Your Preference For Lakers No.2 Pick

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by tada, May 20, 2015.

?

Lakers should pick...

1. Karl Anthony Towns

39.2%
  2. Jahlil Okafor

55.4%
  3. D'Angelo Russell

4.1%
  4. Emmanuel Mudiay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. OTHER

1.4%
  1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Please vote and post your reasoning

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

OK I'll start.

I like Okafor because...
    1. He has the highest floor
    2. He's a legitimate #1 option on offense
    3. He is the easiest prospect to build around

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Let's go! Damn, let's do this; gun to my head I have to make a choice. I'm going Karl-Anthony Towns, but that in no ways is a reflection of Okafor; I would be ecstatic with him, too. You want reasoning???? Wow. You're making go the extra mile. :)

Reasoning: His strengths read almost perfect for Randle's Weaknesses; pick in roll defense, rim protection, outside shooting, good rebounder. At this point, it's just all about 'fit' for me and not necessarily about the talent. You could argue the better player until you're blue in the face. I won't do that. I think their both even talented prospects, and while I do have the philosophy of going with the best player available, when two prospects are neck in neck like this for me, I'll go with fit. Towns is just the better fit.

Although, this could change with workouts, this could change with personnel. One thing I will say, though; Mitch is an absolute master at constructing championship rosters, so even if we settle for Okafor, I'll trust Mitch to put the pieces around him and the team as a whole to make it work. He might have to move some people around (trade), but I trust he'll put the best team on the floor possible.

I'll also starting posting some analytics in regards to the two prospects in the NBA Draft Thread...

4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Okafor

1. Highest Floor
    2. We have one season to create a desirable situation for Durant. Okafor is more "Day One" ready to make next year's team more impressive.
    3. Doesn't appear to be the injury risk Towns may be (granted, you can't really predict those things).
    4. Since Byron Scott is our coach for the foreseeable future, Okafor is a better fit I think with Scott's "Old School" outlook.

therealdeal, JSM and tada like this.
  5. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

You just might be right on the first two; however, easiest prospect to build around; I'm not so sure. I think it'd be much easier build around a defensive anchor than it is without one. He'll need a defensive minded 4, capable defenders on the perimeter/shooters, and I think he'll be good to go. If Randle develops that jump shot/defensive minded mentality, then part of our problem is solved.

Funny enough, I was thinking about it this morning...you know who just might fit with Okafor. Tarik Black. If Black develops a jump shot out to 15' feet, he's a good pick in roll defender, does better guarding 5's than 4's, a decent rim protector; that intrigues me.

6. shoe

shoe - Rookie -

Leaning towards Towns at the moment. I'll defintely keep flip flopping for the next month.

7. ninjagorn

ninjagorn - Rookie -

Towns, defense and better pairing with Randle.

8. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

Disclaimer: I am totally stoked with whichever of the two we get.

But...gun to the head, give me Okafor. Grown man post up game that WILL command a double team over time. People make a big deal over his lack of athleticism but look at Marc Gasol.

therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  9. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

I love towns but okafor is not a bad thing to have to have. To me Towns has upside of D12 athleticism (circa 2009) and blend of being both a 5 and stretch 4. There is a video out there of towns against anthony davis when towns was playing for Dominican Republic which gives you a sense of how towns has been working on his game to compete with the Anthony Davis of the world. Towns could be another Anthony Davis. Okafor reminds me a lot of Timmy Duncan at Wake. Such great post moves. I think his calm game might make people think he is soft - he is a blend of Akeem and Duncan for upside and I guess no worse than Al Horford as downside.

10. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

"...and with the number 2 pick in the NBA draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Frank Kaminsky from Wisconsin.."

11. southbaylakers72

12. pound4pound

Jimmy Buss: i had to override Mitch because i felt he would be the perfect fit

i'd do a drive by at Jimmy's house myself

13. southbaylakers72

Flashes of Andrew Bynum just went through my head

But you are wrong - if Jimmy Buss made the move he'd trade down for Sacto pick and Demarcus Cousins giving up Ed Davis, Nick Young, Jordan Hill, and No 27 and 34 pick and then draft Mudiay.

14. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I'm leaning Okafor right now. I posted a ton of links in the other thread that are worth the read on him.

Like others have mentioned, I think he can contribute from day one. He is one of a handful of guys who I think can instantly contribute to a team in some form. In a relatively short time, I think he will be one of the top interior scorers in the league.

I had two big concerns with him, but they have lessened a bit. One was his conditioning, but he definitely seems to be addressing that. The other was of course his defense. But, I tend to agree with is trainer on this. I'm not sure he will ever be a true rim protector, but I think he is a bit better defensively than he is getting credit for. I think the tools are there for him to become a solid defender especially given how quickly he seems to pick up different aspects of the game.

tada likes this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I respectively disagree.

Towns is a jack-of-all-trades kind of prospect. The scouts drool over him because he does everything good to great, and has an immense ceiling. He is also a big that can shoot, which goes with the trend of our perimeter-oriented league.

Okafor is an unstoppable offensive weapon. You could compensate for Town's versatility with other pieces, but you simply can't replace Okafor's offense. Surround him with shooters that can defend and we're good to go. So many of these NBA games go to the wire, and most of the time, good offense beats good defense. With Okafor, you could feed him the ball in the post and expect a bucket. That is a HUGE luxury to have.

And I feel Okafor is a capable defender. Constant comparisons with Towns have exagerated Okafor's weakness as a defender. Fact is, Towns only played 2/3 of the amount that Okafor did. Okafor carried his team on offense where Towns could exert 100% of his energy when he played. Anyone would look better under those circumstances.

LaVarBallsDad and ElginTheGreat like this.
  16. pound4pound

all i hope for is our #2 pick this year has a career like our last #2 pick lol

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  17. CarolinaLakerFan

CarolinaLakerFan - Lakers 6th Man -

I think Okafor's lack of defensive acumen had more to do with Coach K needing him to stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble than anything else. Towns on the other hand could afford to gamble more defensively because Coach Cal had Cauley-Stein and the crew on the back end as well.

therealdeal and TIME like this.
  18. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I prefer Towns because he has a cooler name and better eyebrows.

But Okafor's got some decent brows too.

Anthony Davis taught me that it's all about the brows.

19. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    This.

Something to keep in mind is FT shooting. Okafor needs to improve in that area big time. I'm leaning Towns, but won't shed any tears when we end up with either of them.

raviator, therealdeal and lakerjones like this.
  20. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I can't decide yet! I'm just so stoked that we got the number 2!! Totally awesome. Choosing between the two best bigs in the draft? Wow. I'm thrilled. Later I'll make my vote.

For now, ever so slightly leaning towards Okafor. That polished low post game he has is just unreal and I'd love to have that on our squad every night. I think he could work on D and also I feel like he was told not to get into foul trouble in college. He's strong and I think he'll use his body more down low on D in the NBA.

But Towns is a phenomenal prospect as well. He's got so much potential.

Luckily, the choice will undoubtedly be made for us by Minny anyway. That is unless they go completely outside the box and choose someone other than the two bigs.

therealdeal and tada like this.