Would It Be More Merciful To Trade Kobe Bryant?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by ILikeLakers, Oct 29, 2014.

1. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Interesting. I haven't watched those players much, but I think that if I'm Mitch I'd have to be open to at least looking at options.

2. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I just don't get why in the world we would this. You have literally one marquee player left on this team - a legendary hall of fame, top 5 all time player in Kobe Bryant in his last seasons as a pro. Kobe's not the issue. We are going to lose games no matter what. We have max cap room for signing free agents next year no matter what. The problem isn't Kobe. The problem is getting some other players to sign here instead of their own teams which can offer them a fifth year as in Gasol with Memphis, Durant with OKC . . . Kobe isn't an impediment to that.

We have nothing to gain by trading away our only attraction for putting fans in the seats and justifying our 2-5 billion dollar television contract.

The Knicks ain't getting Kobe Bryant. Screw that. So that Phil can get the better of us? Hells to the no.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Wow. I can't lie. I laughed this off initially, but that article is interesting. I can't see the team just surrendering like this. I especially can't see us trading him to Mark Cuban.

The Knicks though..... It's the one trade I can see Kobe signing off on. He is good with Fisher and Carmelo and probably respects Phil more than anyone else in the league.

4. ElginTheGreat

I completely agree with this....but, there was one thing last night that I couldn't help but notice. Kobe was clearly frustrated. It's just game 2. I honestly think we could be at the beginning of a double digit losing streak. Can we rule out Kobe pushing his way out of here when the toll of all the losing really hits him?

lakerjones likes this.
  5. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
  6. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

If you are a Laker fan. You have to want what is best for the franchise. Shaq was traded. Fish was allowed to leave. Horry was allowed to leave. Magic retired twice. I don't want to see Kobe leave and would hate to see him in a Knick, Mavs, or other uniform but - if we could rebuild and gain young talent and draft picks (and we are going to suck this season anyway - with the risk of Kobe not making it through a full season), you have to wonder -what would Jerry and Jerry (Buss and West) do? I know this, Buss and West both HATED to see the lakers lose and could not stand for a second futility. While Jerry B was a very generous and loyal soul, he was all business. Wonder if Kobe lasts an entire season - if I were him, its not enough to simply chase MJ for all time points, to play with a bunch of losers. Elgin Baylor hung on a year too long....Kobe's effort to return to greatness (in a Laker uniform) is understandable and admirable but I think his days are numbered.

7. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Dr. Buss would not even have considered trading Kobe. The Elgin comparison is not close. Elgin was not scoring 30 in his last season.

8. southbaylakers72

If you say so. And what I mean by that is, Elgin hung on too long. Yes, Kobe can still shoot (man he looks good) but the wheels are off this semblance of a team. Time to re-imagine things. Trust me, I don't want to see the man leave but its too sad to watch a great one suffer like this. He doesn't deserve this and its not going to get better.

9. lakerjones

Good post Elgin. I know, he was visibly extremely frustrated and cranky last night. Not that I blame him. But on the other hand he has to keep his temper in check and understand that it's going to be a rough ride this year. He isn't exactly a patient person (see summer 2007). But even he has to realize that this is not a quick fix. He has to allow this squad to go through some growing pains. New coach, new players for the most part, and all of it against a crazy competitive Western Conference that we are going to struggle against. In other words he needs to keep his Kobe attitude but channel it the right way and not get too aggro on the situation or his teammates. B. Scott may have to do some damage control at some point. We'll see.

Sure, there always is the possibility of Kobe demanding a trade to NY at some point. I don't think he'll go that far with things, though. It would be pretty devastating for the Lakers, really. Our rep would be at the lowest I've ever seen since like the late 70s before Magic, and I don't even remember that era, I was too young even though I watched the occasional game.

10. southbaylakers72

Late 70's Spencer Haywood, Norm Nixon, KAJ... and an underachieving squad much like the 1996-97 Lakers.

Here's to holding on tight as we ride this season out. I think Kobe will keep it in check. He's getting paid and like all of us, we can have hope for the future...only 0-2.

lakerjones likes this.
  11. lakerjones

Not to mention the Knicks are a train wreck right now themselves. They suck, too.

therealdeal likes this.
  12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    We have a max slot opening up next year. We have a few young players we're auditioning and developing. Even if this season is an utter failure, we'll still have a draft pick and a max slot for next year.

13. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

The guy has been here for 19 years sacrificing his body. You don't trade Kobe...period.

Eric Gonzalez likes this.
  14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    He's also the only player I'd pay more than a dollar to see.

15. ElginTheGreat

I feel like that is our saving grace right now. But with the way our luck has been, I can not rule this out completely the way I want to.

16. ElginTheGreat

I DO NOT want us to trade Kobe. But I am wondering how long an aging Kobe is going to want to be here. I think he will stick this thing out and retire a Laker, but the fact this is even being discussed by journalists does trouble me on a certain level.

17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    [​IMG]

18. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

FOR-EV-ER

trodgers likes this.
  19. lakerjones

Although as soon as I say this of course they beat the Cavs. :D:D

But they still suck anyway. Cavs are overrated. Bulls will be the team to beat in the East.

20. SR05

SR05 - Rookie -

i understand the argument for trading him, i just can't get behind it. i don't care if we can improve with players for the future, get draft picks, or whatever else a trade might bring in...it just feels wrong. IMO kobe is the greatest laker in the history of lakers. that has to be worth something

lakerjones likes this.