Will The Way The Lakers Handle Nash Now Change Their Future? (ding Article)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Nov 24, 2014.

1. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I have never liked Bresnehan. He's always been a Kobe hater. I can't believe the "journalists" we are stuck with at the Times, as both you and I have mentioned often GCC. I can't believe we even lost JA Adande. Plaschke and Bresnahan? Yuck. Sad times indeed. One guy doesn't know anything about basketball (Plaschke), and the other guy doesn't care at all about our team - just a gig that he seems to despise (Bresnehan).

2. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Well, JAA was never a Kobe fan either.

lakerjones likes this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Well if we cant get him I'd rather see him to over to the East and stay there

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

You may be right but K.D. has been very vocal about his respect and appreciation of Kobe Bryant's career. It might just be possible he would like to play with Kobe for Kobe's last couple of years and experience him first hand to possibly add substance to his own career's progress from that experience. Not likely but possible.

5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Believe me, I HOPE you're right. I just don't see him being interested in us unless Kobe re-signs for less, Randle comes back fully healthy and we end up with another stud in the draft, AND we dump Byron for Ollie.

6. LTLakerFan

[​IMG]
    Yeah I agree with all that and what I would expect, save hadn't thought about the coach part. Telling you guys healthy K.D. and Randle beat LBJ and K. Love in 2 on 2 in 1 or 2 years, and bottom line that's what's really important. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

Zach Lowe was inspired by my post lol.

Full article:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/k...-lakers-absurd-present-and-unknowable-future/

8. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    ^&Rondo @20 mill doesnt count to a player that can bring a championship. Cause that wouldnt even guerentee us playoffs IMO.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

10. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

very interesting take

it seems like nash really is passionate about the lakers and part of that could be the result of the fact that he's done absolutely nothing since coming to LA. but if he's willing to stick around the organization after he finally retires, it would be a smart move on the FO's part to welcome him in and find a role for him. don't know how much it would make a difference in regards to signing big names but it could help

the sad truth is that no big name FA's want to sign with the lakers anymore, and why would they? dysfunctional FO and no real talent besides a broken down kobe on the team. LA is still a hot destination for FA's but they all want to sign with the clippers. something is going to have to change in order for the lakers to become an attractive destination once again

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Well, i think the pitch from our FO is that Kobe is going to be gone soon and that the franchise will then belong to any "big name free agents". I don't think our appeal is the same as it was in the past, but I still think the idea of being THE star on the Lakers and bringing them back to winning has to matter to some of these guys. The LA lifestyle, the weather, the way the FO has shown they take care of their stars, it has to count for something.

If anything, I think our problem is we haven't put a decent cast of role players out there to attract a star to come play with. We havent signed any of those mid-tier, not quite a star, but still great players. So in that regard why do the top free agents out there (Gasol, Durant, Aldridge, Rondo, etc) want to leave their contending teams to come to a bad one. We have to get that draft pick this season and add a really good rookie with Randle, and sign at least one of those 2nd tier stars this offseason to start to look respectable again.

therealdeal likes this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

That pick might be the most important thing the Lakers need for the next 5 years. If we don't get that asset, we've got absolutely nothing to draw a guy like Durant away. Nothing. Randle is great, but he's no Westbrook. We have no Ibaka. We have no Collison, etc. We need a draw and the best draw we can get is that pick. Then I contend get a guy like Dragic and keep some of our role players. I'd rather do that than overspend for Rondo even if Rondo is a better pitch to other FAs...

13. Weezy

You and I are on the same page, real. Need that pick to pair with Randle, and a guy like Dragic for a reasonable amount. I like Rondo, but Rondo at 20 mil per, hell no, that's not gonna fix our franchise. Dragic may have reached his ceiling, but that's still really good, and what I like about him is he's stayed pretty heathy throughout his career.

14. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

I agree with both of you.

Assume we keep our top 5 pick and are able to get Dragic for 12 and Matthews for 8. Which role players can we afford to re-sign out of Davis, Kelly, and Black? (Clarkson is still under contract, right?)

lakerjones likes this.
  15. Weezy

Isn't Kelly on a 2 year deal? Or is it a team option 2nd year? I don't know what we can afford, but I would really like to keep Davis if some team out there doesn't offer him big money. I'd like to keep Black too, don't think he will cost that much. If we have to choose, I say goodbye to Kelly.

lakerjones and Punk-101 like this.
  16. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Agree with both of you. I think Rondo would fit better with Kobe, but that's too much cash for as think as we are on talent. He cripples our other options. Whereas Dragic still leaves us with options at the wing -- Matthews, Afflalo, or W. Chandler. All three are good defenders and are good fits for a team looking to make their roster look more attractive to a big fish. I don't envy Mitch and co. one bit this summer because they can't afford to miss with this draft pick. They do and they might as well walk to the front of the unemployment line. That's the main reason I want the #1 pick, because you can't screw up if you take Okafor. Towns might end up being the better players years from now, but we're not in a position to wait. We need to make an empty roster attractive, quick. A NBA ready, polished big who joins Randle and can form a very formidable front court for a decade+ along with a jack-of-a-few-trades on the wing with Dragic able to get them all the ball in a Sportcenter Top 10 manner is appealing to a star.

Punk-101, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

^^ Agreed with Weezy. Keep Davis and Black. Not sure about Kelly but I thought maybe we had him on contract next year.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

From what Davis has said, I think he really wants to stick around. We took a chance on him and gave him a role when a lot of teams weren't. I think he'll value a long term deal with us for less than a shorter deal with more cash from elsewhere. I don't think it'd take much to keep Black either, but I definitely want him back as part of our fresh out of diapers rotation in the frontcourt.

19. LTLakerFan

20. LTLakerFan

Probably the only kind of articles those bleeps will accept based on the hate Kobe and all things Lakers "letters" they make conscious decision to post every weekend.