Why The Lakers Lost Big At The Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

While the odds of landing a true, 1A superstar in the draft may not be high the fact remains that a top 5 pick is a major asset to have. Maybe the ytrade the pick to land a piece that they like better than whoever would be available in the draft. If someone that they like is available then they have an opportunity to lock that player up on a low-cost contract for the next 5 years, and more than anything else this team needs young talent on team-friendly deals.

The fact that they didn't improve the team at the deadline speaks volumes about how important this draft pick is, and Mitch's statements today echo that point. They really had two options at the deadline: either improve the team by adding talent to build on or attempt to trade any pieces that aren't part of the long-term plan in order to increase the odds of keeping their pick.

The Lakers decided to do neither of those things. In a vacuum this isn't a terrible decision, since the team has been losing plenty as it is. Mitch likes to get top-value for his assets, and if those kinds of offers simply didn't exist for guys like Hill, Ellington, Young, or Lin then it's understandable that he would prefer to simply hang onto them rather than sell at less than full price.

But this didn't happen in a vacuum. In reality the Lakers schedule gets much easier down the stretch, which means they will likely pick up more wins. Of their tank opponents, NY and Philly both made their teams much worse, and Philly obtaining the LA pick means they will have extra incentive to force wins onto the Lakers record when the teams play each other. Minnesota has a much more difficult schedule than the Lakers, so the Wolves passing LA is far from a sure thing.

If the team has decided not to add talent at the deadline and to go for the pick that's perfectly reasonable, but if that's the case they shouldn't feel comfortable sitting in 4th and praying their just over 80% chance of keeping the pick comes through. Based on their lack of tank moves at the deadline though it appears as though that's exactly what they plan to do.

Maybe it pays off and they luck out in the lottery, get the prospect they need, and get full value for Hill at the draft or at next year's deadline. It's a big risk though, and with the fanbase in such desperate need of hope for the future losing the pick at this point would be catastrophic.

Barnstable likes this.
  2. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

No reason to worry about the Jazz after they dumped Kanter. They're tons better with Favors & Gobert getting all of the minutes.

3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Those are some nice players in top 5 so the odds are decent that could be so if we keep the pick.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

@Barnstable dropping some depressing knowledge on us!

I completely understand your hesitance to throw faith into the draft, but I just don't see us being the same as those other teams. You're right: a lot of picks end up either as wash outs, busts, or projects that will take too long for us to develop.

I just don't think that's our situation. I know I'm the resident optimist, but I see things differently. Even leaving aside the fact that the NBA really owes us that pick... If we finish the season as the 4th worst team in the NBA we have an above average shot at keeping it. Only twice since 2006 has the 4th worst team not finished in the Top 5 and I think we've got a serious chance to finish in 3rd place. Only once has a team with the 3rd worst record slipped out of the Top 5 and in fact the 3rd worst record got the #1 pick twice in that same time frame. I think there's a very good chance at getting that pick, but you're probably smarter not to count a chicken before it's hatched.

Secondly though, the Lakers have been tremendously successful through the draft. That doesn't always seem like it, especially recently since we've traded away 1sts relatively frequently in recent history. It's true though, just looking at our drafts leading back to Bynum, we've done very well with what we had.

2014- Randle (7), Clarkson (46)
    2013- Kelly (48)
    2012- Sacre (60)
    2011- Morris (41), Goudelock (46), Maduabum (56), Majok (58)
    2010- Ebanks (43), Caracter (58)
    2009- Toney Douglas (29), Patrick Beverley (42), Elonu (49)
    2008- Joe Crawford (58)
    2007- Crittenton (19), Yue (40), Marc Gasol (48)
    2006- Farmar (26), Samb (51)
    2005- Bynum (10), Turiaf (37), Von Wafer (39)

I think we have a strong recent history of finding NBA level talent in the 2nd Round. We have done a good job of finding guys we can at least get a little bit of run out of when typically there's only maybe 4-5 guys in the 2nd Round that end up doing anything in the NBA. We've done a very good job of finding role players late in the 1st round. More importantly though when we have a high pick we almost always have done well. You've got to back to the early 90s to find higher level picks that weren't necessarily very good like Peeler and Lynch, otherwise when we've had picks up over 20 we've historically done great. Picks in the Top 10 have been tremendous for us. Magic, Worthy, Eddie Jones, Andrew Bynum, and now Julius Randle.

I understand other teams have had trouble finding their stars in the draft, but we've typically done a strong job of it when we're put in this position. As long as we GET the pick, I think we're going to have a high impact player. He'll have rookie highs and lows, but I see a building block for sure.

5. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

And for that we can blame David Stern. But the proof will be in the pudding (like the NFL) are rating up in general? If so, the NBA (and the owners) don't really care because of the TV revenue and Label Licensing Agreements. As a fan, if you hate it - the way to show your protest is to not watch, not buy merchandise, sell your seats, and not come to games. Unfortunately, all I have done in that regard is stop going to games. I can't stop watching because I love basketball (which allows me to watch the unwatchable - laker losing game after game).

6. southbaylakers72

Citation - San Antonio Spurs just recalled Ryan Anderson from D-League.

7. southbaylakers72

Philly has been trying to woo the lakers for 2 years now and now holds the power to release their pick hold. What is it they are trying to do? Get us to trade Kobe for release of the protection....just saying maybe we can fleece them again....Embiid and release of rights to Lottery Pick plus bad salaries for Kobe. Dont reply just trying to figure out what Philly is doing aside from becoming the laughingstock of the league