2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Deng is injury prone. However, he played in 72 games last year, and was actually got quite proficient in that 'corner 3.' He had a quietly good season. We'll know next week whether he decides to opt in on his $10 million dollar contract or not...

2. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Then again who knows who they get with the #27 pick. Draft Express's mock has the Lakers picking Justin Anderson. Maybe they just go with the combo of him and Young with a dose of Randle at the 3.

3. LaVarBallsDad

I don't expect Justin Anderson to come in and contribute right away nor should we expect that from our 27th pick. A guy like Deng provides developmental time for these kids to grow at a very slow rate. Also, a guy like Deng is a quality player, a name that people know, and helps you win basketball games in the process and create a winning environment.

Sure, we could nab Anderson, but it wouldn't preclude us from adding a vet like Deng during free agency.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd add Deng, but I would also definitely draft Anderson. We're going to need depth if we go after the veterans in FA. There's some good FAs out there, but they're out there because they can't stay healthy... Maybe we finally have our luck turned around and get these guys to stay healthy or maybe they get hurt in the first week like Randle and Nash. Who knows?

For Deng I don't know what he's looking for, probably long-term security... I'd consider maybe 3/24 million on him or something. Maybe a team option for the last year. In the new CBA that'll look like a solid contract. I just can't justify going a hell of a lot more than that because of his injury history. Thibodeau really ran him into the ground.

5. Ryanwestlombardi

Retired
    So are you done with Swaggy P? I think Byron is. My feeling is if they don't get Carroll...maybe Green, D Young, and they draft Anderson, don't mess around with offers to other SF RFAs, fill other needs. Go to camp with Swaggy and Anderson, with a touch of Kobe and Randle at the 3. No one expected Clarkson to contribute last year. It's a rebuilding year so there are still going to be holes in the lineup.

6. Ryanwestlombardi

Retired
    I'd like to see them bring in healthy, young, durable FAs, Deng doesn't do it for me. Pretty sure the Heat are dumping Anderson and Chalmers to lock Deng and Wade up.

7. LaVarBallsDad

Yes, I'm done with Swaggy. We'll see. So many variable in play here. If we keep Swaggy, I think Deng is a good complement to start in front of him. He's more defensive mind, more disciplined, and a better player. Swaggy can offer a little something different, and I like that balance if Swaggy can be consistent, stop pouting, and stay engaged.

I'd add Deng in free agency, probably roll with Swaggy, and add Anderson/RHJ.

8. LaVarBallsDad

Deng has an player option. He's not a long-term solution but a viable placeholder. I'd welcome Chalmers with open arms. A 3&D point guard.

9. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

I didn't think we had a shot at him at 27. For the extra $400,000 (only) his first round salary costs against the cap, per others, hells to the no, don't move the pick. Take him.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'd give deng like, 4 years 36 million, partial guarantee on the 4th year (like 2 million or something). when you think about it, you'd be getting a proven player probably for at least two of those years on a contract that's going to be half what it would take to even get the RFA sfs (middleton et al.) to even sign an offer sheet.

if deng's useless by the third year of the deal, you only eat 10% or less of the cap on it at that point.

it would also allow the lakers to get a couple more useful guys in FA (maybe a veteran guard and big for the 8-man rotation).

i'm in. let's go.

11. LaVarBallsDad

Or you simply amnesty him.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

or stretch-waive. all options. but i'd give him a longer deal at lower money if that's what he's after. well, i'm sure he's after a longer deal at higher money, but i don't see that happening.

13. therealdeal

Does anyone know what Deng is looking for in FA?

@abeer3 we're not too far off on what we'd offer. Basically 3-4 years with the last 1-2 years either not guaranteed or as an option instead of guaranteed money. I don't know that I'd go 9 million, but maybe. Somewhere in the 8-10 range seems like the most he'd get to me on the open market... Maybe even less than that. Comparable SFs like Afflalo, Ariza, and Chandler all ended up in the 7-8 million dollar range.

14. LaVarBallsDad

@therealdeal, I don't know specifically what he's looking for...

I'm sitting here thinking; we have Lin's BIRD rights; Houston needs another ball handler/creator on their team. I know Morey moved Lin, but the primary reason that was done was to open up space for Bosh. Just throwing a scenario out there; we S&T Lin to Houston for Ariza? They could end up with another ball handler/creator in an offense that suits Lin, he's familiar with the environment, etc.

We could end up back with Ariza who would be an ideal fit back on this Lakers team. Fills a much needed wing role at a decent cost. I don't know if Morey would go for it, but it helps both teams; then, I'd probably target Chalmers.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. therealdeal

Interesting if they'd go that route. Do they have a replacement though for Ariza on their roster? I know they've got Brewer, but he's more of a SG.

If they're open to it, I'd consider it. For all intents purposes we'd be signing Ariza for about 8 million dollars... I like Trevor a lot. I think he'd be a great fit back in LA and hopefully he'd like being back here and away from those guys.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  16. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Given some of the comments Carroll has made, I still like our chances of grabbing him. I'm sure Atlanta will try to keep him, but I don't think the door has closed on us landing him.

therealdeal likes this.
  17. therealdeal

The more I think of it, the more I think they probably just pay Beverly instead. He should end up being cheaper than Lin and that lets them keep Ariza. Sure he's not a creator offensively, but he's known as a good defender and he's stepped up for them in big moments.

18. LaVarBallsDad

I see Brewer as more of a SG/SF hybrid. They still have to re-sign Smith. Morey's good at finding replaceable talent on the cheap. I'm going off of Howard Beck's report that Houston still remains high on Lin and plans to pursue him in free agency. Couple that with the comments that Harden made; he said he and Morey are going to have a conversation about adding another ball handler/creator on the perimeter to alleviate the pressure off of Harden.

Re-sign Lin and just swap players. I want Trevor back...

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

Beverly is injury prone. He can't be depended upon...

20. LaVarBallsDad

This is what Harden said after the GS series:

Harden said he has plans to speak with general manager Daryl Morey about either getting a point guard in free agency or using the ones currently on the roster to help with the ballhandling.

‘Yeah, definitely, that’s one of the conversations that me and Daryl are going to have, and the coaches, is one of the pieces we need to have,’ Harden said.

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2015/05/j...allhandling-help-houston-rockets-free-agency/

From Howard Beck of Bleacher Report:

The Rockets remain high on Lin and are expected to be among his chief suitors this summer.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-rockets-to-pursue-jeremy-lin-in-free-agency/