two Centers left after Lopez takes NY's money.

9. pop pop

pop pop - Rookie -

If we fail to get anybody, I don't see why not take those trades as long as we get first round picks out of them - preferably 2017 cuz I think I read that it was supposed to be deep and 2016 being weak. I think that would give us a mediocre team leaving the 76ers with later draft pick.

10. TheGreatOneKobe

TheGreatOneKobe - Rookie -

Btw f*** you Marc Gasol, we drafted you and your brother "that had a rough time the past 3 years" has two rings thanks to us.

Go f*** yourself, let's see how many ring you get in Memphis. f*** this I'm bitter

therealdeal likes this.
  11. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I have never seen a group freak out to rival this one:

[​IMG]

I like getting minute by minute info as much as anyone, but twitter is killing some of you. Virtually every negative tweet has been discredited later by completely conflicting info. DJ "says" our presentation was unimpressive. Next minute we hear that he says our presentation was "very professional". We didn't bother to send anyone except Mitch + Byron to meet with DJ. Next minute we learn that we had a full team of presenters for DJ. We didn't offer Monroe the max. Next minute we learn that we did offer him the max. The clarifying reports are ignored because everyone is too caught up in freaking out over the inaccurate negative initial report.

This is the classic confirmation bias scenario. Most here now want Mitch run out of town when you were singing his praises & building his statue after our back to back trophies just 5 years ago. He's the same guy. Kobe trusts him. Mitch is not a salesman, but no big FA is going to sign with us because we "sold" them on coming. They are going to come when we show we have a solid team. I'm calling it now. Mitch will get us solid again, and when he does, we will sign the right guy then.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    We've had a lot of cash for the last two offseasons, that doesn't mean s***. Build a damn roster that someone sees as worthwhile. Cap space is overrated and the summer of 2016, 2017, 2018 isn't going to cut it anymore. Get what you can from this FA period and move on. We got a max deal with cap space and another one with Kobe off the books next season, build a damn team for once.

alam1108, JSM, lakerjones and 3 others like this.
  13. TheGreatOneKobe

Hasn't Mitch said he'll be retiring soon??

14. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

While I agree with your sentiment, 2016 is also another story...

15. TheGreatOneKobe

Another bad story if last year and this year are any indications

alam1108 likes this.
  16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Well, Ding did say on NBA TV that the fact that there were so many bigs in FA was part of the decision making when he was breaking the story that they would pick DAR. Later he posted that Mitch said it had nothing to do with it and they just liked Russell better. But Ding and Rick Fox too were justifying it on TV and I was PO'd about it. Again our FO denied that though.

I am still upset about the pick, not that I think Russell isn't a good player, but for all of the age old reasoning that I still believe in. You get a (close to) 7 footer with tons of skill in the draft if that's a possibility. It's the hardest part of this NBA team equation to get. And we're seeing that play out now. Bigs are always at a premium. Every team in the league just about has a good PG already, and actually we did too in Clarkson.

I was really excited about our possible young core if we had taken Okafor - it would have been a very balanced group to build around with a PG in Clarkson, SF in Randle and C in Okafor. Then we would have been focused on grabbing a SF like Carroll or Harris and a backup veteran PG. If we could have afforded another backup 4/5 to go with it, great, if not we'd still be in good shape for building around that core for the future and hopefully adding one of the big names next year.

Now with our current roster of Russell, Clarkson and Randle, I just don't know. It's not balanced at all. 2 PG/combo guards and small PF. Not so balanced.

JSM and EJones06 like this.
  17. jerryr88

jerryr88 - Rookie -

is his defense that good? if so then i'll change my mind about him especially if we strike out with other bigs

i was under the impression he was a bust and sucked at life

18. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

So, assuming Bynum's knee operation in Germany went well and he's been rehabbing and polishing his game this past year, maybe....aw f*** it nevermind I need a beer.

alam1108 and TheGreatOneKobe like this.
  19. The Rock

The Rock - Lakers Starter -

This is embarrassing. Knicks get Robin Lopez, Bucks get Monroe...Lakers get nada. Damn

20. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

I don't want Hibbert. Has he done anything of significance since he signed his max contract?