Why I Criticize Luke's Offense: A Sample From The Bucks-Lakers Game

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by bfc1125roy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. laker8la24

laker8la24 - Rookie -

Here is a couple of gripes from me: I was a fan of Rondo three or four years ago but with this team and the way the game is played now, he's a terrible fit. But, even beyond that, he's just a terrible player now. For a guy with a supposedly high bball IQ, he's a dummy. He shoots the ball early in the clock because they sag off of him and dare him to shoot. He should only be shooting jumpers after the ball moves and the clock is running down. He also can't finish so every time he drives to the basket and tries one of his patented backhanded layups and gets it swatted away I cringe. But the thing that pisses me off more than anything is that everything he does has to be fancy. He wants to look good so he tries the low percentage, dangerous "thread the needle" or "no look" pass instead of hitting the simple wide open player that won't get him on SportsCenter. Sometimes he connects and everyone raves about "what a pass", but more times than not it is deflected away and/or a turnover. You're not Magic Johnson, make the simple freaking play and teach these kids how to play smart basketball. When the ball moves and we don't turn the ball over, we play good basketball.....but that rarely happens.

While were on that topic, LeBron does that crap too. When he's not pounding the ball into oblivion trying to calculate his next move while the shot clock runs out, he's constantly turning the ball over attempting difficult passes. Couple him with Rondo, and you wonder why we lead the league in turnovers.

They both play absolutely no defense either. They go for the kamikaze steal and get beat when they fail far too often. That's not good defense, that's just lazy, horrible defense.

I am just scratching the surface about all the stuff that bugs me about this team. Here I am getting angry again and I'm not even watching laker games anymore! I have decided to boycott watching Laker games until Walton is fired. I can't watch this horrible play. Luke is going to get fired because he allows this kind of play and actually encourages it. Couple that with his ridiculous rotations and you've got truly one of the worst coaches to ever walk the sidelines. One last F you from the Mitch/Buss era who hired this idiot without interviewing other candidates and doing their due diligence. Walton parlayed his bullcrap stint as the Warriors temp into a full time NBA coaching gig, and they were the idiots to fall for it.

2. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

bingo. popovich himself couldn't make lemonade out of this. of course, it wouldn't happen because he has sway with management. you think luke wanted to blow space on kcp after having him last year? lance stephenson? insubordinate rondo? i'm guessing not at all.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Woah...so the FO is stacking the deck against Luke with mercenaries and coach killers so they can fire him.

Sounds like one heck of a conspiracy theory...right? Conspiring minds wanna know!

Btw, there's been reports Rondo's been in coaching meetings and video sessions with the coaches while he was injured. Clearly insubordinate.

Maybe, his recent trash play is due to a bad back and a shooting hand needing surgical intervention twice this year. Small sample size withstanding, before the injuries, he was our best 3pt shooter and our top shooter among guards.

4. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

You have to build an offense to cater to your roster. If we don't have a lot of shooters, don't run a 4 out offense with a high PnR.

Remember the Mavs in 2011. The average age of their roster was well above 30, and many of their key players (e.g. Kidd, Marion) were well past their prime. They were also facing a much younger Heat team in the finals, with a prime LeBron, Bosh, and Wade. Instead of pushing his team to play a similar up tempo transition heavy game like the Heat, Carlisle slowed it down and picked apart Miami in the halfcourt. He played to his strengths, rather than complain about his weaknesses.

Obviously more shooting would help, but you have to do the best with the hand you're dealt. Walton clearly is not doing that.

sirronstuff likes this.
  5. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Man what happened to Hart? Almost 43% on over 5 3PA per game. Injuries have really set him back I guess.

Cookie likes this.
  6. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely injuries for him. He was forced to guard some big guys this year and he took a lot of beating, never complaining about it. Basically, it seems that Luke has run him into the ground.

7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Agree 100%

Cookie likes this.