2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I guess we're back to square one.....DeMarre Carroll

TIME, EJones06 and therealdeal like this.
  2. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

In a minor aquisition, would any of you be open to bringing in Tayshaun Prince on a 2 year deal for say 2 or 2.5 million per year? Although he's up there in age, I think he could still provide invaluable veteran leadership both on and off the court for a lakers squad next year that will be extremely young. A former NBA champion, I could see him serving as a calming presence to balance out Kobe's leadership style, similar to D-Fish. In fact, I thought bringing back Fish in 07 made a huge impact on the strides our team made in early 08 prior to Bynum's injury and the trade for Pau. Plus, by all accounts he was always a good teammate, even in his Memphis stint which could help if we try to pursue Conley next summer. Finally, he's an LA native, which can't hurt.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, especially if they take a sf at #5. If they had half a brain they'd take WCS at 5. He'd be perfect next to Vucevic and Harris. But Orlando has got to be functionally r*******. They have talent there. Like legitimately good players. Was Vaughn that horrible of a coach?

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'd be open to it for sure, but I think he'd rather go to a contender.

5. therealdeal

Well you've got Payton, Oladipo, Gordon, Vucevic, and this new pick coming in which I've heard they're going either Porzingis or Cauley-Stein whichever is available...

That's already five guys there and they're all pretty high numbered picks. Unless you give Harris the green light, I think it kind of makes sense to let him go. Of course, it'd make more sense to get value in return and not just let him walk, but who knows? If they are forced to match a max deal I have my doubts they'd match.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Who knows what they are thinking. If they take WCS, they'd be fools not to lock Harris up with a max deal which under the new cap will be a bargain for a 17-19 ppg sf. Aaron Gordon's rookie year was pretty uninspiring. If they get WCS, he is the perfect compliment to Vucevic and Harris' lack of defense (although I've read Harris can be good when he's engaged). Gordon can come off the bench as the defensive stopper. I mean, I just don't get it with Orlando, ya know? they have talent on that roster. It's so weird.

But Harris played good in the season before last too and they took Gordon when Randle was on the board. I could actually see a scenario where they take Winslow and move Harris to pf. I mean, they'd have less shot blocking than us with Okafor and Randle, but they would probably score...a lot. Orlando is a bit of a dumpster fire it seems.

7. therealdeal

I don't know what their plan is so far. I know they really liked Payton. Oladipo seems like a pretty solid young kid. Gordon was known to be a project, but they went for him anyway. They've extended Vucevic's contract. I like Vucevic, but I feel like he's pretty topped out at this point. Who on that team takes them to the next level, you know? Who on that team is the prolific scorer? Is it Oladipo?

To me, it's Harris and they ought to keep him while they can. That's why I find it weird that there's mixed reports on him staying.

8. Savory Griddles

Yeah. The problem is they've been JUST good enough to prevent them from having a good shot at the top 3 picks where that franchise guy is usually found. It's kind of similar to Boston and why I don't understand why Ainge gets all this praise. Yes, they have a bunch of draft picks. But they are all in the teens. The chances of picking up that guy in the teens is low. They are going to stockpile role players. Not that I'm sad about the C Bags being stuck in mediocrity.

EJones06 and therealdeal like this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

The Miami Heat already know Goran Dragic is bypassing his player option for next season to become a free agent July 1, but league sources say they plan to be highly aggressive in trying to secure a commitment from their new point guard early in free agency.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Heat are planning to offer Dragic a five-year deal in excess of $80 million to keep him in Miami after acquiring the 2014 All-NBA third-team selection from Phoenix on trade deadline day in February.

Only Miami can offer a five-year deal this summer to Dragic, who told local reporters after the season that he "had a great time" with the Heat despite missing out on the playoffs. He said on more than one occasion that "I want to come back."

Heat president Pat Riley has likewise expressed confidence in Miami's ability to retain him, saying at a season-ending media availability two months ago: "If he doesn't sign, my a** will be in that seat [next to reporters] ‎next year."

A five-year maximum deal for Dragic would exceed $100 million, but Miami also might find itself dealing with Dwyane Wade's free agency one summer earlier than expected if Wade decides to bypass his $16.1 million player option for next season. The Heat also await a decision from Luol Deng about his plans to either invoke next season's $10.2 million player option or opt for free agency.

Four-year offers from interested rival suitors in Dragic, such as the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks, can go as high as $85 million.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13122962/miami-heat-plan-offer-goran-dragic-5-year-80-million-deal

10. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

If Miami is only offering 80 over 5 the Lakers could steal him by offering the same amount or slightly more over 4 years.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Hopefully they put a stop to this foolish interest with Dragic and concentrate on a legitimate starting SF.

TIME, tada, lakerjones and 2 others like this.
  12. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Ugh. Please stay in Miami. I want no part of that guy.

13. therealdeal

Calling it now: there's a better chance of Wade being a Laker than Dragic.

TIME, trodgers and KobeJeterKaep like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

sort of finding myself wanting the lakers to bid on dragic just to drive Miami to the full max offer. I still don't like those guys for whatever reason...

Barnstable likes this.
  15. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Dragis has pretty nice numbers as a starter: 17.1 points, 6.2 assists, and 3.4 rebounds. He shot 48.4%-36.2%-76.7%.
    But our very own Jordan Clarkson has pretty good numbers as a starter: 15.8 points, 5.0 assists, 4.2 rebounds. He has shot 45.8-31.1-84.0.

I'm not saying Clarkson is better than Dragic. I don't believe that. I am saying that one will be 23 this season and one will be 29. One will earn 845K; one wants 16M. We can't afford to pay Dragic that kind of money when we need a wing upgrade.

Our PER by position
    PG 15.3
    SG 13.9
    SF 11.6
    PF 15.1
    C 18.1

Defensive PER by position

Differential

By Position
    PG
    JC was 16.9/18.7 for -1.8 (LA was -2.4)
    JL was 15.8/19.4 for -3.6
    RP was 11.0/22.3 for -11.3 (LA was +5.3)
    -Lin MIGHT be back; I don't think Price will be, but one thing Price did was have the team play better when he was on the court (+2.8 on offense and +2.5 on defense). Price led the PGs in that category.

SG
    KB was 17.8/18.7 for -0.9 (LA was -7.4)
    WE was 11.6/14.0 for -2.4 (LA was +6.6)
    JC was 17.9/20.9 for -3.0 (LA was -2.4)
    JB was 8.9/16.0 for -7.1 (LA was -6.7)
    -Kobe wasn't right, and he might not be again. Ellington played his role beautifully, and I favor bringing him back. Jabari's numbers are awful, but it was in limited time, and he shows potential.

SF
    WJ was 10.6/13.1 for -2.5 (LA was +0.5)
    NY was 13.8/10.9 for +2.9 (LA was +5.0)
    RK was 7.8/15.1 for -7.3 (LA was +0.3)
    -Nick Young is the ONLY player so far who has a positive score vs. opponent and a positive score as a team player. Wes's numbers aren't bad, but no one wants to see him starting. Kelly couldn't shoot a lick last season, but his ball handling and passing are big lifts.

PF
    CB was 17.5/17.4 for +0.1 (LA was -3.1)
    JH was 14.6/16.7 for -3.1 (LA was -7.2)
    RK was 9.0/16.5 for -7.5 (LA was +0.3)
    ED was 20.0/18.0 for +2.0 (LA was -0.3)
    -Statistically, Davis was our most successful PF. Boozer was probably second on that list. Both will likely be gone. Hill was abysmal. He will likely be gone, too. That leaves Julius Randle and Ryan Kelly with the addition of Tarik Black, who wasn't charted for many minutes at PF.

C
    ED was 21.8/19.8 for +2.0 (LA was -0.3)
    RS was 11.1/20.6 for -9.5 (LA was +5.8)
    JH was 20.1/21.4 for -1.3 (LA was -7.2)
    TB was 19.1/19.5 for -0.4 (LA was +5.0)
    -If Davis and Hill leave, that moves Black and Sacre into the spotlight a bit more. We know that JO is likely joining LA. He'll gobble up some of those minutes.

But we'll be left with this skeleton crew:
    Clarkson was 16.9/18.7 for -1.8 (-2.4)
    Kobe was 17.8/18.7 for -0.9 (LA was -7.4) / JB was 8.9/16.0 for -7.1 (LA was -6.7)
    NY was 13.8/10.9 for +2.9 (LA was +5.0) / RK was 7.8/15.1 for -7.3 (LA was +0.3)
    JR - basically a rookie / RK was 9.0/16.5 for -7.5 (LA was +0.3)
    JO - a rookie/RS was 11.1/20.6 for -9.5 (LA was +5.8) / TB was 19.1/19.5 for -0.4 (LA was +5.0)

Y'all, that ain't good. Need another PG. Need another SG. Need another SF. Need another big.

16. EJones06

EJones06 - Rookie -

Couldn't agree more. People are praising him as if he's Daryl Morey 2.0. Only problem is, Daryl had the foresight to see Hardens potential as a max star and wisely traded for him using the picks he creatively maneuvered to stock . Ainge on the other hand...gathered picks via the trades of Paul Pierce, a franchise icon, and KG, a hall of famer handed to him on a silver platter by his bro McHale who was in Minnesota at the time. This on top of the fact that he let Ray Allen walk for nothing, and traded Rondo at one of his lowest peak values coming off some major injuries. Oh and his remaining picks came via the trade of Doc Rivers, who basically forced his way out of Boston knowing there's no real reason to waste time sitting through a rebuild for them.

17. therealdeal

I'm not a fan at all of the way the C Bags are rebuilding. I know the media and some fans all absolutely loved the C Bags stockpiling picks, but now the draft is four days away and even the C Bags don't want their picks. In fact all their shuffling got them one extra pick over us this season somewhere in the 40s.

Among the bottom teams now the ones with the most solid young talent are Minnesota and Orlando then probably us honestly. I'm not a huge fan of all of Boston's young players. I think their rebuild strategy is the one we don't want to do and the one Philly is doing: bide time until you find your next Paul Pierce.

18. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Yeah, the value of those Boston picks is dropping by the second. I mean, there will be a few draft day developments that make certain picks really appealing, but you can't build a team paying a ton of dudes rookie first round deals. They're not all cost effective.

therealdeal likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    You also have to spend a certain amount of money. Can't have all rookie contracts. Not even close.

Their young coach has done great with their talent though

20. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Very possible they might. It's definitely not out off the question.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.