2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
  2. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    Has anyone mentioned kriss middleton ? Jabari makes him expendable. I think hes a great young talent. Lakers should go
    for him this summer.

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Matthews...

4. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Just go with the All-Achilles team. Get an unprotected 1st from Detroit to take on the last year of Jennings' contract like we did with Lin. Give Matthews a cheap 2 year deal with a team option so we can see how he comes back. Trade Nick Young + Hou 1st for Trey Burke as our Jennings insurance. Still have enough left to sign Middleton, who is a younger/better replacement for Young.

Young core of Okafor, Randle, Middleton, Burke, Clarkson. If Wes & Jennings come back from the achilles as well as Kobe did, we're a playoff team. If not, we might still be a playoff team.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    Dang. I woke up and read the news of Matthews and felt as bad as I would if he was on the Lakers. Tough news for a player that was ready to have a nice pay day.

I'd still take the chance on him around 5-6 million, but not anything more.

Sad news.

lakerjones, shoe and therealdeal like this.
  6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I really like Wes he has a great story about getting into the NBA. I think since his game isn't based on athleticism at all he can bounce back from this, but s*** he just lost so much money. What a bummer man.

I'd love if we found a way to get to him still, but I don't know how much I'd pay to take a shot at it.

lakerjones likes this.
  7. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

8. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

9. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

No to Rondo. He needs a stacked team around him to be effective.

10. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Not sure if other people have also said it, but I've posted that numerous times on different boards. I have a dude in my office that is a diehard Cetics fan (from Boston) and has talked about how worried C bag fans were that Ainge was going to max him out. C bag fans aren't just "not really upset." A lot of them are happy he's gone, even if it was for nothing because it meant they weren't going to resign him to a lucrative, long-term deal.

11. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

Thats the point i think Rondo + a quality SF for 20 mil are more valuable than Dragic for the same money, but Rondo right now is maybe 2-3 mil above Lin (the way he is playing ATM) and that is around 7-9 Isaiah Thomas range.
    And if you look at another angle, Lin(ATM) and Thomas(in Phoenix) are playing against benches most of the time, Clarkson is puting up very solid production against starters on a very bad team for rookie minimum...

12. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    If the evil empire's minions were glad to see him go, if he's playing terribly with Dallas, if he's been injured for much of the last few seasons, and he's forgotten how to defend, I don't want him (Rondo).

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

if rondo's price really goes that far down (I doubt it will, btw), I'd love to have him. I'd pay 12 per for 4 years. I don't think that a) he's lost all athleticism or b) he's forgotten how to play basketball.

he joined a team midseason that doesn't play a style that suits him and doesn't really have the ideal personnel around him. numbers will suffer, as will team performance. I'm guessing the 4 or 5 teams without a good pg (dallas, la, sac, maybe indy, etc.) will be willing to pay him when the time comes.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. Savory Griddles

I agree Rondo will have his share of suitors. I just don't know if there is ANY situation where it'd be wise for us to throw money at him. Let's be real. I know it's a small sample size, and you don't want to get too excited about a rookie, but Clarkson, by almost any measure, is playing better than Rondo. His PER for the entire season is higher than Rondo's, let alone since he became a starter. I'd rather not sign a pg at all this offseason and go to war with Clarkson than even have Rondo for 5-6 million per season. And it's not just "since he came to Dallas" that has me worried. Rondo has been hurt and disinterested for a few seasons now. With the emergence of Clarkson, we shouldn't be so desperate to sign somebody...anybody at the point guard spot this offseason. We still have him under contract for under one million next season. We will have an entire season to determine what Clarkson is really worth.

Short of us drafting a player that battles it out with Randle for ROY honors next season (meaning they both play out of their minds), and Clarkson taking a gigantic leap forward, we probably won't make the playoffs next season. So why commit long term to a pg this offseason that may not even be as good as the rookie we have on our roster already.

ninjagorn likes this.
  15. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer
    Wes Matthews man... I really wanted him. That's a shame. I wonder how this will affect his future. Are these injuries known to destroy careers with younglings?

16. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

he joined a team midseason that doesn't play a style that suits him and doesn't really have the ideal personnel around him. numbers will suffer, as will team performance. I'm guessing the 4 or 5 teams without a good pg (dallas, la, sac, maybe indy, etc.) will be willing to pay him when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

Then tell me what style suits him??? Having 3 first ballot HOF around him its okay, having 1 and good players around brings nothing.

17. davriver209

davriver209 - Rookie -

Police Officer

Amen. Clarkson is really coming into his own. I say keep playing the youngster. He looks like he could potentially make an impact by next season. I hope Randle is working on his jumpshot (at the very least) and we get an excellent youngster this draft.

18. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

At this point, I just want a team that doesn't get beaten down by 50 points to the Clippers 4 times a year. If Rondo can help with that, bring him on down.

19. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

I would take him at 8-10 per season, but now his price is way down, i think he will resign with Portland for a short contract(2/8). He is out for the year, and which playoff team will offer him big money for the rest of the season?

20. Savory Griddles

Exactly. This is what is really starting to make me scratch my head. There are a lot of people who say Dallas is a poor fit, or that he was playing with bad teams in Boston. He is a point guard. He is playing a position where their main duty is to make the people around them better. The only time he has had success is when he had 3 HoFs. So who was making who better? And he admits to not trying when he was in Boston on bad teams. So we pay him 10 million to be on a worse team and expect different results? The dude has had clashes with 2 of the 3 best coaches in the league. He has two bombers on his team (Dirk and Parsons) along with the best defensive center in the league and this situation isn't good enough for him? Because Monta Ellis handles the ball a little more than a typical shooting guard, he devolves into a second string caliber pg?

I feel like Laker fans are getting desperate and are willing to sign anyone. The grass is not always greener. In fact, I think it should be obvious that Lin and Clarkson have been better players than Rondo this season on the court, let alone the trouble Rondo has caused in the locker room.

Helljumper and ninjagorn like this.