2015 Free Agent Discussion

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ShowTime_IR, Nov 3, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

It's much easier to bench Lin than Rondo. I'd prefer Rondo coming off the bench anyway. I like Clarkson more as a player and a person. He's earned his starting spot. If we get Rondo, I'd want him here like a good puppy earning his stripes back and then maybe one day finding his way into the starting lineup somehow.

If I'm the Lakers, Rondo isn't one of my first ten calls. Gasol, Aldridge, maybe Love, Carroll, Danny Green, Harris, Draymond Green, DeAndre Jordan, Mo Williams, Wayne Ellington, Ed Davis, Robin Lopez, Omer Asik, Tyson Chandler, Goran Dragic, and then maybe Rondo would be somewhere around there.

JSM likes this.
  2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    In regards to Rondo, I tell him to go around the league, see what other teams are paying to get his services and report back to me. If the number is small, I'm trying to sign him. I don't care what happened in Dallas to be honest because I wouldn't be bringing him in as a Big 3 type player. He would be my off the bench, spot starter at the PG position to run the offense for the bench.

1.) Mo Williams
    2.) Rondo
    3.) Rodney Stuckey
    4.) CJ Watson

That's my order for backup PG's I want this offseason. The caveat being < 5 million or take a hike because I'm not going to break the bank for them.

trodgers and therealdeal like this.
  3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the more I think about FA, the less I see any really good opportunities this year.

I mean, lin and ed davis on relatively low money deals might end up being a good thing given the likely unavailability of most of the names we throw around here.

if the lakers hadn't snagged the 2 pick, I'd be a sad panda right now.

tada likes this.
  4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

^ I'd like Lin and Davis back too.

5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Chicago Bulls restricted free-agent guard Jimmy Butler has plans to pursue shorter-term offer sheets this summer, resisting the Bulls’ initial plans to offer him a five-year, maximum contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As the NBA’s salary cap is set to dramatically rise beginning with the 2016-17 season, Butler has become far less interested in locking himself into the five-year, $90 million-plus deal the Bulls are expected to present him on July 1, league sources said.

For Chicago, there’s no challenge to retaining Butler. As a restricted free agent, the Bulls have matching rights on any offer sheet. Nevertheless, Chicago could be faced with Butler’s agents at Relativity Media, Happy Walters and Steve McCaskill, loading up a short-term offer sheet that includes a trade kicker and the potential loss of Butler to unrestricted free agency in 2017.

As Butler spends time in Los Angeles this summer, a stretch that’s included an overseas “Entourage” promotional jaunt with producer Mark Wahlberg, Butler’s intrigue with signing a potential Los Angeles Lakers offer sheet has increased, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
    Butler has preliminary plans to pursue meetings with several teams once free agency starts in July, sources said.

Several teams pursuing Butler told Yahoo Sports that they’re under the impression a short-term, max money offer sheet is the wisest way to approach Butler this summer.
    Unless Bulls officials bring Butler a shorter-term deal that’s more favorable to his long-term earning power, they’ll likely be waiting to match an offer sheet, league sources said.
    Butler could sign a three-year offer sheet that guarantees him $50 million, but allows for a player option on the third year that could allow him to move into unrestricted free agency and re-sign for a five-year, maximum deal worth as much as $190 million.

It is understandable why Chicago wants Butler locked into a five-year, $90 million max extension under the current salary structure, but that appears to be a deal Butler plans to pass on.
    Chicago has to sell Butler on a post-Tom Thibodeau era under Fred Hoiberg to get him fully comfortable with the franchise’s direction. What’s more, there’s an increasing belief surrounding Butler and point guard Derrick Rose that they need to come to a greater understanding about how to best co-exist on the floor.

The Bulls understand that Butler had the staying power to turn down a four-year, $44 million extension (four-year, $48 million would’ve gotten the Bulls a deal, sources said) during an exclusive negotiating window in October, and they’ll have to wonder too: If there’s a player with the conviction to risk playing out the 2015-16 season for his $4.4 million qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent in 2016, it could be Butler. Nevertheless, that’ll be considered a long shot in the process.

At 25 years old, Butler had his best NBA season, earning a spot on the Eastern Conference All-Star team. An elite two-way player, Butler averaged 20 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game. His career averages are 11.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and two assists. He was the 30th overall pick in the 2011 NBA draft. He was voted the NBA’s Most Improved Player this season

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

6. LaVarBallsDad

Edited: posted the whole thing. Do it Mitch. Get Jimmy Butler, damn it!!!!!

7. therealdeal

I've got a feeling Jimmy would be a star here in LA.

SIgn the 50 million dollar deal with us Jimmy! You'll still be in Chicago for two years, but we'll save some room for ya.

8. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    IF Kobe, Randle and Okafor are healthy, I will guarantee the offense will not "crash & burn".

therealdeal likes this.
  9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

If we could go into next season with Jah and Butler joining our starting lineup, I'd say we won the off season. Jimmy, do whatever it takes. You, your agent, and Mitch each need a hell of a wizard wand AND jedi mind tricks to convince the a bulls not to match.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  10. LaVarBallsDad

If I knew you in person, I'd wager you on that. I bet we end up in the bottom 5 in EVERY category on the offensive side of the ball next season. That's even with a healthy Okafor, Randle, and Kobe who will most likely miss some games. Byron is a bottom 5 coach, IMO.

trodgers likes this.
  11. Doc Brown

Doctorin'
    I'll be happy enough if he signs the offer sheet here. That's a big step into getting him in 2017. Keep up the good relationships and get the crew in LA he's hanging with in his ear and that's money for us.

Anyway this rumor wouldn't be complete without.....

Lin / Young / 27 / 34 for Butler.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

What if it took Clarkson+Young+27 for Butler+22?

13. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    We can do some kind of site bet, like avatar choice or siggy if you want.

14. LaVarBallsDad

Nope. We wait it out. I don't include Clarkson/Randle in any deal until I see what they can do together...

Barnstable and trodgers like this.
  15. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    That's a verrry good offer. I do it, and then take Anderson or Delon Wright with the 22.

therealdeal likes this.
  16. Doc Brown

Doctorin'
    I'd say, in two seasons the starting lineup of Clarkson/Butler/Randle/Okafor will be visiting Chicago and spanking that a**. (Click)

therealdeal likes this.
  17. LaVarBallsDad

Works for me.

18. therealdeal

Man... Butler would be so damn noice.

Say this summer you sign him, Chicago waits and then matches. While we're waiting, use the rest of the cash to pick-up a veteran Center (probably Ed Davis) and maybe sign Wayne Ellington. Then three days later, throw similar cash amounts at Carroll. Use the left over cash to figure out the back-up PG situation.

Next summer we've got crazy money to spend. Make an offer to Durant with the express knowledge that next summer we can go get Butler. Maybe give Kobe a one year deal. Next summer go get Butler. Pipe dream becomes pipe reality.

Clarkson/Rondo
    Butler
    Durant/Carroll
    Randle/Black
    Okafor/Davis

Funky time in LA.

19. LaVarBallsDad

Is DeRozan getting maxed out when he becomes a free agent?

therealdeal and trodgers like this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

He's making $10,000,000. I'm wondering what he will command on the open market. I still want Conley in 2016 as well. Durant I think we pursue but goes somewhere else; damn, so many possibilities...