Why The Lakers Lost Big At The Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by unpossibl1, Feb 19, 2015.

1. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

My latest on the Lakers trade deadline madness. Hang in there everyone, and keep your fingers crossed for the tank! I would love to hear your opinions!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Ryanwestlombardi and therealdeal like this.
  2. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Very precise observations. They are on thin ice, not dumping Hill and Lin somewhere could bite them in the a**.....or releasing Boozer. The upcoming games with the Knicks and 76ers will be interesting, and quite possibly amusing, and I'm betting the NBA league office will be watching closely. Minny certainly will climb out of the top 5, but now I worry about the Jazz after they dumped Kanter. A thought comes to mind, all these teams including the Lakers may do a Popovich, shut guys down with minor, or fake injuries. It's going to be quite the comedy to see play out...and who can blame them, those top 5 picks are studs.

unpossibl1 and lakerjones like this.
  3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Nobody wanted Hill&Lin. Dunno how it bites you in the behind, we needed all the draft picks or future pieces that we can get. Lin is out, but atleast we already got some picks for him. With Hill nobody wanted him for a first most likely or else IMO you have to pull the trigger. Keep his value lower now,maybe re-sign for cheaper.

4. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Our biggest assets are our rookies whom we just drafted. Randle and Clarkson. We're not parting with them.

5. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I am deeply concerned we will lose our pick somehow. I don't think anyone will drop below us, but I think I remember someone posting (was it Realdeal?) that at 4 we have like an 88% chance of keeping the pick. That's not high enough for me at this point.

6. LaVarBallsDad

7. LaVarBallsDad

I think at the 4th spot we have an 82.1% percent chance of keeping our pick. If we move the the 3rd spot, we'd have a 97% chance of keeping our pick. Top 2 guarantees it. My number might be off just a bit; but not much.

8. LaVarBallsDad

Probability of keeping the pick with finish: 1st: 100% 2nd: 100% 3rd: 96.0% 4th: 82.8% 5th: 55.2% 6th: 21.5% 7th: 15.0%

Official Savory

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  9. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

if they can finish with at least the 2nd worst record behind the knicks i'd have a lot of faith that the #1 pick will be ours. the league owes us anyways and unfortunately for them, they can't give the cavs another #1 pick this year

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

need to get to that 2nd/3rd worst spot. unfortunately, philly and nyk really upped their tank game.

this is all quite sad.

Kenzo and unpossibl1 like this.
  11. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I really don't think it's a good idea to plan for the lottery to save us.

We need to have the attitude of taking control of our own fate, and making smart moves rather than hoping the stars align and Odin blesses us with his favor by getting a high pick that actually pans out as a good/great player

This is just my opinion, but I think the lottery should never be viewed as a main plan for a return to greatness, just a happy turn of events if it happens to work out.

puffyusaf#2 likes this.
  12. Azndude2190

Azndude2190 - Lakers 6th Man -

I think there is a certain strategy to the draft though. If you do your due diligence, you can get really good players on the cheap.

Which is exactly what this team needs. We need assets above all else.

Kenzo and unpossibl1 like this.
  13. Barnstable

Everyone wants good players on the cheap, but the reality of this situation is that...

1. We have to be one of the worst teams in the league to get a better chance at getting a high draft choice

2. Even if we are one of the worst teams in the league, we could still get a pick that's lower than top 5, so Phoenix takes it

3. Only top 2 picks are guaranteed that we keep them

4. Even if we get a top 5 pick, many many top picks have washed out or been proven to just be average players

5. Unless you draft a player with ridiculous talent, they probably won't be making a big impact until their third year or so. till then, you're just seeing their potential and hoping they realize it.

6. Around the time a young player finally comes into his own, is around the time his contract is up, so essentially, you most likely have to sign that rookie you drafted twice, before they become the player you hoped they would be

Those are way too many hopes, maybes, and ifs to make into a Plan A. These rookies only become assets if all the above pans out for the most part. It would be cool if that happens, but that's not a plan for the future IMO. I've seen too many years of the Bucks and Sixers flounder and fail to think this is a good idea. Shoot, even look at the Cavs. They drafted LaBron, and haven't won d***.

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

That's due to awful scouting departments and even worse management. I agree there's no guarantee with draft picks, but our scouting department has done damn good in recent years. With a top 4 pick I have very little doubt that we can't net a top tier rookie who can contribute. How much and how soon depends on the slot, but we're infinitely better at this than those abysmal organizations.

Kenzo, unpossibl1 and Barnstable like this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

Historically speaking, Magic was drafted, Worthy was drafted, oh, and a guy named Kobe. :)

16. Barnstable

I'll agree with that for sure.

Our scouting has been much better than many other teams, but I'm still looking at our chances we have all these elements align and our chances we draft that game changer really aren't that good.

17. Barnstable

I feel like Bynum was the last game changer we drafted and that really worked for us. Too many Mike Penberthy's and Sun Yue's sprinkled in there for me to be too optimistic though

18. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Well without a doubt, I think relying on the lottery as a long-term plan is a terrible idea. I don't think any of us want to do that. But that's the position we're in right now. We're a bad team. All we can do at this point is hope that we keep our pick, and hope he develops into a cheap impact player. Regardless of whether or not that happens, I think this off-season we need to try our hardest to acquire young, talented free agents. Even if it takes us just out of the lottery and into the middling range, I'd rather try to get players like Dragic or Monroe, surround them with hard workers, and hope that they can develop together as opposed to throwing away another year to keep praying on the lottery.

LTLakerFan and unpossibl1 like this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

Real broke down our drafts the last 3 or so years; it wasn't that bad at all. There's always going to be busts, journeyman, or players that make a career out of playing overseas. We're not always going to be right with every pick. The key is though to be right more than we are wrong and that we are...

20. Barnstable

No doubt the Lakers haven't done bad a drafting over the least few years, but I get the distinct feeling most here expect to draft a major piece for our future this off season. Bynum was the last player that was confirmed to fit that category (as Randle hasn't been confirmed to be that guy yet).