Would It Be More Merciful To Trade Kobe Bryant?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ILikeLakers, Oct 29, 2014.

1. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

You have to understand many members here are Kobe fans first before being Lakers fans ...

ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  2. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Trade Kobe? Who would want him? Our trading partner would have to send half their team just to match the salary and we wouldn't have any roster space to take them in. Just won't work unless they send a max player back, which no one in their right mind would.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

We will see. Silly or not, the more I think about it the more I worry about it in the back of my head. I am a Laker fan first, but I might throw up if I see Kobe, Fisher, and Jackson smiling for a Knicks photo while we pray for a top 5 pick.

I do not think we want to trade Kobe. But I continue to question if Kobe will be able to deal with the losing. The team needs a lot of work to get to even being competitive much less winning. I expect another blowout tonight from the Clippers, especially since they were pretty lackluster last night.

Bottom line, I will probably end up over analyzing Kobe's body language to death. Lol.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm a Laker fan first, but I share the same fanhood for Kobe. To me, it's not a matter of trading Kobe because it's Kobe, it's a matter of even after all of sh$@# we've gone through, the Lakers are still an organization that still appreciates their franchise player.

@southbaylakers72
    No offense to Fish, but neither him, Shaq, or Horry were in the same category of what Kobe is to this organization. I highly doubt if Magic had a full career, Jerry would never had traded him just to "rebuild". As we have been in a "rebuild" mode for awhile, the Lakers have too much pride to admit it, but are always constantly looking to improve without losing key pieces so that we can get back to contention as quickly as possible. My opinion of why the Lakers are 10x the organization that Boston is despite them being 1 championship ahead of us is that at least we stay relevant and competitive as often as we can, and not go through a 20 year drought. That's why we're the Lakers. That's why we don't trade Kobe.

ElginTheGreat, TIME and lakerjones like this.
  5. ArC_man

ArC_man - Rookie -

As Dr. Buss would say, you don't trade a ten-carat diamond for 10 one-carat diamonds. Morality and sentimentality aside, we have plenty of contracts that would be easier to trade (I'm looking at guys like Hill, Lin, or even the Nash expiring).

ElginTheGreat, TIME, XXIV and 2 others like this.
  6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Boom! That's it. NIce post ArC_man.

TIME likes this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

THIS.

Guys, I get it. This year is going to be awful. Kobe is going to HATE it. WE are going to hate it. But our future is bright and everyone needs to exhibit a little patience.

Even if Kobe has to sit out this season with some trumped up injury, it wouldn't make sense for the Lakers to trade him. Especially not to the God-awful Knicks. What would we get in return for him? Amar'e Stoudemire? Tim Hardaway Jr.? Picks in 2045, 2047, and 2071? The Knicks are in almost a worse position than we are. They have just enough talent to get to the playoffs in the shallow East, but not enough talent to do anything with it. They have less cap room than we do and just as limited talent. They lucked into one win against a good team and everyone forgets that they were destroyed by Chicago? No. They're a bad team. Just as bad as we are. We'll win a game or two as well and hopefully people understand that.

There's no reason for us to trade Kobe Bryant. We paid him over market value and he knew the deal when he took it would mean a team like this. They're bad in part because of him. I think he's too high character to take the money then demand a trade. Especially of a franchise that has made him popular (and therefore rich) beyond his wildest dreams.

What I see happening is he twists and ankle or bruises a shoulder and they sit him and the injury "lingers" and he just fades away and waits until next season. Next season it's starting to look like we'll have a top 5 pick, Randle back, maybe Lin and Davis back, AND at least 35 million dollars to spend on more free agents. We'll be fine. Rebuilds take time and patience, not trading the franchise's best (or second best) player two games into the year!

8. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

If we go based off the comments of Lakers ownership and Kobe himself neither side wants him to traded. Like real mentioned, our future is looking pretty good given our cap space and young upcoming players in Randle/Clarkson. If we can make the right/smart moves next season I think we can be a much better team.

TIME likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i think the soonest this is fixed is year after next. but no, you don't trade kobe. that won't fix anything.

TIME and lakerjones like this.
  10. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Enough with the Kobe fan first crap. I was a Lakers fan before Kobe was born. No exaggeration.

11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yeah, ship his a** out...(I'm kidding)

therealdeal and ElginTheGreat like this.
  12. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    I do not see Kobe Bryant being able to stomach this for this year, and probably next. His last hurrah, two years of missing the playoffs, being blamed for the Lakers demise, with the frustration boiling over in tirades on the court and in the press. The best thing for him would be an exit ....and out of all the teams out there that could trade for him, and probably would, the Phil Jackson, Derek Fisher Knicks would be the only one I feel he'd go to...
    check it out...Lakers get two young players with the matching contract that is one year less than Kobe's, the Knicks get the buzz, excitement of a re energized Kobe Bryant re united with his mentor and fav team mate
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=oek3dpn
    even better in my opinion

13. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

1. Why would the Lakers do that?
    2. The implications by the fans of trading Kobe would be far too disastrous. We're talking, Lakers 2000 championship disastrous.

14. ILikeLakers

ILikeLakers - Rookie -

not sure I know those players beside stoudemire
    are they any good?

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Larkin is eh and Early is nothing. No thank you.

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

LOL. Kobe isn't going anywhere. He's going through this travesty of a season with us...

17. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Here's my deal: you don't trade Icon players. I can only remember the Lakers doing that once with Shaq. You don't trade Jerry West, or Elgin, or Wilt, or Kareem, or Magic, or Kobe. You just don't.

ElginTheGreat and XXIV like this.
  18. Jb8

Jb8 - Rookie -

48 million dollars will make sure he stomachs it. The blaming and tirades he's experiencing now are nothing compared to the ones he will receive if he forces a trade to New York.

In addition, the potential backlash/ratings drop the Lakers will suffer from trading Kobe will allow the fo to tolerate such demands.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  19. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Dr buss was a better poker player than that. You don't get rich by continuing to jam a square peg in a round hole. You don't bluff 10 times in a row when you don't have a hand. Even if you have an ace in the hole.

20. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

phily trade of barkley being a prime example but buss was always ahead of the curve and not willing to let sentimental feelings get in the way of winning. I have said I don't want kobe to go but aside from kobe sitting and truly tanking we as fans get zero out of watching him hit jumpers over three defenders. Doesn't get me excited at all.